We should play the cousins every year. | Syracusefan.com

We should play the cousins every year.

nzm136

All Conference
FSU has UF
GT has UGA
UL has UK
Clemson has S. Carolina

We need WVU. We have decades of shared history, a named rivalry game (with a trophy), and we have competitive games. But the kickers are that A) they’re easy to hate, and B) it would give us a yearly game in western PA (if we alternate the H&H w/ our H&H games with Pitt).

We can play 3 cream puffs (2 + ND every ~3 years) for the other OOC games. Or we can play shell games and pick on down Rutgers and UMD teams to get our win total up if we’re worried about WVU being too hard OOC.

I would love to play WfVU every year. The rivalry used to be fierce and the games were enjoyable to watch. Their fans are silly and travel well. They would be a challenging OOC opponent every year and help to build our overall SoS, especially considering we will be in the running for a CFP spot every year from here on out. ;)

FSU has UF
GT has UGA
UL has UK
Clemson has S. Carolina

We need WVU. We have decades of shared history, a named rivalry game (with a trophy), and we have competitive games. But the kickers are that A) they’re easy to hate, and B) it would give us a yearly game in western PA (if we alternate the H&H w/ our H&H games with Pitt).

We can play 3 cream puffs (2 + ND every ~3 years) for the other OOC games. Or we can play shell games and pick on down Rutgers and UMD teams to get our win total up if we’re worried about WVU being too hard OOC.
They look at us as second tier for whatever reason. I just checked out their r*vals board and they are absolutely delusional.

WV plays 9 conference games. They don't have any openings until at least 2025.

And their big OOC rival is Pittsburgh.
Sounds like an opportunity to start playing then in 2026, and wishing that they could play Pitt is their problem.

No thanks. We don’t need to build in more tough games. Every once in a while is fine.

If we’re looking for couch-burning yahoos, I nominate N.C. State

Sounds like an opportunity to start playing then in 2026, and wishing that they could play Pitt is their problem.

They're already playing Pitt in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025.

You think we should have a permanent OOC rivalry game, and that it should be WV.

WV thinks otherwise.

If we want a permanent OOC rival every year, we can have Rutgers.

1. They're a P5 school.
2. They're in an area we recruit.
3. They're in an area where our fans live.

Fair points, but I'd take WVU as it actually means something to us.

As large as NYS is, it's really interesting that there are no other schools in the state that play at the level SU does, and, therefore, no true in-state rival. That's a huge part in what makes the listed in the OP, as well as others not mentioned, so intense. I realize Buffalo now plays at this level, but it has only been recent that they moved up, so there's no history...at all.

That being said, you'd think that we would own NY state on the recruiting front, even with the slim pickings that the state yearly produces for this level, which again, is a bit odd given the size/population of the state. I know Marrone made it a priority to land the top players in the state as is now Babers, and with our recent upward trajectory, hopefully this happens. On that note, it would be great to land that 4* we are not in the running for, DE Idisa Isacc.

Fair points, but I'd take WVU as it actually means something to us.

Well, fun games and a rivalry that's actually a thing. I get that.

But also - a legit 50/50 shot at a L each and every time we play them.
vs.
Rutgers is about a 99.44% chance of a W each and every time we play them.

Both count as a P5 game, so I'd rather bank the P5 win, in an area we actively recruit and have alumni in and nearby,
vs.
playing the Fighting Couchburners, in an area we have no recruiting or alumni, & who have no interest in playing us OOC, since they already have Pitt as their main rival.

From a recruiting and alumni/fan base perspective I would argue UMD and Dumpster fire are the best choices and would be a pretty good rotation every other year

Edit: play dumpster fire in Met Life Stadium even better.

Throw in a directional Florida and 2 tomatoes cans and voila

That being said, you'd think that we would own NY state on the recruiting front, even with the slim pickings that the state yearly produces for this level, which again, is a bit odd given the size/population of the state. I know Marrone made it a priority to land the top players in the state as is now Babers, and with our recent upward trajectory, hopefully this happens. On that note, it would be great to land that 4* we are not in the running for, DE Idisa Isacc.

Funny thing about NYC/LI recruiting...

NYC is actually closer to Maryland and Penn St than it is to Syracuse.

They're already playing Pitt in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025.

You think we should have a permanent OOC rivalry game, and that it should be WV.

WV thinks otherwise.
I do think we should have a permanent OOC rivalry.

WVU *may* think otherwise, but as it stands right now, you think that they think otherwise.

If we want a permanent OOC rival every year, we can have Rutgers.

1. They're a P5 school.
2. They're in an area we recruit.
3. They're in an area where our fans live.

Aligned w/ beating the rut up.

Pretending like there isn’t real talent in western PA/OH is where you lose me. The same goes with trading a legitimate rivalry game (of which we have few) with a game against a glorified mediocre high school in NJ.

As large as NYS is, it's really interesting that there are no other schools in the state that play at the level SU does, and, therefore, no true in-state rival. That's a huge part in what makes the listed in the OP, as well as others not mentioned, so intense. I realize Buffalo now plays at this level, but it has only been recent that they moved up, so there's no history...at all.

Have you ever heard of the USMA at West Point? Me thinks they are in NYS with a long history of playing at our level.

Not OOC. WVU is the only old rivalry I miss but the ACC is plenty tough enough. Let’s just beat them in a bowl every 5-6 years.

Rutgers already has quite a few games scheduled with BC. No room on their schedule for a while.

They look at us as second tier for whatever reason. I just checked out their r*vals board and they are absolutely delusional.
With us being so bad for so long and them having an 8 game winning streak during our descent, we still have a winning record against them. Clueless.

Funny thing about NYC/LI recruiting...

NYC is actually closer to Maryland and Penn St than it is to Syracuse.

Literally no one outside of the tri-state is actually aware of this though.

I mean, I have been saying I'm from three hours southeast of Toronto for years because 99% of "regular" people have the geographical knowledge of a dead parrot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom