we had the hardest 4 game conference stretch by the numbers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

we had the hardest 4 game conference stretch by the numbers

we have the 4th worst schedule in the ACC overall. if the tough games were sequenced differently, we might be sitting at 7-3 (and maybe we're talking about how weak the schedule is). even 6-4 would much more acceptable to people

i wish i could find the article about teams getting worked by bama early in the season never recover

this isn't it but it's the best i can find

clemson isn't great but they're just as big and violent as ever

Last edited:
don't have all the numbers, i'm sure our OOC was worse than most.

BC played worse OOC teams and scattered them throughout the season where guys could rest and recover
(Both teams played army, BC played northern illinois and uconn who are even worse than western michigan and purdue)

As a result, they have a better record than we do with a worse SRS (1.75 points below average vs SU being .82 above average)

I think getting beat up by bigger stronger teams a bunch of times in a row hurts your team more than just the losses in those games.
Does Colgate count toward the SRS calculation?

Does Colgate count toward the SRS calculation?
no but bc played holy cross which doesn't either. i should've mentioned that, i skipped fcs for both of them.

no but bc played holy cross which doesn't either. i should've mentioned that, i skipped fcs for both of them.
If Colgate doesnt count, then our record is 4-5 in context to this discussion

Also, Holy Cross beat Colgate, 47-7

If Colgate doesnt count, then our record is 4-5 in context to this discussion
you can't calculate their SRS when they play entirely different teams.

you get one fcs gimme and teams take it. just about everyone has one less win then. i mean, if you want to toss it out, i get it. but then you just need 5 wins to be bowl eligible

fwiw i don't get excited about beating a bunch of weak teams in a row. last year, emotions ran high over me not being that impressed

you can't calculate their SRS when they play entirely different teams.

you get one fcs gimme and teams take it. just about everyone has one less win then. i mean, if you want to toss it out, i get it. but then you just need 5 wins to be bowl eligible
I don't want to toss it out. I get the bowl eligible deal.

But if you wanna make these posts crunching numbers and pointing at SRS and SOS, you need to give the context that Colgate doesnt count. So we're 4-5

If you feel yourself getting upset over simple numbers, there are many coping strategies

Napping, going for a walk, starting a fight club, drinking gasoline, etc

It actually feels more like you’re triggered by something with all your posts recently. Then with no reason to say it because almost nobody has commented at that point, arguing everyone is triggered by you posting the numbers.

It actually feels more like you’re triggered by something with all your posts recently. Then with no reason to say it because almost nobody has commented at that point, arguing everyone is triggered by you posting the numbers.

Someone responding in bold text that the analysis doesn’t matter was clearly triggered. Maybe you needed him to put it in all caps to realize that?

And guys that keep saying getting blown out by top 15 teams is unacceptable are going to be in for a hard time watching Syracuse football for the foreseeable future. Don’t care who the coach is, it’s going to happen a lot - like at least half the time - regardless of who is the coach. I thought guys getting upset at the FSU kids were overly emotional lunatics who need to recalibrate their expectations. While I’m mostly in agreement with their assessment of Dino after VT (and confirmed by BC) - my assessment of the emotional stability of a big segment of the fan base hasn’t changed.

I don't want to toss it out. I get the bowl eligible deal.

But if you wanna make these posts crunching numbers and pointing at SRS and SOS, you need to give the context that Colgate doesnt count. So we're 4-5
Their SOS is based on who they played in FBS

From their blog "One other wrinkle for CFB is that all non-major opponents are included as one team for the sake of the ratings"

Sure we are 4-5 against fbs. What do you conclude from that context?

Someone responding in bold text that the analysis doesn’t matter was clearly triggered. Maybe you needed him to put it in all caps to realize that?

And guys that keep saying getting blown out by top 15 teams is unacceptable are going to be in for a hard time watching Syracuse football for the foreseeable future. Don’t care who the coach is, it’s going to happen a lot - like at least half the time - regardless of who is the coach. I thought guys getting upset at the FSU kids were overly emotional lunatics who need to recalibrate their expectations. While I’m mostly in agreement with their assessment of Dino after VT (and confirmed by BC) - my assessment of the emotional stability of a big segment of the fan base hasn’t changed.

“Someone”. So one person means the whole board? I think you proved my point.

Took each teams schedule, got the SRS of their opponents, calculated 4 game averages, compared each teams toughest stretch.

SRS is a per game ranking. So if my average is 7 and your's is 0, my schedule is 7 points harder than yours per game

To have a 4 game stretch where the average SRS of the opponent is 12, that's like playing the 17th ranked team 4 times in a row.

Too much work to compare to historical seasons but it has got to be the hardest stretch of conference games ever for us

TeamMAX of 4gameSRSRank
Boston College313
Clemson78
Duke112
Florida State710
Georgia Tech512
Louisville511
Miami (FL)103
North Carolina214
North Carolina State79
Pitt87
Syracuse121
Virginia94
Virginia Tech86
Wake Forest95
Good post.

Their SOS is based on who they played in FBS

From their blog "One other wrinkle for CFB is that all non-major opponents are included as one team for the sake of the ratings"

Sure we are 4-5 against fbs. What do you conclude from that context?

The same thing you can conclude from BC beating UCONN vs us beating Western Michigan at some point in the season.

Not much.

4-5 is 4-5.

So, yeah, I don't think having an easy schedule early vs a hard schedule middle of season means much at all. Good teams rebound from losses. Bad teams don't.

6-4 right now would be respectable if we didn’t just go out and get wasted by NC, FSU and especially Va Tech, and of course beating a trash BC team instead of putting out an offense that would make Iowa laugh at us. If we had done all that and then split these last two to go 7-5, wouldn’t be parade worthy or anything but it would be ok. Instead, those embarrassing 4 games and what appears to be 6-6 at best, thank goodness Wake is inept on offense too.

Again. I’m totally at peace if we are 5-5 right now with competitive games and 1 blowout. I may even be able to to take 2 blowouts. But 3 consecutive blowouts (I still say a 17 point loss is a blowout, that’s still 3 scores). Games that were all over at the half.

You can blame injuries all you want. But when it happens every year, that can no longer be an excuse.

BC is god awful and we couldn’t pass for more than 50 yards. I don’t care that it was a backup QB. You have been here for 8 years and you can’t recruit or coach up a backup QB to throw for over 50 yards?

Over the last 7 years, we have one year where Dino has won over 2 games in his last 6 games of the year. Teams should get better as the year goes on and not worse. Our team gets worse. We beat up on the bad/terrible teams. And can’t beat the average to above average teams. We are currently at 1-3 with 2 games to go. If we win our last two games. This would only be the second time in 8 years we have went .500 or better in the last 6 games.

I have so much more. But I will stop here. It’s time.

I know that no matter how badly you lose, it only counts as 1 loss (otherwise, we'd be 5-14).

But I can't get over how bad the UNC and VT games were. Just complete no shows on national TV. That's as damaging as anything else. FSU too, but they're FSU, so even though they don't seem to beat anyone else that badly, they are a playoff team.

Which is why if we end up 6-6 and playing the Kansas City Royals in Fenway, I'd still move on. Knowing full well that we said bowl games are the metric, and knowing full well that he's the first coach to take a team to back to back this century.

I know that no matter how badly you lose, it only counts as 1 loss (otherwise, we'd be 5-14).

But I can't get over how bad the UNC and VT games were. Just complete no shows on national TV. That's as damaging as anything else. FSU too, but they're FSU, so even though they don't seem to beat anyone else that badly, they are a playoff team.

Which is why if we end up 6-6 and playing the Kansas City Royals in Fenway, I'd still move on. Knowing full well that we said bowl games are the metric, and knowing full well that he's the first coach to take a team to back to back this century.
This is looking a lot like 2004.

The stretch of close game loses in 21 was worse to me

With a bowl, I would give him one year and he better go get a QB transfer who is good next year. Without a bowl, hire someone else to bring that transfer in.

If you're going to fire a coach for recruiting, do it in a non bowl year. If you're going to fire a coach for underachieving in what should've been a good year, fire even if you get a bad bowl game

Last edited:
We are better than BC.. we had the 4 picks and the game came down to the last few minutes.. if we dont drop the 4 picks we win by 2-3 scores

But none of that matters now.. try to find a way to 6-7-8 wins with a 1 armed QB is the goal .

This is looking a lot like 2004.

The stretch of close game loses in 21 was worse to me

With a bowl I would give him one year and he better go get a QB transfer who is good next year. Without a bowl, hire someone else to bring that transfer in

IMO it is a lot like 2013. Blowout against Northwestern, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU. Beat a bunch of bad teams to get to 6-6. Our Ws that were we over #236, #91, #113, #86, #73, #64. We even had a NYC area game too.

2004 we were 4-2 in conference, tied for 1st. We lost a close at home game to FSU, ended ranked 15th. We also beat both Pitt and BC, who both ended the year ranked.

We are better than BC.. we had the 4 picks and the game came down to the last few minutes.. if we dont drop the 4 picks we win by 2-3 scores

But none of that matters now.. try to find a way to 6-7-8 wins with a 1 armed QB is the goal .

We had plenty of time the last drive to run the ball and the coaches chose to throw. We had 37 yards passing at that point. It made no sense and we were rewarded with an INT. Even worse if CDRW was hurt.

We’ve dropped picks all year. So I hate the after the fact, if we had done this and this we would have won. We didn’t do those things and we’ve routinely dropped INT’s. So it’s who we are, we did what we’ve done all year. To say, if we had just caught them we’d score 2-3 times. Well we’ve dropped them all year and we struggle to score. So what you’re describing isn’t an SU team. It’s not like we lead the country in INT’s and then dropped a bunch. Or that we score routinely after forced TO’s. Just seems silly to me every week to say, well if we had done this. Of course, every team in the country can say that after a loss.

Fortunately I have other commitments Saturday night, so won’t be able to watch the game. But if we lose Saturday, fire Babers and give him a chance to go out on a high note beating Wake and getting bowl eligible - I think I’d be good with that. The Texas A&M line “we’re stuck in neutral” works here.

The pessimist in me thinks he finds a way to pull two wins out of his butt, wins a bowl against some other awful team (like Navy), and we stick with him at 8-5 even though it would be the worst 8-5 team ever.

We’ve dropped picks all year. So I hate the after the fact, if we had done this and this we would have won. We didn’t do those things and we’ve routinely dropped INT’s. So it’s who we are, we did what we’ve done all year. To say, if we had just caught them we’d score 2-3 times. Well we’ve dropped them all year and we struggle to score. So what you’re describing isn’t an SU team. It’s not like we lead the country in INT’s and then dropped a bunch. Or that we score routinely after forced TO’s. Just seems silly to me every week to say, well if we had done this. Of course, every team in the country can say that after a loss.
so bad to the effect the announcers even mentioned it in the Pitt game that we dropped 4..

I agree its been pretty bad.

Nice that now barron gets his hand out of the cast maybe he can pick up a fumble and catch a pick again.

Just saying that one team getting 4 and the other dropping 4 changes a game in a huge way.. the only way BC wins the game is for them to get 4 and us none..

so bad to the effect the announcers even mentioned it in the Pitt game that we dropped 4..

I agree its been pretty bad.

Nice that now barron gets his hand out of the cast maybe he can pick up a fumble and catch a pick again.

Just saying that one team getting 4 and the other dropping 4 changes a game in a huge way.. the only way BC wins the game is for them to get 4 and us none..
The other way we win that game is to have a semi-competent passing game, but our backup QB and WRs stink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom