Weakness on all time SU team? Record based on Hypothetical Schedule? | Syracusefan.com

Weakness on all time SU team? Record based on Hypothetical Schedule?

Eric

Walk On
If I were putting a team together for competitive play I think our weakness would maybe be OL. I would take Flannery and Adam Terry but I don't know about the depth?

I like more modern players (but I would have legends such as Jim Brown et al on my all time team).

BTW I have Mcnabb, Don M, and Graves as my QB and I know I am probably in the vast minority but I have coach P as he coach, can't help it growing up he was THE coach to me (even though I knew my history wayyy back).

Overall I think our/my squad would do well in a 16 game schedule mixed up against all types of teams. Thoughts on a weak link on YOUR all time SU team & if I threw a 16 game schedule at your team with opponents such as lets say...SU All Time Vs. 1995 NY JETs, or SU All Time Vs. Modern Day Air Force, or SU All Time vs. Michigan State Football All Time. You get the point it would be a random schedule with any and all SU all time vs College or Pro programs (who knows the computer could even throw an All time High School legends team onto the schedule). How do you think your team would do and what would the record be?

Why would a hypothetical SU team be playing the 1995 New York Jets? or Mich State? Modern Day Air Force??? :noidea:

This is ridiculous without guidelines.

Yes it is a "fantasy" question. If you don't like the built in autonomy you do not need to answer it. To elaborate I came up with the set up since the SU team is hypothetical I could have some fun with the scheduling. I should mention in my mind any of the SU players on my team would be playing at their peak. So I would have someone like D. Darius at his peak on the Jaguars matching up against those 95 Jets.

thanks for participating. that is obviously a very solid team you put together. i would definitely go with a lot of similar players. looking at the list i would still be concerned about the OL going up against the modern D lines that would be scheduled in my hypothetical (although I know you didn't put your team together with me in mind).

HC - P
QB - Mcnabb, McPherson, Graves
RB - Kyle Mcintosh, James Mungro, Dee Brown,
FB - Jim Brown, Rob Konrad, Johnston, Csonka
TE - Berminski, Mackey, Provo (get a current player on team like Leatner 92 dream team), Gedney
WR - Harrison, D. Tyree, Ismail, Pat Woodcok and Moore, Monk, Jim Turner, Kevin Johnson, Q Spotwood
OL - Pilon?, Flannersy, Terry, TBD (Ringo would be one of my OL coaches)
DL - Freeney, Burnett, Antonio Anderson, Brian Coleman, Arthuer Jones
LB - Conley, Clifton Smith, Morlon Greenwood, K Bulluck
DB - Diamond Ferri, W. Allen, K. Abrams, Tebucky Jones, D. Darius, Steve Gregory
K - Olindo Mare, Anderson as possible backup TBD
P - Pat Oneil, TBD during tryouts
KR - Ismail, Kevin Johnson, Jim Turner
LS - TBD during tryouts

No Ernie Davis on team in memory of his life.
Also no Kevin Mitchell in honor of his life. We would be playing for these legends.

You did a good job. Some comments:
I would include Pat Killorin in your list of centers. He was an AA C in the mid 1960s.
Bob Fleck was an AA at guard circa 1953. He should be mentioned before some of your guards.
I would include Greenwood before Romano. I would include Hogue and Glen Young before Romano too.
But the biggest quibble I have is that you did not mention Floyd Little at all. He was a 3 time AA and while I never saw him play in person, from the film I have seen and the people I have talked to, I am pretty sure he was the most exciting player to ever play for Syracuse. In addition to being a great RB, he was a great return man. The best we have ever had, IMHO.

By the way, based on the randomized schedule I referred to earlier in the post I believe that my all time Syracuse team would go at leaast 11-5 with a playoff birth.

By the way, based on the randomized schedule I referred to earlier in the post I believe that my all time Syracuse team would go at leaast 11-5 with a playoff birth.
What about Joe Morris? Your running backs are not even close to being as good as he was!

You know something put Joe Morris on My team! You are absolutely correct Captain. The guy is a legend, Super Bowl Champion, Loves the game owns an Arena team. While I might not want too many superstars I think Joe Morris would make my team actually!! Maybe even at the expense of a bigger star at Fullback if my roster was capped.

thanks for participating. that is obviously a very solid team you put together. i would definitely go with a lot of similar players. looking at the list i would still be concerned about the OL going up against the modern D lines that would be scheduled in my hypothetical (although I know you didn't put your team together with me in mind).

HC - P
TE - Berminski, Mackey, Provo (get a current player on team like Leatner 92 dream team), Gedney
WR - Harrison, D. Tyree, Ismail, Pat Woodcok and Moore, Monk, Jim Turner, Kevin Johnson, Q Spotwood
DB - Diamond Ferri, W. Allen, K. Abrams, Tebucky Jones, D. Darius, Steve Gregory
LS - TBD during tryouts

Also no Kevin Mitchell in honor of his life. We would be playing for these legends.
Just a few names to add off the top of my head; Joe Morris, Jim Collins, Terry Wooden, Markus Paul, Tommy Myers, Tim Green, Ken Clarke

Having Morris on the team, and getting Dar Dar on there are changes I would make. Maybe have to remove a more antique player or two (maybe even Harrison bc of bad karma) to get those two on the squad. 44, War Dam Otto,

(this post is in memory of the saltine warrior)

I like it Cuse in Cincy. I would try out some of those players if I was principle of the team. I neglected the 80s a bit. I am bias to 90s and current. Of course I make exceptions for legends and I would try out a lot of those guys and see if they could keep up with the best teams ever. I don't think Green would make it though, I don't want to take every superstar and I think I would just give him a role in the weight room or something. Markus Paul I don't know if his ceiling was high enough to put on my roster, did he have any off field issues? I want a team that could keep up with a good NFL team this year.

Yes it is a "fantasy" question. If you don't like the built in autonomy you do not need to answer it. To elaborate I came up with the set up since the SU team is hypothetical I could have some fun with the scheduling. I should mention in my mind any of the SU players on my team would be playing at their peak. So I would have someone like D. Darius at his peak on the Jaguars matching up against those 95 Jets.
Any team with out Floyd Little as a tailback is incomplete andnoncompetitive. The only caveat to yrsterday's plays is that they would require modern training techniques in off season conditioning. Even Big Jim Brown would benefit if he worked under those conditions. Perhaps in his case the improvement might be negligible but for the others far more evident. You can't have Paul without George. they are surgically grafted together. I just saw Eric's post agreeing on Flod Little.As great as SWErnie was on and off the field Floyd was a better running back Better speed and cutting ability. Its just a fact. not a put down of our patron Saint Ernie Davis. I loved the guy and shed tears when learning of his death.

Agree CaliCuse. I think Floyd Little would definitely make my team!!! I actually have one of his old cards when he was on the broncos. He would be a great character guy. Good points about the training.

Having Morris on the team, and getting Dar Dar on there are changes I would make. Maybe have to remove a more antique player or two (maybe even Harrison bc of bad karma) to get those two on the squad. 44, War Dam Otto,

(this post is in memory of the saltine warrior)
Imagine how good Dan Conly could have been without all of his Knee injuries. He is one of my favorite players.

Oh man, Conley is LEGENDARY now imagine him with good knees. I remember as a little kid (he was basically i think my 1st ever favorite player). I rememver even after all the surgeries he was trying out in the CFL. Intensity not matched by many that have ever played. I would like to invite him to my dinner where you can invite any 3 people ever. I would love to watch a highlight tape of his. Dan Conley. Captain of the all time SU Football Team.

HC - P
LS - TBD during tryouts

Those are your RB's huh? None would be on my team.

Brown, Davis, Little, Morris is the list

yes, i don't wan too many personalities and featured backs. i have also modified a bit. however i need a more current crop. humans have evolved a little bit. i need some vitality in the backfield. keep in mind im not putting together an all Time SU Team. Im putting together a team that could compete in a month or two. but keep in mind i put Jim brown at FB. And I said both LIttle and Morris would probably ultimately make my team. And the team is dedicated to Davis.

but back to the original question. the weakness would be the OL right?

No way you can leave Bo Nance off the best fullbacks list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom