We have a coach named Red, let’s start using it | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We have a coach named Red, let’s start using it

1684689841089.jpeg

Red Ruffing

Red Green fixed everything with duct tape. but can it save a basketball program ?

de2b98c76529b49084c1bbe0c5fe1559.jpg

Dice roll is strong. Calculated risk is a better description. But, then again, every coaching hire is that. Coaches that have had success in one place go elsewhere and fail all the time. Most are not Calipari or Pitino.
but be honest. name another top twenty five program where red would have been offered first. he's a syracuse guy and wildhack hires in house. but no way would autry been offered say the KANSAS job if it opened up. or dozens of other top schools. we stayed local fine. and his recruiting has been fabulous thus far. but a major top candidate ? he's got no resume.
i'm pulling for the guy. i bought season tickets. but this was the easy hire versus let's find the next best head coach. wildhack was sleeping.

but be honest. name another top twenty five program where red would have been offered first. he's a syracuse guy and wildhack hires in house. but no way would autry been offered say the KANSAS job if it opened up. or dozens of other top schools. we stayed local fine. and his recruiting has been fabulous thus far. but a major top candidate ? he's got no resume.
i'm pulling for the guy. i bought season tickets. but this was the easy hire versus let's find the next best head coach. wildhack was sleeping.
Not sure I'm getting your point here.
Both Duke and UNC went in-house and did a family hire. Hubert Davis and Jon Whats-his-name had similar, if not lesser resumes than Red when they took over their programs, no?
The jury is still out but the move has been made at other top 25 programs. So what's your point?

Every time That a North Carolina legend retired they hired in-house.

If he had been a Kansas player and coached under Self he may have. Would Jon Scheyer had been offered the Kansas job with no head coaching experience? Nope, but he got the Duke job.

I have a feeling Autry had been the plan for a while. Had it been clear that he wasn't, maybe he goes the route of accepting a job at a smaller school and works his way through the ranks. Who's to say we didn't put feelers out and heard that none of the big name coaches we were interested in had mutual feelings and maybe the coaches that were interested were not the ones we were high on.

I don't how it all transpired, but it's clear Red had a plan and expressed that plan clearly to JW. That's obvious by how quickly he made moves in the portal and by what he has said he plans to do schematically. He's not just a continuation of what we've done the last few years. Can he get it done with regards to player development and game day coaching? We'll see. If not, on to the next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom