We lost that game, lucky season so far | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We lost that game, lucky season so far

holt fanfan 3-1 is 3-1 theres over 100s of D1 teams that wish they could be in our spot right now. After last year at home every home win we get is considered a solid win. This is a toledo team that should have beat ohio st at the shoe, even if osu is overrated this year. Toledo will prob win the Mac and have another solid season. We may be a year away from taking over a few games and sitting back and relaxing instead of needing ot, but right now 3-1 with a chance to be 5-1 with wvu rolling in on a Friday night. Enough said right there. However, rutgers is the sole focus and what a huge game its going to be.

Guys, there is a very big difference between my point, which is based on what actually happened:

my stance: "Any accurate tabulation of points scored puts Syracuse with less points during regulation than its opponent (no need to image what might have happened, or other counterfactual scenarios)"

and your view, which is based on what you think should or might have happened:

the stance of those clinging to the legitimacy of this win: "If we pick and choose a few plays where the refs didn't throw a flag but should have, we can pretend that maybe the game would have happened differently than it did, or alternatively, we can pretend that the game would have come out differently if the other team had been down by 2 instead of 3: even though they were going to go for the field goal either way."

You guys worry way too much about what gets said on the Rutgers board.

Doug is wrong when he says that Syracuse isn't "yet good enough to have a bad win." He is simply saying the PC/humble thing in front of the cameras, but behind the scenes, he is ripping into the players and letting them know that this was a loss. If Doug really meant what he said, then I'd be worried that he was dealing with an inferiority complex. Fortunately, I've heard that Doug is absolutely ripping into the players, so apparently its just a few fans who cling to a win that would have been a loss if not for an official gifting us a point that we didn't earn.

Holy hypocrite. Not only are YOU dabbling in imaginary logic, what's absurd is that you are calling others out for "what if" scenarios.

Here's what actually happened: the XP was ruled good. That ruling was upheld after a booth review. Therefore, the XP is fact, and an "accurate tabulation" of the score was SU having a 30-27 point lead.

You can spin the coulda-shoulda-woulda all you'd like, but all it amounts to is a bunch of speculative nonsense on your part, fanfanclubclub.

You're a troll. We don't know what happens had they made the right call. Maybe they gamble more on defense.
You're too kind. I was thinking of a couple choice names and troll wasn't one of them :)

You're too kind. I was thinking of a couple choice names and troll wasn't one of them :)
be careful questioning him he's "done work for the NFL"

It's pretty obvious that a DC is going to make different decisions up 29-27 than up 30-27. 30-27 offers a lot more room for error. Trying to act smarter than everyone and insistently ignoring that fact in your argument shows that your argument is flawed and that you really aren't that smart. Basic logic dictates that different variables lead to different outcomes. Toledo's field goal at the end of regulation came under a certain set of circumstances. If you change those circumstances and the score is 29-27, there's no guarantee Toledo plays as aggressive on Offense, Syracuse plays as safe on Defense, etc, etc. You can't take the FG by Toledo on the last drive as a given under different circumstances and that's the clear error you are making.

we've had a really lucky season so far:

we were in a real bad spot against WF until we knocked out the QB;
we were tied in the fourth quarter against an FCS team;
we lost by three touchdowns to USC; and
we lost, but somehow won, at home against Toledo.

the line between our 3-1 and a bizarro 1-3 season is very, very thin.

Alot of credit to the staff, not only do they make the winning decisions, but the whole Marrone staff has an auspicious aura to it.
listen sport, Syracuse is NOT playing for a national championship this year. they are playing to put a decent record in the media guide for eternity...and to use said record to build for the future when maybe they will be back playing meaningful games in november for the national championship.

so far, so good.

once you realize that, you will not give a flying fluck about that call, or how they won any game. just what bowl game will the kids get to go to...and whether or not you can make it.

Alot of credit to the staff, not only do they make the winning decisions, but the whole Marrone staff has an auspicious aura to it.

Circumstances change everything, down and distance, leads, batting order... This is like saying that a manger in baseball makes the same decision up 1 in the 9th versus up 2, nobody on base versus man on 1st or second, . If people don't think Shafer puts more heat on their qb only up 2 you are insane, who knows maybe Paige scores on a 80 yard TD and we get the ball back with 1:30 left. The fact is you just don't know. I agree it was bad call, but that simply does not result in a Toledo win, there was an entire 2 minutes that played out after that. Why are people on the internet so ing stupid?

Guys, there is a very big difference between my point, which is based on what actually happened:

my stance: "Any accurate tabulation of points scored puts Syracuse with less points during regulation than its opponent (no need to image what might have happened, or other counterfactual scenarios)"

and your view, which is based on what you think should or might have happened:

the stance of those clinging to the legitimacy of this win: "If we pick and choose a few plays where the refs didn't throw a flag but should have, we can pretend that maybe the game would have happened differently than it did, or alternatively, we can pretend that the game would have come out differently if the other team had been down by 2 instead of 3: even though they were going to go for the field goal either way."

You guys worry way too much about what gets said on the Rutgers board.

Doug is wrong when he says that Syracuse isn't "yet good enough to have a bad win." He is simply saying the PC/humble thing in front of the cameras, but behind the scenes, he is ripping into the players and letting them know that this was a loss. If Doug really meant what he said, then I'd be worried that he was dealing with an inferiority complex. Fortunately, I've heard that Doug is absolutely ripping into the players, so apparently its just a few fans who cling to a win that would have been a loss if not for an official gifting us a point that we didn't earn.
This post belongs on the Philosophy Club board, not the football board.

How damn often are touchdown calls botched? Even after video review the refs still can get it wrong. Happens a lot and the game goes on and the teams deal with it - good or bad. The uniqueness of this bad call is the only thing keeping the conversation going. A bad call was made and the game went on. Happens ALL THE TIME.

points are scored in sports all the time that should or shouldn't count. We lost a game in the Big east tournament to UConn where they had an obvious basket interference with about 4 to play. We lost in O.T. I guess we really won.

Riiiiiiiiight. And maybe HCDM is correct that hard work, concentration, never giving up on the play or the game or your teammates reaped some benefits. If you wish to consider us lucky, then do so and wait and see what happens when Marrone and Co. are recruiting even better talent and developing the talent on a consistent basis (depth).

But it didn't play out differently.

Syracuse scored 29 points in regulation, and the other team scored 30: that is a loss, regardless of how it is written down, or what you think might have happened in a counterfactual alternative universe. There is no way to dispute the fact that Syracuse, by the rules, scored fewer points than their opponent during regulation. Similarly, there is no way to dispute that if a team scores fewer points during regulation than their opponent, the rules dictate that such a team should lose: but the officials screwed up. These obvious facts cannot be disputed, so you keep saying that maybe the game would have been different somehow (even though Toledo was playing for a FG either way).

The game played out the way it did, and we scored fewer points during regulation.
Go back to the Buttgers board - you aren't fooling anyone here.

Yeah but you miss the point they didn't score 29 points in regulation they scored 30.

Maybe they "should have" only scored 29 points but the ref's didn't call it that way. Ref's are human they make mistakes and that is part of the game.

Too bad video doesn't help the blind.

Fanfan is right, fake win. Fake winners.

Too bad video doesn't help the blind.

Fanfan is right, fake win. Fake winners.
9271-1274734345.jpg

Get in where you fit in.

Syracuse=fake win,
Toledo=somebody lost a helmet because college football is full contact.

Get in where you fit in.

Syracuse=fake win,
Toledo=somebody lost a helmet because college football is full contact.

Can we get this troll out of here, your a MAC fan when your conference plays in the BCS give me a call.

The Big East must want you to watch a video and then blow a call. My bad. They were buying you back.

Good luck against a BCS team.

The Big East must want you to watch a video and then blow a call. My bad. They were buying you back.

We beat a BCS team earlier this year.

Nice job belittling your own team.

we've played two... 1-1. How's the MAC doing against anything other than FCS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom