we had the hardest 4 game conference stretch by the numbers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

we had the hardest 4 game conference stretch by the numbers

With a bowl, I would give him one year and he better go get a QB transfer who is good next year. Without a bowl, hire someone else to bring that transfer in.

If you're going to fire a coach for recruiting, so it in a non bowl year. If you're going to fire a coach for underachieving in what should've been a good year, fire even if you get a bad bowl game

That's really the question in the 6-6 scenario (I think we all agree that 5-7 he's gone, 7-5 he stays).

If we're 6-6, meaning we lost to either GT or Wake, does Wildhack consider that a significant underachievement? Or does he think there's nothing we can do once the injuries start.

But I agree that no matter who coaches next year, finding next year's QB1 is Job1. Making sure QB2 can throw a forward pass is also high up on that list.

so bad to the effect the announcers even mentioned it in the Pitt game that we dropped 4..

I agree its been pretty bad.

Nice that now barron gets his hand out of the cast maybe he can pick up a fumble and catch a pick again.

Just saying that one team getting 4 and the other dropping 4 changes a game in a huge way.. the only way BC wins the game is for them to get 4 and us none..

I complete agree with you about that and even without the missed INT’s I thought we had a chance to win all the way to the end.

That's really the question in the 6-6 scenario (I think we all agree that 5-7 he's gone, 7-5 he stays).

If we're 6-6, meaning we lost to either GT or Wake, does Wildhack consider that a significant underachievement? Or does he think there's nothing we can do once the injuries start.

But I agree that no matter who coaches next year, finding next year's QB1 is Job1. Making sure QB2 can throw a forward pass is also high up on that list.

If Wildhack doesn't consider 2-6 in conference (which is what 6-6 makes SU) a significant underachievement, than quite frankly, he has no business being an AD of a P5 level school. Again, this is year EIGHT and would make Dino's overall conference record 21-45 at season's end. So, we are not just talking about a significant underachievement this season, his entire coaching tenure to date in the ACC a significant underachievement.

I wonder if eight years ago, if folks here were asked this is what Dino's record would be at this mark, that they would think anything otherwise.

Last edited:

If they want to sell tickets next season, short of Babers winning out, including a bowl, I don't see how he can be back.

I know how stupid it sounds that one game matters so much.

I am not hopeful that he'll get QB right next year.

I am not hopeful that he'll get QB right next year.

But we'll have a small army of converted TEs, who can run the spread option and do backflips.

when is the last game you went to
Well considering I live in the mountain west it was 2018 when we played Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium.

But that actually has nothing to do with anything.

Well considering I live in the mountain west it was 2018 when we played Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium.

But that actually has nothing to do with anything.
it does because the place is empty most of the time and it's really clear when you go

i skip a million games. part of the reason i know they always struggle to sell tickets is because *I* struggle to give them away

it does because the place is empty most of the time and it's really clear when you go

i skip a million games. part of the reason i know they always struggle to sell tickets is because *I* struggle to give them away

When I lived in the Albany area, one of the local banks used to have stacks of tickets to Albany River Rats games on the counter anyone could take - and there were few takers. The team literally couldn’t give tickets away, I suspect Syracuse is in the same boat, if they gave stacks of tickets to local banks to give away they would find few takers.

I know we saw a bump in Marrone’s first game/season - but that’s a decade ago. I don’t think attendance is going to be impacted negatively much if they keep Babers - and it won’t be positively impacted at all if they let him go.

When I lived in the Albany area, one of the local banks used to have stacks of tickets to Albany River Rats games on the counter anyone could take - and there were few takers. The team literally couldn’t give tickets away, I suspect Syracuse is in the same boat, if they gave stacks of tickets to local banks to give away they would find few takers.

I know we saw a bump in Marrone’s first game/season - but that’s a decade ago. I don’t think attendance is going to be impacted negatively much if they keep Babers - and it won’t be positively impacted at all if they let him go.

People did show up in 2019 outside of the last game. We were at 43,850 before that game. That includes a G5 and FCS game too.

People also showed up big time for the last 3 home games last year.

2 things I’m fairly confident on - we desperately need a P5 ready QB1 for next year and if Dino’s back we struggle to find that person.

2 things I’m fairly confident on - we desperately need a P5 ready QB1 for next year and if Dino’s back we struggle to find that person.
just to avoid the i told you so's next year, i agree with this. no confidence he can develop qbs. but at least nowadays you may not necessarily need to with the transfers

just to avoid the i told you so's next year, i agree with this. no confidence he can develop qbs. but at least nowadays you may not necessarily need to with the transfers
I think the bigger issue with the ready to start transfers is our OL woes and our limited WR skill level. It’s hard to sell a kid who already is a P5 talent who maybe is looking to showcase for the NFL to come to a school where you’re going to run for your life and have limited WR talent.

If OG comes back and maybe Villari continues to get targets as a TE I think that helps a lot because you have two solid pieces. But the OL is still a major problem.

I think the bigger issue with the ready to start transfers is our OL woes and our limited WR skill level. It’s hard to sell a kid who already is a P5 talent who maybe is looking to showcase for the NFL to come to a school where you’re going to run for your life and have limited WR talent.

If OG comes back and maybe Villari continues to get targets as a TE I think that helps a lot because you have two solid pieces. But the OL is still a major problem.
I think we just have to look for a decent backup stuck behind someone good , not expecting NFL prospects. That could still be a huge upgrade

I think we just have to look for a decent backup stuck behind someone good , not expecting NFL prospects. That could still be a huge upgrade

Who does Golden have at Notre Dame ?

People did show up in 2019 outside of the last game. We were at 43,850 before that game. That includes a G5 and FCS game too.

People also showed up big time for the last 3 home games last year.

People bought season tickets in 2019 thinking “Syracuse is back!” - and found out we very much were not. Then they got their hopes up last year, thought maybe we were back after the NC State game - and found out we very much were not.

And both of those examples came AFTER on field success. I may be wrong - but I’m incredibly skeptical a fan base which feels they’ve been burned twice recently is going to get so excited by a coaching change that they start to show up in substantially bigger numbers.

People bought season tickets in 2019 thinking “Syracuse is back!” - and found out we very much were not. Then they got their hopes up last year, thought maybe we were back after the NC State game - and found out we very much were not.

And both of those examples came AFTER on field success. I may be wrong - but I’m incredibly skeptical a fan base which feels they’ve been burned twice recently is going to get so excited by a coaching change that they start to show up in substantially bigger numbers.

You’re selling the SU fans short. The fact anyone still shows up at all is an accomplishment. The fact they support the program when they sniff success is an accomplishment. A new coach brings hope and this fan base always shows up when there’s some hope or some success. Both of those things you won’t have keeping the current coach.

The casual fan will not show up. Maybe a few but not many. I do think we have been bleeding our core fan base. Those who checked out, I think would come back. On top of that you stop the bleeding. Dino coming back, especially without a plan or QB, will continue that bleeding. And of course what gives you a better chance of on field success? Early success and excitement will bring more people. I think that is more likely with a new HC, and that the fanbase will believe in success easier with a new HC vs Dino.

I am still shocked at how poorly the Clemson game was attended. We were looking good and 4-0, while Clemson was looking very beatable. No one cared. I think that is an indictment of Dino.

We are better than BC.. we had the 4 picks and the game came down to the last few minutes.. if we dont drop the 4 picks we win by 2-3 scores

We lead the nation in dropped picks but it's who we are. You say these things every week but it's just not the year for the coulda woulda shoulda game since we got steamrolled in 4 losses.

We lead the nation in dropped picks but it's who we are. You say these things every week but it's just not the year for the coulda woulda shoulda game since we got steamrolled in 4 losses.
I dont think Clemson was a steam roll.. Unc/VT/FSU were.

Dropped picks matter on both sides of the ball. When you throw and drop them it really matters. Being in the spot to catch them is a good thing to see though. Like Birdie putts in golf that dont go in, more of those chances is always better.

Not having a QB that could throw is the issue. Even in the first 4 games there was no real deep ball threat.

What good is some receivers with decent ball skills if can't get them the ball in space.

Missed FGs matter too but not as much when you lose by 30.. Could have put the Pitt game away and missed that one. Big misses in Clemson/BC games as well.

The lack of easy scores adds up with a sluggish offense.

The D took one home vs Pitt, but those dropped picks were more than drops. You could easily see 5-6 of those go for TDs where they were on the field. Pts/Energy changes things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom