We won. That is all that matters right now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We won. That is all that matters right now

The final score in this game will have no bearing on whether we make the tournament or not. We need a lot more wins. Probably too many. On the plus side, there were times today that we looked great. No one wants to hear that now of course.
Yup. Probably need to win the last 3 and then at least 2 in the ACC Tourney to be in NCAA consideration. Not impossible but what are the odds?

What does everyone think Red should have done differently in the second half? Please provide your thoughts.
Bell was getting abused on the PNR. Taylor played great and didnt see the floor in 2nd half ( well, barley).
I like Bell but his defense was way worse than his offense today.
No adjustments were made (IMO) to stop the 2-man game ND was doing

So, weird question, but how much would a double bye help us?

If we're trying to make the NCAA tourney and believe there's a path without winning the conference tourney, wouldn't the single bye put us in the sweet spot where we have a decent chance to stack up additional neutral court wins against semi-decent opponents?
I was thinking the same thing -- an extra win could help us me thinks (if not "double-bye").

What does everyone think Red should have done differently in the second half? Please provide your thoughts.
Played Qadir more . But sometimes it’s more about the intangibles. His players don’t play tough for a full game

So, weird question, but how much would a double bye help us?

If we're trying to make the NCAA tourney and believe there's a path without winning the conference tourney, wouldn't the single bye put us in the sweet spot where we have a decent chance to stack up additional neutral court wins against semi-decent opponents?
If we are seeded 5-7, we aren’t playing a semi-decent opponent anyway. I don’t want anything to do with the 8-9 game. Those noon Wednesday games are always a crapshoot. I’ll gladly take a double bye and play the 5 seed with a chance to get UNC the next day in prime time.

The final score in this game will have no bearing on whether we make the tournament or not. We need a lot more wins. Probably too many. On the plus side, there were times today that we looked great. No one wants to hear that now of course.

Right- and - while I’m not trying to at all play excuses for bad defense- Shrewsbury is a good coach who had PSU humming before he got to ND. He will have that program back as a tourney team again and they have some pieces with Burton and his kid. Having won 3 in a row and with a good coach who has experience with big comebacks you have to give them some credit too despite our own poor play. We punched them in the mouth early. 10 games ago we win by 40 over that squad but not with how they have been playing of late.

dasher , that's absolutely true. Focus on the win. And, I am going to focus on how we can play when we are locked in. I hope these guys watch film and see what works. Taylor was making great cuts and Maliq was finding him. Maliq is unreal finding cutters. So, LET'S FREAKING CUT!!! Keep moving. Bell can nail shots. Active hands mean turnovers!!!! And, easy baskets. We have talent. We can win games. We are young, they need to understand what they need to do to win games. What works and what doesn't.

Take Chris Bell out of the game.

Given JJ a rest

Not go to zone (they got about 9 pointslate vs zone, wide open uncontested 3s)

Run the same offense as the first half. If you watch the game the first half offensive sets were completely different than the second half. First half we had tremendous player and ball movement and the Second half we went to 2 our stupid ISO offense or two guards high with Brown and our other two players standing the corner.

Our defense will come and go because we have multiple people on the court who are just terrible at it. but our offensive philosophy really changed at halftime and I don't understand why.

Bell played 38 mins.

Ridiculous

There just aren’t many options. Bad defense or lack of size from other guys too. If we had another option that was reliable at forward and enough of a threat on offense then sure. I doubt if a reformed Benny (should that have happened) or McLeod was here that Bell gets those minutes in favor of a Benny or Brown.

If we are seeded 5-7, we aren’t playing a semi-decent opponent anyway. I don’t want anything to do with the 8-9 game. Those noon Wednesday games are always a crapshoot. I’ll gladly take a double bye and play the 5 seed with a chance to get UNC the next day in prime time.
Makes sense.

Run the same offense as the first half. If you watch the game the first half offensive sets were completely different than the second half. First half we had tremendous player and ball movement and the Second half we went to 2 our stupid ISO offense or two guards high with Brown and our other two players standing the corner.

Our defense will come and go because we have multiple people on the court who are just terrible at it. but our offensive philosophy really changed at halftime and I don't understand why.
This a thousand times. We were moving, we were getting layups. ND had no idea what to do. Then we went to iso ball in the second half. It is SOOOOOO easy to guard. How can our guys not watch the video of the game on Monday and not see it????

There just aren’t many options. Bad defense or lack of size from other guys too. If we had another option that was reliable at forward and enough of a threat on offense then sure. I doubt if a reformed Benny (should that have happened) or McLeod was here that Bell gets those minutes in favor of a Benny or Brown.
Defensively anyone else was a better option. He was killing us

You can't pull Bell. He's infuriating but he makes shots. I would have pulled JJ for Taylor and made them hunt Bell with a different screener. Also maybe more size on Burton or any number of things.

One thing this game showed again...we need quickness desperately.

You can't pull Bell. He's infuriating but he makes shots. I would have pulled JJ for Taylor and made them hunt Bell with a different screener. Also maybe more size on Burton or any number of things.

One thing this game showed again...we need quickness desperately.
If you give up, say, 12 points, but score 5.

Is it worth it? At some point just because you can score isn’t good enough

This a thousand times. We were moving, we were getting layups. ND had no idea what to do. Then we went to iso ball in the second half. It is SOOOOOO easy to guard. How can our guys not watch the video of the game on Monday and not see it????

Judah needs to see it. He just can’t seem to let go of it and it bleeds over to JJ too

We scored 40 in the second half. The problem was stops or lack thereof.
Agreed, but the offense in the first half looked better, didn't it?

If you give up, say, 12 points, but score 5.

Is it worth it? At some point just because you can score isn’t good enough
Outside of Maliq nobody on our team guards anyone. Today we needed guys who could score.

Judah needs to see it. He just can’t seem to let go of it and it bleeds over to JJ too
He is still a young player. He is an alpha. He has to figure out how he fits in to that offense. If winning matters more to him than his own numbers, he will figure out how he can help the overall defense, even when he is not getting the points or an assist. He can move a defense, because he is a threat. He can help set up his teammates even when he doesn't touch the ball. He is THAT good. I really don't think he is a selfish player, I think he just doesn't know how else to contribute. I hope he figures it out.

Agreed, but the offense in the first half looked better, didn't it?
Not really a judge on that. We scored at will with only stops being missed FTs or lay-ups. Good thing too because we guarded nobody.

Yeah I’ll just agree to disagree. 38 mins of Bell felt like a response to the Draymond commentary. Jmo
Like on the agree to disagree. Hopefully Red gives Draymond no mind space or we are in a world of hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom