we like to complain | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

we like to complain

The Red Sox fanbase has always been known as "complainers." I would suggest it means you have a passionate and knowledgable fanbase.

We've been pretty good over JB's reign. The question is, though, is this 'down period' an aberration, or a trend? It reminds me of global warming. People who don't want to do anything about it say there have always been periods like this throughout history. People who do want to do something about it say that this current period is a man-created trend, and requires intervention because it's unlike the other 'graph dips.' In our situation, though, it doesn't much matter, because JB certainly has a limited amount of time left. So, it's a matter of 'how bad does it have to get?' He's going to be replaced. And the difference between 'end of this year' versus the longest reasonable projection of him staying can't be more than a few years.

I kinda feel that if he told us he was definitely leaving at the end of Buddy's career, he'd be given more 'rope' just out of gratitude. But, the continuing downward 'spiral' without a parachute or definitive plan other than "trust and have faith" is what gives us agita. Lastly, to continue to give JB 'leniency,' you kinda have to be of the mind that coach age is line wine. That he can only get better with time, no matter how old he gets. And that our current situation isn't at all related to a failure of a combination of age-related issues: inertia/energy drop, complacency/laziness, stubbornness, arrogance...

And finally, we have to acknowledge that it may not matter how good JB still might be. Play depends on quality recruits/players, and if high schoolers aren't as impressed by JB himself, his personality, his on-court demeanor/treatment of players, his future/longevity, our current style of play, etc., it's all moot. A Perception Game is just as important as whatever is in JB's head or his motivational level.

All true but the last thing JB wants to do is to announce a future retirement date. it means that the recruits won't know if the head coach or the assistant recruiting him will be there when he gets there. When it comes, the announcement will be made very quickly.

All true but the last thing JB wants to do is to announce a future retirement date. it means that the recruits won't know if the head coach or the assistant recruiting him will be there when he gets there. When it comes, the announcement will be made very quickly.
I kinda agree. But, i wonder if the ambiguity and uncertainty about his timeline is more or less harmful than naming a 'coach in waiting.' That said, it would be kinda hard for the AD to do another HC in Waiting, when the last one didn't work out so well.

tightSpot5.jpg

I'd argue that the "last thing JB wants to do" is retire. ;)

We had a succession plan, and recruiting was going well... and then we didn't, and then it wasn't.

No program in the history of college basketball has ever had a head coach this old, so we're all swimming in uncharted waters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom