we had the hardest 4 game conference stretch by the numbers | Syracusefan.com

we had the hardest 4 game conference stretch by the numbers

Millhouse

Living Legend
Took each teams schedule, got the SRS of their opponents, calculated 4 game averages, compared each teams toughest stretch.

SRS is a per game ranking. So if my average is 7 and your's is 0, my schedule is 7 points harder than yours per game

To have a 4 game stretch where the average SRS of the opponent is 12, that's like playing the 17th ranked team 4 times in a row.

Too much work to compare to historical seasons but it has got to be the hardest stretch of conference games ever for us

TeamMAX of 4gameSRSRank
Boston College313
Clemson78
Duke112
Florida State710
Georgia Tech512
Louisville511
Miami (FL)103
North Carolina214
North Carolina State79
Pitt87
Syracuse121
Virginia94
Virginia Tech86
Wake Forest95

3 of 4 on the road with a QB who couldnt throw for most of it..

I've been thinking about this a lot. I wonder what the narrative of the season would be if those games were split up in different ways. Would people be as frustrated if those games weren't back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

Really a gift dropped ball fumble by Allen and maybe the Clemson game goes our way.

Shrader able to throw just a little wins the BC game. and suddenly its 7-3 with a path to 9.

You look at the ACC 5-11 are the same broken pieces teams. Only Duke really has a QB right now and he is hurt

I've been thinking about this a lot. I wonder what the narrative of the season would be if those games were split up in different ways. Would people be as frustrated if those games weren't back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

Certainly for UNC, VA Tech, and BC. Those three games were unacceptable no matter where you place them. You can give a pass for Clemson and even FSU.

Certainly for UNC, VA Tech, and BC. Those three games were unacceptable no matter where you place them. You can give a pass for Clemson and even FSU.
Unacceptable in the fact Dino didn't have a usable #2 QB. Very frustrating we didn't at least have a Clayton Welch this year.

I hope DV can master a few pass routes the next two games. We can't win running 90%.

Technically VA Tech had their #2 QB in our game and the game was over at halftime.
Didn’t know that...never watched the game. Family obligations...never watched the replay either.

It's the BC game that bother me the most

You'd be bowl eligible already, but, basically the team did every thing they could to lose that game.

They did not take advantage of any starting field position and Hatcher getting the ball ripped out of his hands as we drove late are just too much.

That game is the worst loss of the Babers era. Worse than the Rutgers game in 2019 where we refused to run Tucker.

Rutgers malpractice cost us a bowl in 2019.

Will BC malpractice cost us a bowl (and a coach) in 2023?

It's the BC game that bother me the most

You'd be bowl eligible already, but, basically the team did every thing they could to lose that game.

They did not take advantage of any starting field position and Hatcher getting the ball ripped out of his hands as we drove late are just too much.

That game is the worst loss of the Babers era. Worse than the Rutgers game in 2019 where we refused to run Tucker.

Rutgers malpractice cost us a bowl in 2019.

Will BC malpractice cost us a bowl (and a coach) in 2023?

Now there’s a thread. That Rutgers game and refusing to use what worked when he ran was/is mind boggling. At least with BC the excuse is, we aren’t very good. Not really an excuse but good teams don’t play well even when the other team tries to give them the game. The Rutgers game was something else entirely. IMO.

I can understand 1 W-T-F performance from that stretch. Heck, a lot of teams have a stinker in their season someplace. But 4 is inexcusable and it doesn’t matter if those games were consecutive or not. It shows the coaches were either inflexible or incapable of putting the players in a position to be competitive.

We can’t retain Dino on a what-if basis. That’s absurd. Stick to the facts.

I can understand 1 W-T-F performance from that stretch. Heck, a lot of teams have a stinker in their season someplace. But 4 is inexcusable and it doesn’t matter if those games were consecutive or not. It shows the coaches were either inflexible or incapable of putting the players in a position to be competitive.

We can’t retain Dino on a what-if basis. That’s absurd. Stick to the facts.
for the hundredth time i don't care if they get rid of him

you can put it in bold but i think it does matter.

Everyone other than FSU and Clemson is 3-7 in games following games against FSU and Clemson

I don't think clemson was a WT f performance. Ordinary loss

Last edited:
If you feel yourself getting upset over simple numbers, there are many coping strategies

Napping, going for a walk, starting a fight club, drinking gasoline, etc

None of this is to say babers is good bad or indifferent. It is just an attempt to compare just how much harder our hardest stretch was compared to other acc teams

If you feel yourself getting upset over simple numbers, there are many coping strategies

Napping, going for a walk, starting a fight club, drinking gasoline, etc

None of this is to say babers is good bad or indifferent. It is just an attempt to compare just how much harder our hardest stretch was compared to other acc teams

Can't even get well vodka for $3.50/gallon. What a steal!

for the hundredth time i don't care if they get rid of him

you can put it in bold but i think it does matter.

Everyone other than FSU and Clemson is 3-7 in games following games against FSU and Clemson

I don't think clemson was a WT f performance. Ordinary loss

Perhaps you don't, but it's certainly, let's just say interesting, what your threads/posts have been relative to Dino. From his being average; if he gets to bowl this year it's the first time in...yada, yada, yada, etc., etc. Moreover, the pathetic and groundless racism/race card you've thrown out there if SU were to fire him, blah, blah, blah.

I can only imagine what your posts may have been like on this matter if you actually alleged that you "did" care.

Last edited:
Perhaps you don't, but it's certainly, let's just say interesting, what your threads/posts have been relative to Dino. From his being average; if he gets to bowl this year it's the first time in...yada, yada, yada, etc., etc. Moreover, the pathetic and groundless racism/race card you've thrown out there if SU were to fire him, blah, blah, blah.

I can only imagine what your posts may have been like on this matter if you actually alleged that you "did" care.
I said wildhack would've gotten criticized for firing a black man who made a bowl last year before knowing if he could be bowl eligible this year.

I didn't say it would be wrong to fire him. I'm just saying a firing before bowl ineligibility wouldn't happen. I didn't say I should agree with that criticism either

I am not hinting at anything. I want a coach who can recruit and develop qbs. Why would I hint that I want babers to stay but tell dozens of you that you're ridiculous dimwitted babies? If I cared about him staying I would say it

This is a mediocre team that got very banged up in an unusually difficult stretch. If he doesn't do anything special next year, my guess is he'll get fired the next time he doesn't make a bowl

Last edited:
3 of 4 on the road with a QB who couldnt throw for most of it..
If road games with another 3 points that means those games are two TD harder than the average fbs game (tacking on another 2 points in average)

Technically VA Tech had their #2 QB in our game and the game was over at halftime.
Wonder if Va Tech is under rating their win against SU since they were facing our injured qb who was activated just before the game? Va tech’s QB just transferred from Baylor this year to Va Tech, starting since game 3 in the season and who has passed for 1515 yards and much higher completion % than the former starter (59.43 vs 53.73). I think VA tech realized they made a mistake having their #1 on the bench the first 2 games.

Wonder if Va Tech is under rating their win against SU since they were facing our injured qb who was activated just before the game? Va tech’s QB just transferred from Baylor this year to Va Tech, starting since game 3 in the season and who has passed for 1515 yards and much higher completion % than the former starter (59.43 vs 53.73). I think VA tech realized they made a mistake having their #1 on the bench the first 2 games.

They both stink. Drones became starter due to injury, not merit. But I would guess that Drones eventually takes over much like Shrader in 2021 even if Wells was never injured.

It also still doesn't change the fact that the guy who won the job going into the season did not play, while if our starting QB gets hurt we are forced into playing wildcat.

Took each teams schedule, got the SRS of their opponents, calculated 4 game averages, compared each teams toughest stretch.

SRS is a per game ranking. So if my average is 7 and your's is 0, my schedule is 7 points harder than yours per game

To have a 4 game stretch where the average SRS of the opponent is 12, that's like playing the 17th ranked team 4 times in a row.

Too much work to compare to historical seasons but it has got to be the hardest stretch of conference games ever for us

TeamMAX of 4gameSRSRank
Boston College313
Clemson78
Duke112
Florida State710
Georgia Tech512
Louisville511
Miami (FL)103
North Carolina214
North Carolina State79
Pitt87
Syracuse121
Virginia94
Virginia Tech86
Wake Forest95

That's interesting, but to counter...

Did anyone have as easy 4 games as us when we went 4-0?

That's interesting, but to counter...

Did anyone have as easy 4 games as us when we went 4-0?
don't have all the numbers, i'm sure our OOC was worse than most.

BC played worse OOC teams and scattered them throughout the season where guys could rest and recover
(Both teams played army, BC played northern illinois and uconn who are even worse than western michigan and purdue)

As a result, they have a better record than we do with a worse SRS (1.75 points below average vs SU being .82 above average)

I think getting beat up by bigger stronger teams a bunch of times in a row hurts your team more than just the losses in those games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom