We had no business winning this game. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We had no business winning this game.

yeah - he did have a strong 2nd half though, wouldn't have won w/o his effort, despite the TOs

Oh, no argument there. I'm just concerned for he'll see tougher defenders in the ACC than he saw today. That said, the last lob he threw to PC was a message though! :)

I think the guy in my avatar deserves some props. His decision to pressure (and to stick with the pressure even though it didn't work real well at the start) is what won the game. There is not a better "close game" coach alive.
Not afraid to admit when I am wrong. The pressure helped I am glad he took it off when we tied it.

Last edited:
Game changed when we stopped being hesitant and started to play with confidence and quick decision making. The decisiveness got Gtown defenders on their heels and caused other defenders to react as well. Which led to them being out of position to guard their own man or to get a rebound.

Good things seem to happen when they just play and don't necessarily give themselves time to think.

yeah - he did have a strong 2nd half though, wouldn't have won w/o his effort, despite the TOs

This is a good call. I think why frank can be so polarizing is because he can make great plays but when he messes up, to me, it seems like a really bad play. I hope as time goes on the number of those really bad plays reduce greatly. Oshae tyus and frank all had great stretches in this game.

Wasn't he one of the team that flagrantly boned us against Villanova a few years back?
Yes. Him and Brian O'Connell, who stood there and watched Darrun Hilliard backhand Silent G in the face during a dead ball and did nothing. A few minutes later he stood there and watched as Trevor Cooney was gang tackled by three different Nova players and did nothing. Not that I'm bitter. As for today, Stevens sucked as usual, but he did us a favor for once in his miserable life.

And Frank's seven turnovers. Yep, that's 7.
I can live with that when he has 9 assists and three steals. A couple of his tos we're stupid, a couple looked like he was getting fouled in the act of passing, and some we're good ideas but bad execution. Work on stopping the stupid and he'll be fine.

Good call to start the pressure early, as it 'changed' the game, but it didn't have that direct effect. It made GT sloppy later maybe.
We just had three kids go rogue and they actually made shots. Like a three-pronged version of Malachai against Virginia.

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose.

Brissett 9-12 from the free throw line. But nearly perfect or perfect down the stretch. I worked very hard to get him over his free throw shooting hump by giving him a nice lecture through the TV set!!!
Seriously a great ROAD win in a tough place. Georgetown could be like a 6th grade team, but will always be a big game on their court.
Plus an AMAZING, AMAZING, comeback where most teams in the world would have folded.

Brissett 9-12 from the free throw line. But nearly perfect or perfect down the stretch. I worked very hard to get him over his free throw shooting hump by giving him a nice lecture through the TV set!!!
Seriously a great ROAD win in a tough place. Georgetown could be like a 6th grade team, but will always be a big game on their court.
Plus an AMAZING, AMAZING, comeback where most teams in the world would have folded.

Yep. This^ I'm always excited when we win a game (in part) through being good at the line late. Because you know, we're SU :rolleyes: :D

Lot of comments about Frank's turnovers makes me think about at least two times Matt stayed at his wing spot instead of breaking early for the basket like he did against Colgate. I sure Jimmy had some discussions with him during and after the Colgate game. Pretty much the reason he spent most of his time on the bench. It was interesting to watch today because he was leaning and wanting to go when Frank hit him with the pass. Against Colgate he caused two turnovers for Frank.

We couldn't have won without you!!!

I spent a number of 2nd half possessions shouting at Tyus more than Frank.
During the comeback, and before he got hot, TB had a couple of “drives to nowhere” where he ended up losing the ball in traffic. IMO from about the 5 minute mark, Frank totally settled down and controlled the game. He’s getting better each game but yes, we’ll probably have to live w/ the turnovers, shaky passes, and suspect decision making for stretches at a time.

Last edited:
I spent a number of 2nd half possessions shouting at Tyus more than Frank.
During the comeback, and before he got hot, TB has a couple of “drives to nowhere” where he ended up losing the ball in traffic. IMO from about the 5 minute mark, Frank totally settled down and controlled the game. He’s getting better each game but yes, we’ll probably have to live w/ the turnovers, shaky passes, and suspect decision making for stretches at a time.
yep TB did not have a great 2nd half until the very end when he came through

We're not always going to outscore the opponent by 24 from behind the arc. To me that's the biggest anomaly.

But this team will always play D, rebound and scrap.

You can't hit your shots every night, but you can play hard every night.

I'm confident in this team's commitment to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom