We should play the cousins every year. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We should play the cousins every year.

I do think we should have a permanent OOC rivalry.

WVU *may* think otherwise, but as it stands right now, you think that they think otherwise.

No, they think otherwise. It’s not merely speculation; there is absolutely, positively NO interest on the part of WVU to have a standing series with Syracuse. Their biggest rival is Pitt, and the most they could agree to with the Panthers was a four game series - starting in 2022.

Its a shame we don’t play West Virginia and Penn State every year - but that ship has sailed and is highly unlikely to head back to port anytime soon.

Not OOC. WVU is the only old rivalry I miss but the ACC is plenty tough enough. Let’s just beat them in a bowl every 5-6 years.

If we can rotate them w Rutgers and Uconn I’ll be satiated by playing old friends in that OOC slot.

I have a gut feeling that all these conferences will be split up again in my lifetime (I’m early 40s so may be when I’m 80) and we will be with our old friends again. I’m prob delusional

FSU has UF
GT has UGA
UL has UK
Clemson has S. Carolina

We need WVU. We have decades of shared history, a named rivalry game (with a trophy), and we have competitive games. But the kickers are that A) they’re easy to hate, and B) it would give us a yearly game in western PA (if we alternate the H&H w/ our H&H games with Pitt).

We can play 3 cream puffs (2 + ND every ~3 years) for the other OOC games. Or we can play shell games and pick on down Rutgers and UMD teams to get our win total up if we’re worried about WVU being too hard OOC.

You named 4 in state rivalries. What does that have to do with us and WVU?

No, they think otherwise. It’s not merely speculation; there is absolutely, positively NO interest on the part of WVU to have a standing series with Syracuse. Their biggest rival is Pitt, and the most they could agree to with the Panthers was a four game series - starting in 2022.

Its a shame we don’t play West Virginia and Penn State every year - but that ship has sailed and is highly unlikely to head back to port anytime soon.

Maybe sometime in the future they'll get a series together since Oliver Luck left. He got all the rivals back on the schedule (Pitt, Maryland, Penn State, and Virginia Tech) except for the Orange. Even overlapped the series to get us to play Pitt and Penn State in the same year like old times.

IMO, Oliver Luck was probably the reason why there wasn't anything scheduled to begin with.

Maybe sometime in the future they'll get a series together since Oliver Luck left. He got all the rivals back on the schedule (Pitt, Maryland, Penn State, and Virginia Tech) except for the Orange. Even overlapped the series to get us to play Pitt and Penn State in the same year like old times.

IMO, Oliver Luck was probably the reason why there wasn't anything scheduled to begin with.

I’d expect a home-and-home or maybe a four game series with WVU at some point; no chance it’s an annual game like the original post suggests.

Not really sure what issues Luck had with Syracuse, but there was definitely no love between the parties.

I’d expect a home-and-home or maybe a four game series with WVU at some point; no chance it’s an annual game like the original post suggests.

Not really sure what issues Luck had with Syracuse, but there was definitely no love between the parties.

I wouldn't mind a home and home either. We have openings after the Pitt series is through unless it gets extended due to PSU backing away from the Panthers.

I think you broke Luck though. He went 0-4 vs the Orangemen. He was very bitter against everything Syracuse while in Morgantown and even carried it over into his NCAA job.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom