Week 1 ACC/FBS Games for Aug 31 - Sept 4 | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Week 1 ACC/FBS Games for Aug 31 - Sept 4

Clemson had more rushing yards, more passing yards, more first downs, way fewer penalties, better on third down, held the ball for seven more minutes… and lost by three TDs.

So you would assume there was a big turnover differential to account for this but they only had one more turnover than Duke (3-2).

Very confusing box score related to final score.

You know who has to be feeling good this morning is DJ leading Top 15 Oregon State.
DJ and Klubnik were both 5 star QB recruits. Maybe it's the offensive coaching that has become stale?

I couldn't watch...thanks Spectrum. Did Duke look that good or was it Clemson having an inept offense and not Clemsonlike defense?

Clemson looked pedestrian to me. I didn’t really see any freaks on either side of the ball. Offensively it was pretty meh. Their DLine swarmed at times though.

Because it essentially rewards the defense. They get a free and dangerous QB shot with only the only “penalty” being a 15 yard backup, one that doesn’t even force them to start with a 1st and 25. If the goal is protect the QB and punish the player then the penalty should be applied as if it occurred during the play, otherwise there’s essentially zero consequence.

It's just basically a loophole in the rules. it would have to be something addressed during the offseason. That's usually how situations like that get taken care of, something rare comes up that shows a weakness in the rules.

Clemson had more rushing yards, more passing yards, more first downs, way fewer penalties, better on third down, held the ball for seven more minutes… and lost by three TDs.

So you would assume there was a big turnover differential to account for this but they only had one more turnover than Duke (3-2).

Very confusing box score related to final score.

You know who has to be feeling good this morning is DJ leading Top 15 Oregon State.

Sometimes it's more about where you turn the ball over. Getting first downs at the 1 yard line twice, and then turning it over was such a dagger.

Missing two FGs didn't help either, one being blocked and one being a chip shot gone horribly wrong. 4 red zone trips ending in disaster.

Maybe we're misguiding some of our FSU hate that should be saved for Clemson. They're essentially FSU's silent partner in all of this.

I know it would have been better for the league if Clemson won, but I thought it was fun to watch Duke stand up to them.

Last edited:
1693917760850.png

it was a strange call on the roughing/targetting.. Its like 4th down pass that goes high and the WR gets speared as it goes way over his head.. do they call it dead ball ever?

How is it a terrible ruling? By logic the QB downed himself and contact occurred after the fact. It’s a bang bang play but it happened in the dead ball period after a 4th down was completed. Therefore it was Duke ball at point of impact.
tell me this. if its fourth down and the guy runs OB and gets hit late is it a dead ball call?

tell me this. if its fourth down and the guy runs OB and gets hit late is it a dead ball call?
Whoa. This is an incredible point. Interesting. If it’s not a dead ball call, we’ve found a rule glitch from last night

DJ and Klubnik were both 5 star QB recruits. Maybe it's the offensive coaching that has become stale?

I think it’s Dabo. They buried Chad Morris and brought in the dude from TCU…

But Dabo, I’m just guessing, has his thumb on the O quite a bit. He hates the NIL, doesn’t use the portal (barely at all) and wants to do things his way.

With that said, he’s had an historic run, but they all end at some point, Saban has just made it seem like they can last in perpetuity.

Also, read that Clemson lost a key WR coach as well.

Worst excuse ever. Tied with who are we going to get better than Dino.
Whoa I just asked a question that I thought was kind of valid considering what I was watching with Duke and how they won the game. You don’t think we could have found someone over the last 8 years that could have a 40% win percentage ? And if you took out the cupcake games it’s even worse.
No one has ever heard of Duke coach. And Dino Babers didn’t win 10 games, Eric dungey did in my opinion. I just think Dino has gotten the benefit of the doubt as a “good coach”. Sean Lewis was a good coach. Rocky long is a good coach. Dino? Can’t say he’s a good coach

Whoa I just asked a question that I thought was kind of valid considering what I was watching with Duke and how they won the game. You don’t think we could have found someone over the last 8 years that could have a 40% win percentage ? And if you took out the cupcake games it’s even worse.
No one has ever heard of Duke coach. And Dino Babers didn’t win 10 games, Eric dungey did in my opinion. I just think Dino has gotten the benefit of the doubt as a “good coach”. Sean Lewis was a good coach. Rocky long is a good coach. Dino? Can’t say he’s a good coach

Nope Dino won 10 games just like he owns the losses as well. Only season even worth debating was the covid one but the record is the record. Sean Lewis was also gone when we won 10 games which is lost on most people here. And sure Sean is a good coach but he also moved to CU because the path to a better HC gig is through the OC job in Boulder. More $ and a better place to live as well.

I'm sorry I must have typed unclearly - I definitely think we could have found someone - The excuses of X number of years to rebuild and that we couldn't get anybody better is what I was disagreeing with.

I wouldn’t be too quick to write off Clemson. Coach P always said you need 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing to consistently win games. Clemson had that last night. They lost because of turnovers and missed field goals. They can both be corrected. Clemson has always been good when they have superior quarterback play. They haven’t had that the past two years. It might come back to bite them again this year. I would be careful not to bury Clemson quite yet. Don’t be too quick to crown FSU. Their quarterback gets hurt and they are done.
I agree but in regards to the last sentence you can say that about pretty much every contending team.

Yes if the runner has touched out of bounds, then it is supposed to be a dead ball call.

Yes if the runner has touched out of bounds, then it is supposed to be a dead ball call.
not saying thats not true.. just saying i have never seen it called that way on a 4th down play.

how many times have you seen a 4th down pass where the qb gets hit late . they never seem even look at did the ball hit the ground first

Notre Dame who plays 6 games in the ACC who demand their independence then plays the likes of Tennessee State for non conference games how exciting for their fans

But they are 'above' the rest of college football. After all, they won the national championship just 35 years ago and their coach jumped to LSU because he couldn't win a natty at ND. They have a great history but they are to college football what Johns Hopkins is to lacrosse and UCLA to college basketball.

But they are 'above' the rest of college football. After all, they won the national championship just 35 years ago and their coach jumped to LSU because he couldn't win a natty at ND. They have a great history but they are to college football what Johns Hopkins is to lacrosse and UCLA to college basketball.
Perhaps they should ask themselves why do they need their independence? What do they gain from being an independent other than scheduling 4 more games that are not ACC games. Can anyone pull up the last five years to see who they play outside the conference?

USC, Stanford, Army, Air Force? So they are independent because of those few teams add Navy. I heard Stanford would be considered outside of their conference game once Stanford joins? Is that true? If that’s true that’s also ridiculous. Let them keep their NBC deal and be in the conference full time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom