We need Buddy's scholarship for next season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We need Buddy's scholarship for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it ever comes out that HoWash is asked to leave, I’m done for good with Syracuse.

Why this isn’t youth ball guys need to cut the mustard and contribute he’s been treated fairly to this point.

What’s the benefit? Team managers are plentiful and players want to play. I don’t see a net gain for either side. Players who are ‘encouraged’ to leave are allowed to finish the year on scholarship.

Former player doesn't use one of the available 13 scholarships, but also isn't simply cast adrift to see if he can find a new landing place to complete his degree.

Former player doesn't use one of the available 13 scholarships, but also isn't simply cast adrift to see if he can find a new landing place to complete his degree.

I could be wrong on this, so somebody feel free to correct me, but I believe it’s ultimately up to the player to leave. Scholarships aren’t pulled from under the player’s feet.

If you’re good enough to get a scholarship to play at Syracuse, you’re going to want to play basketball. I can’t picture a player who’d choose to be a team manager just to complete a degree, especially at a pretty average university. 99.9% would prefer to go somewhere else and play ball. Maybe it’s not a bad option to have, but I don’t see it being used.

Why this isn’t youth ball guys need to cut the mustard and contribute he’s been treated fairly to this point.
Just because.

I have a very hard time anytime a player is asked to leave to make room for a kid who might possibly be a better fit on the team. Howard made a 4 year commitment to the university. The university should also live up to that commitment.

And we look like jackasses when we make fun of UConn for running players off.

I think being honest with players is key. If you sit a player down after a couple seasons and level with him that he’s probably not going to see much/any playing time in the near future, so you’ll help him transfer somewhere where he can play, that’s fair game and actually better for all parties than keeping the kid on scholarship and riding the pine until he figures out on his own that he’s not going to play (possibly costing him an extra year).

That’s how I always pictured the conversations going. If the kid decides he wants to stay on the team and prove that he belongs, then let him. He knows the score at that point. I never pictured these conversations as the coaching staff telling a player in absolute terms that he needs to get the hell out of Dodge yesterday.

It makes perfect sense that Carey stays right now and goes for a medical hard ship in the summer.
Medical hardship is a slam dunk. He only played in two games and missed the season due to an injury. Where things become tricky is if he does indeed intend to transfer. If he does not get an NCAA waiver (heads or tails this week?) he must comply with the year in residence rule before being able to play at his new institution. That's where waiting until year end could cost him. Rather than being available in January 2021 for his new school's conference season he would have to sit until the following November. That's almost two full years away from competitive basketball. And there is no precedent to my knowledge that he could be granted an ADDITIONAL year of eligibility. Yes players who transfer, sit and are injured at their new school have received the additional year but I can't find a case where a player misses a year due to injury then transfers and sits and is granted a sixth year.

That's the logic that tells me that if he is not gone by now he's probably not leaving.

Last edited:
I think it is hugely symbolic for Coach and may be for Buddy as well. Boeheim wants the world to see that Buddy DESERVES a place on the team. So, I understand why he has gone that route. But now that no one disputes this at all, it would be good to free up a space IF we could find anyone good to take it.

Symbolism means a lot to most people. The Boeheims are no exception.
If him having a scholarship means there is another player that can help us that we would otherwise be able to sign, thenI think JB should take him off scholarship. Boeheim's obligation is to the team. If we aren't planning on using them all anyway, then whatever, give it to him.

Things have gotten really bad if we are nitpicking about one scholarship.

Yeah, but we're kinda accustomed to being a bit short on them lately, and spare ones sometimes go to people who didn't first touch a basketball until they were driving age.

of which buddy is a part of.
Agreed, but I'm looking at the bigger picture - and I'll clarify; If Buddy losing the athletic scholarship means we can get someone else who will make the team better, in my opinion, Boeheim should do so.

Agreed, but I'm looking at the bigger picture - and I'll clarify; If Buddy losing the athletic scholarship means we can get someone else who will make the team better, in my opinion, Boeheim should do so.

while jb can obviously afford it, who are we the fans to say JB should pay $20k+ - $40k+?

while jb can obviously afford it, who are we the fans to say JB should pay $20k+ - $40k+?
We are fans. We can say anything we want. He doesn't have to do it. But the school has been very good to JB. And the reverse is also true. But if it will make this team better going forward, I would think and hope that Jb would want to do it. I think we should go after both ivy grad kids. Unless Eli is coming back, of course.

I'm so confused by the folks who think that Buddy would feel slighted by being taken off of scholarship. He's playing 40 MPG this year!!! Good grief, no one is feeling slighted when they are an essential part of any success the team has.

I'm so confused by the folks who think that Buddy would feel slighted by being taken off of scholarship. He's playing 40 MPG this year!!! Good grief, no one is feeling slighted when they are an essential part of any success the team has.
It blows my mind. It is so easy for the athletic department to add an incentive to JB’s contract that would be so easy to attain and cover this type of move.
It makes sense to be able to have an extra player. Nobody is disrespecting Buddy or JB at all.

The pu-puing of this idea is just insane.

It blows my mind. It is so easy for the athletic department to add an incentive to JB’s contract that would be so easy to attain and cover this type of move.
It makes sense to be able to have an extra player. Nobody is disrespecting Buddy or JB at all.

The pu-puing of this idea is just insane.

Remind me again why we need to do it?

Remind me again why we need to do it?
14 scholarship players are better than 13 scholarship players.

Is math that hard?

My god the university can give JB a raise. There is no limit on how much money any coach, athletic department employee can make.
There is a limit of 13 Basketball scholarships.
If the school says here JB we are going to pay you an extra 100k next year as a longevity “bonus”

That would give us an extra scholarship player, and JB would even be getting a little extra money.
How isn’t this a win/win?
Please explain.

14 scholarship players are better than 13 scholarship players.

Is math that hard?

My god the university can give JB a raise. There is no limit on how much money any coach, athletic department employee can make.
There is a limit of 13 Basketball scholarships.
If the school says here JB we are going to pay you an extra 100k next year as a longevity “bonus”

That would give us an extra scholarship player, and JB would even be getting a little extra money.
How isn’t this a win/win?
Please explain.

So if we have 3 players leave...?

So if we have 3 players leave...?
Obviously if we have players who decide to leave on their own and we don’t have any recruits who can fill a need there is no need to do this.
However that isn’t even the scenario being discussed.
Jeez. Changing the goalposts.
Nobody wants to do this just to do it.
The point being discussed is we have to lose one player right now.
What about if nobody wants to leave for next year what would we do?
What about if Isaiah Jackson didn’t choose Kentucky?

There is a reason we were recruiting him.
God I go back to my post responding to Chugg.

Obviously if we have players who decide to leave on their own and we don’t have any recruits who can fill a need there is no need to do this.
However that isn’t even the scenario being discussed.
Jeez. Changing the goalposts.
Nobody wants to do this just to do it.
The point being discussed is we have to lose one player right now.
What about if nobody wants to leave for next year what would we do?
What about if Isaiah Jackson didn’t choose Kentucky?

There is a reason we were recruiting him.
God I go back to my post responding to Chugg.

We usually have players leave. It’s pretty common. Look around college basketball. Something like 700 kids transferred last year. Plus Hughes is likely to leave, as he will have his degree. Maybe the staff knows things you don’t? My god! ;-)

Last edited:
We usually have players leave. It’s pretty common. Look around college basketball. Something like 700 kids transferred last year. Plus Hughes is likely to leave, as he will have his degree. Maybe the staff knows things you don’t? My god! ;-)
Thanks for answering my questions back to you.
Just ignore them because that is what you do. I wasted time answering you when the answer was obvious and common sense.
Stupid me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors