We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

Tonight he displayed nice form on a turnaround that didn’t drop. It looks to me like he can make them, and if he can, it opens up some post passing out to the perimeter. I believe he had an assist tonight from the high post. Under the right circumstances put me down for wanting to see more.

Tonight he displayed nice form on a turnaround that didn’t drop. It looks to me like he can make them, and if he can, it opens up some post passing out to the perimeter. I believe he had an assist tonight from the high post. Under the right circumstances put me down for wanting to see more.
I think to bell for a 3

"light years" is a bit of a stretch
Maybe hyperbole, but Carey redshirted as frosh for an injury but was by all accounts completely raw. Jesse played 150 minutes and scored 50 points with 10 blocks his frosh season behind Sidibe and Marek as the 9th guy on a JAB roster. Jesse’s sophomore season was more of the same in an COVID shortened year with lots of being downplayed as not ready by JAB while he played Marek at C and lots of fans asking why Jesse wasn’t getting more minutes.

Carey has ~50 minutes over two seasons and has almost as many personal fouls (15) as he has points, blocks and rebounds combined (16). He’s barely been more than a walk-on.

Last edited:
Maybe hyperbole, but Carey redshirted as frosh for ann injury but was by all accounts completely raw. Jesse played 150 minutes and scored 50 points with 10 blocks his frosh season behind Sidibe and Marek as the 9th guy on a JAB roster. Jesse’s sophomore season was more of the same in an COVID shortened year with lots of being downplayed as not ready by JAB while he played Marek at C and lots of fans asking why Jesse wasn’t getting more minutes.

Carey has ~50 minutes over two seasons and has almost as many personal fouls (15) as he has points, blocks and rebounds combined (16). He’s barely been more than a walk-on.
Some people thought it was funny I was so hung up on this, but Jesse's per 40 numbers were nuts as a young player.

Some guys do stuff in their minutes, even when they don't play much.

Other guys... takes them some time to figure it out.

He’s not physically ready for certain matchups but you can see the upside. You probably need him to share the floor with some combo of Maliq Benny and Cope. We’ll get killed on the glass if we run him out there with Bell and JT.
He better get his awareness up with cope. I can’t remember who dished him the ball under the net but he was ill prepared. He should have gone off the glass or something but he second guessed himself and toook too long. Then he passed to the perimeter.

Maybe hyperbole, but Carey redshirted as frosh for ann injury but was by all accounts completely raw. Jesse played 150 minutes and scored 50 points with 10 blocks his frosh season behind Sidibe and Marek as the 9th guy on a JAB roster. Jesse’s sophomore season was more of the same in an COVID shortened year with lots of being downplayed as not ready by JAB while he played Marek at C and lots of fans asking why Jesse wasn’t getting more minutes.

I predict he will become a moderate threat on the pick and roll, will block some shots, will get muscled on the boards, and will foul too much. Some nights the pluses will outweigh the minuses, some nights not.

We've now reached this stage at the center position. Red can only cross his fingers and hope for the best now, and will likely try to steal some minutes there with Benny as the season progresses.

In-Emergency-Break-Glass-Label-LB-1679.gif

Jesse regrets transferring i bet
Jesse should be playing professional somewhere. He took advantage of the Covid year to get paid because he is not a NBA caliber player. Maybe he could play in Europe.

If Carey does not play in games this year, he will not be back next year. Syracuse has 13 scholarship players and 2 more coming in next year. Two people have to leave in order to field a team next year. That does not include the possibility of adding any one from the portal.

If someone comes in from the portal then nother player on this year roster will have to leave.

Possible Candidates to leave are Judah Mintz (NBA), Benny Williams (just to get out of town), Peter Carey (can or can’t he play at this level), Hima Mounir (injury prone), and Naheem McCloed) (age, already 23).

Don’t know if anyone of these players are doing well in school or on track to graduate in their normal time. But guess that doesn’t matter any more.

Last edited:
Carey looks more like a lean 6'6" guy who is quick and fast then a lumbering almost 7 footer. Have him run the floor and get some fast break dunks. If he can shoot okay from deep, have him go out there and open up the lane for the guards. Cope seems to like him and was coaching him up, that's good enough for me. More Cope please.

Carey looks more like a lean 6'6" guy who is quick and fast then a lumbering almost 7 footer. Have him run the floor and get some fast break dunks. If he can shoot okay from deep, have him go out there and open up the lane for the guards. Cope seems to like him and was coaching him up, that's good enough for me. More Cope please.
Just imagine it, wish hard, and it will be so!

I like his potential. He is very coordinated for his size. Runs well has good hands looks to have a soft touch just needs court time and needs to add strength. He has the hard parts via God given talent. Im going out on a limb and saying he is going to be a solid contributor this year.

Just imagine it, wish hard, and it will be so!
When Red figures out this team is better when they're pushing the tempo, then he'll have his style of coaching.

I like his potential. He is very coordinated for his size. Runs well has good hands looks to have a soft touch just needs court time and needs to add strength. He has the hard parts via God given talent. Im going out on a limb and saying he is going to be a solid contributor this year.
define a solid contributor and I will take that bet.

People overestimate when they think they remember the actual production that "projects" have had and still developed. At this point, Carey has still played fewer minutes than JBA did in his freshman year after a red shirt. Nice kid, but he's far from being able to play high D1 basketball and based on history, he won't.

When Red figures out this team is better when they're pushing the tempo, then he'll have his style of coaching.
I think he knows that, but also know they can't play that style for 40 minutes with the current group and the health of this roster.

I think he knows that, but also know they can't play that style for 40 minutes.
I know Red knows that, he's just still under a residual Boeheim latter years style of play. They have enough athletes, they can play 10 guys. Less half court set offense, more transition shooting when they have an open look. That was old school Boeheim when Red was in his playing days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom