Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Recruiting

i

Syracuse University football team will learn DE target's college preference on Tuesday afternoon

Syracuse University football team could have a "great story" on its roster when camp opens

SU Football News

11312976-large.jpeg

2012 Biletnikoff Award Watch List: Syracuse's Alec Lemon Makes List

Video
Lemon makes Biletnikoff preseason watch list

Deon Goggins nominated to the 2012 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team

Pugh Honored on Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List

Cincinnati Bearcats — 2012 Syracuse Football preview

Fans should enjoy 1 more year of rivalries, historic matchups before Syracuse's move to ACC

Former Players

Syracuse University football greats Jim Brown, Dwight Freeney lend legends to pregame video

Interview with Keith Bulluck, Former NFL Player Turned Sports Psychology Analyst

Patriot's added four former SU players in the off-season

Penn State

paterno-signjpg-f41ef3d5a844236c.jpg

Anti-Paterno statue banner flown over stadium

NCAA president: 'Death penalty' a possibility for Penn State football program

Ashamed for Joe Paterno and Penn State’s leaders, but still proud of my school

Docs: Penn St. board passed on reform in '04

Penn St. says it will answer NCAA within days

SEC's Slive: Freeh report a reminder of duties

Mizzou coach defends Paterno at SEC meeting

Around The Big East

Regional Digest: UConn Has 3 On Lombardi Watch List

Big East Position Rankings: Special Teams

Unit Rankings: 2012 Big East Defensive Lines

Big East Position Rankings: Linebackers

Around The Nation

Butch Davis hoping to coach in college again

Here Are The Only 10 Teams Eligible To Play For The BCS Title This Year

Michigan State Football: Spartans Emerging as Big Ten Power

NFL

Dez Bryant's mother: Son 'tried to kill me'

Blogs

2012 Program Preview - Syracuse

Syracuse officially joining ACC early, creating potential 2013 ACC schedules

Depending on how Clemson does...they could be the opener at MetLife too (FSU, VT or Miami might work too). Not a bad idea to have in your hip pocket (if PSU isn't playing FB in 2013).

Thanks for the break down, Tom.

8/31/13 = Rutgers @MetLife??? This should get the board boiling...

Thanks for the break down, Tom.

8/31/13 = Rutgers @MetLife??? This should get the board boiling...

We can pay them $250,000 (about what we pay similar 1AA teams) to a guaranteed game at MetLife. I like it. They can bus their players up the morning of, get beat, eat at Denny's on the Turnpike and be back to Rutgizz by 7pm.

We can pay them $250,000 (about what we pay similar 1AA teams) to a guaranteed game at MetLife. I like it. They can bus their players up the morning of, get beat, eat at Denny's on the Turnpike and be back to Rutgizz by 7pm.

Yeah but, Rutgers does not schedule "up" for OOC.

Yeah but, Rutgers does not schedule "up" for OOC.
come on - they're going to pay UCLA in 2017 - how can they possibly add a second BCS opponent between now and then? that would be bowl eligibility suicide for rutgers!

The link to the Potential 2013 ACC Schedules should be of great interest. It contains projected league schedules for all ACC schools for the 2013 football season.

Here is what they are projecting, with existing contracted OOC games added :

Sat, 8/31 Penn State (MetLife Stadium, NJ)
Sat, 9/7 @Northwestern
Sat, 9/14 TBD (non BCS school)
@ Maryland
Clemson
Wake Forest
@NC State
@FSU
Virginia
@Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh
Fri, 11/29 BC

Atlantic division schools play 5 homes in odd years, 4 in even years, so no surprises there. Playing BC at home is a bit of a surprise...we were scheduled to play them in Boston in 2013 before being invited into the ACC. Good break for Syracuse.

I am again projecting the SU-BC game to be played on the Friday of Thanksfgiving Day weekend, as I think it is always going to be played on that day, based on clauses we have discussed at length from the new ESPN-ACC television contract.

If you look at this from the perspective of finding a way to get bowl eligible, it is good we aren't playing Miami or V Tech, and bad we are not playing Duke.

From the perspective of having an interesting home schedule, playing Pitt and BC at home is nice, but not going to raise a lot of interest. It would have been nice to get VT, Miami or at least FSU to the Dome in year 1. Don't get me wrong, this is the best home schedule we have had since UM and VT left the BE. But it isn't going to drive season ticket sales to 40K either. FYI, Pitt is projected to get UVa, UNC, UM and FSU at home and GT, Duke, VT, SU and Wake on the road.

IMHO, VT and Miami are the only football programs in the ACC that are going to bring a big buzz when they come to the Dome...in part because they are very good programs and in part because of our history with them from the early days of the Big East. FSU might too if they can become a dominant program again. Clemson has a fine program and a lot of talent but to a lot of CNY people, they are just another Southern football program. The people I talk to (who are more casual fans than people who are on this board), are only stoked when the conversation turns to VT and UM.

I agree with Jurrie about the 8/31 date at MetLife Stadium. If Penn State gets the death penalty or does the honorable thing and drops football, I think Syracuse will hold the date and play there anyway. Since the UVa game looks like it is supposed to be at home anyway, I definitely could see Dr Gross moving it to Jersey and scheduling an OOC home game in its place. Hopefully against a good BCS opponent. That would be a nice recovery move if PSU football is no more in 2013.

That's a great looking schedule.

Clemson, WF, Pitt, UVA, BC at home - love it.

I agree with Jurrie about the 8/31 date at MetLife Stadium. If Penn State gets the death penalty or does the honorable thing and drops football, I think Syracuse will hold the date and play there anyway. Since the UVa game looks like it is supposed to be at home anyway, I definitely could see Dr Gross moving it to Jersey and scheduling an OOC home game in its place. Hopefully against a good BCS opponent. That would be a nice recovery move if PSU football is no more in 2013.[/quote]

I'd hate to see the precedent of moving a conference game off campus. If the PSU game does not happen due to sanctions, there will be 11 other schools looking to fill a schedule gap. I assume the B1G will juggle things and keep the conference schedule at 8 games. PSU's non conference schedule other than Cuse includes UVa coincidentally so no relief there, and Eastern Michigan and Kent State, not exactly candidates for Met Life. Time to start scrambling for a contingency plan.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I think TGD can't get bashed too badly if he schedules an ACC team at MetLife (if PSU cancels)...however, I think first he needs to first ask Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, etc...if they can come up and play. Just remember if Penn State cancels alot of B10 schools might be very interested in playing Syracuse the next few years.

I think Ohio State might be our best opponent to replace Penn State.

Moving a conference home game to NJ is asinine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hard to believe Alec Lemon is a senior. Cripes, seems like he just got here. And it doesn't seem like that long ago when his father used to post all the time.

Yes, that would never happen.

The speculation was that in order to keep the contract with the MetLife people (and the cash guarantee), if PSU is a no go, Dr Gross might move UVa to NJ and book a good BCS team in the Dome as a replacement.

SU keeps the fat cash guarantee.
The NYC area SU fans get to see SU play close to home.
SU gets to use the game to extend its recruiting range in the NYC metro area to cover NJ.
Local SU fans get the equivalent of the UVa game with the replacement game for PSU in the Dome (someone like say WVU or Arkansas).

That would be a win, win, win, win, win situation. Actually a win, win, win, win, win, loss situation. Rutgers loses, as always.

The speculation was that in order to keep the contract with the MetLife people (and the cash guarantee), if PSU is a no go, Dr Gross might move UVa to NJ and book a good BCS team in the Dome as a replacement.

SU gets to use the game to extend its recruiting range in the NYC metro area to cover NJ.
Local SU fans get the equivalent of the UVa game with the replacement game for PSU in the Dome (someone like say WVU or Arkansas).

That would be a win, win, win, win, win situation. Actually a win, win, win, win, win, loss situation. Rutgers loses, as always.
A win for Su coupled with Rutgers pain is perfection. I hope we can do that in the great township of Piscataway this year.Always a good thing to beat them at home.

But as we've been told before, good OOC teams wont come to the dome. Maybe they would to NJ.

Well, at least moving Virginia to there would be asinine. We'd be lucky to get 45K for that game.

Cheers,
Neil

When I mentioned the 2013 MetLife game, I suggested looking at schools like OSU, Michigan, Florida, etc..

Moving a conference game wouldn't be where I'd start my replacement search.

But as we've been told before, good OOC teams wont come to the dome. Maybe they would to NJ.

Like you, I am not buying that...

Well, at least moving Virginia to there would be asinine. We'd be lucky to get 45K for that game.

Cheers,
Neil
I agree with that. Heck, I think we will be lucky to get 45K for USC.

I agree with that. Heck, I think we will be lucky to get 45K for USC.

I think with USC's high pre-season ranking and the fact that some ND fans may show up to root against them, we'll see low 50Ks for that game.

The money-maker games (high 60K to mid 70K) would be ND, PSU, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Still shaking my head that the Wolverines scheduled UConn over us for that very reason.

Cheers,
Neil

I think with USC's high pre-season ranking and the fact that some ND fans may show up to root against them, we'll see low 50Ks for that game.

The money-maker games (high 60K to mid 70K) would be ND, PSU, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Still shaking my head that the Wolverines scheduled UConn over us for that very reason.

Cheers,
Neil
There is talk Michigan is going to buy out the game at the Rent. Does not look like there will be Wolverines in East Hartford. It would be great to schedule a 1-1-1 with them like we did with Penn State. They might be willing to do that.