We have to jump Duke Monday, right? | Syracusefan.com

We have to jump Duke Monday, right?

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
No way they put 5-2 duke over 7-0 SU even with losses to #4 and #4

I think they fall to the bottom of the top 10.

I actually think how funny it is that how far Michigan fell. Funny, that is all.

Why would losing to the #2 and #4 teams cause the #6 team to fall in the rankings? Poll voters tend to only look at the record and not who a team has actually beaten or lost to, so they'll probably drop...but they shouldn't.

We finally beat(played) a ranked team... so who knows. When is the next time that happens again anyhow? How many currently ranked teams on our schedule this year?

NKR1978 said:
Why would losing to the #2 and #4 teams cause the #6 team to fall in the rankings? Poll voters tend to only look at the record and not who a team has actually beaten or lost to, so they'll probably drop...but they shouldn't.

Cuz they're proving they're not a legit top 5 team by losing to 2 top 5 teams on neutral courts. You don't think we deserve to be ranked ahead of duke?

No way they put 5-2 duke over 7-0 SU even with losses to #4 and #4

Eh who really cares at this point. There are 2 definite opportunities to jump Duke in the polls this season by playing them head to head. Quite possibly a 3rd. The only time I have ever gotten satisfaction from where Cuse was ranked in the polls was the coaches poll in April 2003. Not saying being highly ranked isn't important, but I think you know what I mean...

I get the people that say rankings don't matter before April, but they really do. 17 yr old recruits make decisions for sometimes silly reasons, like who's ranked top 5 at a given time. Syracuse has been fortunate to have spent many weeks in the top 5 and even #1 the last 3-4 years and our recruiting is as good as it's ever been because of it. So, yes, November rankings matter and I'd MUCH rather be ranked 5 than 9 right now.

Its all arbitrary at this point who is top 5. But if you blow two opportunities on neutral courts to top 10 teams, you should take a bit of a hit in the rankings. On the other hand, they win just one of those games (or both) and they benefit greatly in the rankings.

I think Syracuse should jump them in the rankings. I have no clue who is actually better.

After about 10 games, I tend to find KenPom rankings to generally be a better indicator of top 15 teams than the actual AP ranking anyway... although early on both rankings will have teams that fail the smell test.

Hard to say. We could easily have the same record if we had Dukes schedule.
But we know they lost twice. We couldn't have done worse. They don't deserve to be in the top 7 teams losing twice on neutral courts. But in the long run...

Cuz they're proving they're not a legit top 5 team by losing to 2 top 5 teams on neutral courts. You don't think we deserve to be ranked ahead of duke?

No, I don't. We haven't played anyone the caliber of Arizona or Kansas. If Duke was 0-4 after only playing MSU, Kansas, Kentucky and Arizona that still wouldn't mean that they're not #6.

I would also agree that EastCoast - rankings throughout the year and early on do help with program prestige, and fighting for a top 5 ranking, or even number one in the country, is just a fun target for fans throughout the year.

Whether reaching AP #1 means we are the best team or not, its still entertaining as a fan to try to watch and see how your team can get there. Ultimately, April is what matters most, but this is still entertainment.

docsu said:
Hard to say. We could easily have the same record if we had Dukes schedule.

You can play that game all day and never get anywhere. Is it a lock duke beats Minnesota cal and Baylor 3 games in 3 nights on neutral court? Definitely not. Duke deserves to drop, just playing top 5 teams shouldn't mean you don't take a hit if you don't win any of them.

No, I don't. We haven't played anyone the caliber of Arizona or Kansas. If Duke was 0-4 after only playing MSU, Kansas, Kentucky and Arizona that still wouldn't mean that they're not #6.
So, because they were ranked #6, if they lost their first 5 games of the season to 1,2,3,4,5, you weren't vote them down for a team that was 5-0 and had beat a top 20 team. LOL Okay.

. Duke deserves to drop, just playing top 5 teams shouldn't mean you don't take a hit if you don't win any of them.

If you lose to teams ranked higher than you, why do you deserve to drop?

NKR1978 said:

That's ed. Duke was ranked higher than Kansas when Kansas beat them! And that same Kansas team is losing with a minute left to an unranked nova.

okay. So Kansas can't drop below Duke can they? They have a better record and beat them head to head.

Because if you are that close to the other teams, you should win some of them. Lose to all the good teams you play, we'll maybe you 're not that good after all.

I get the people that say rankings don't matter before April, but they really do. 17 yr old recruits make decisions for sometimes silly reasons, like who's ranked top 5 at a given time. Syracuse has been fortunate to have spent many weeks in the top 5 and even #1 the last 3-4 years and our recruiting is as good as it's ever been because of it. So, yes, November rankings matter and I'd MUCH rather be ranked 5 than 9 right now.
Exactly, it drives me crazy when people don't care where were ranked. YES, it matters.

If Nova wins tomorrow, we might face as many ranked teams OCC as we do in (the greatest) conference (ever). (per "the best" announcer, Jay Bilas).

And being Duke is so over ranked(per here), we might as well ask the UK fans if we can buy their 40-0 shirts.

But we know they lost twice. We couldn't have done worse. They don't deserve to be in the top 7 teams losing twice on neutral courts. But in the long run...

Don't bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom