Week 1 Depth Chart for Liberty | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Week 1 Depth Chart for Liberty

Not surprised by Alexander. I am sure we’ll still do a lot of rotating things specially early and he’ll get plenty of PT as he improves. But like I said last week o didn’t get the automatic plugging in if him as the starting LT. He played RT in the MAC for 3 years and made honorable mention all league. Not 1st or 2nd team. Now he’s moving up in class. He could eventually end up there but right off the bat didn’t make sense.

While Clay was excellent in the spring game, it's a steep drop-off if Tommy goes down. Tommy is on another level, and that’s not meant to be disrespectful to Rex or Clay at all.
We all know what Tommy can do. We've seen him play and we've seen Rex. None of us truly know how far away Clay is. There's no game film of him. Clay has been in the system for 3 years. TD has a game and half more experience than him. Im just saying its possible that we can still win if something was to happen to TD.

Not surprised by Alexander. I am sure we’ll still do a lot of rotating things specially early and he’ll get plenty of PT as he improves. But like I said last week o didn’t get the automatic plugging in if him as the starting LT. He played RT in the MAC for 3 years and made honorable mention all league. Not 1st or 2nd team. Now he’s moving up in class. He could eventually end up there but right off the bat didn’t make sense.

I'm happy SU has a RSFreshmen talented enough to be able to hold the spot until Alexander is ready.

Both Trill and Evan have linebacker size and can shift down to the box when we want them to. Huge advantage to have 4 linebackers or 5 DBs within the same group of guys.
Iffy does also at 6-3 207, and rsoph.

Will be watching o line closely. This starting 5 is a bit of a surprise.

Will be watching o line closely. This starting 5 is a bit of a surprise.
The only surprise for me is Carlos V. Thought Alexander would be RT. Just think the 2 newbies are still learning how to compete at pace. Talented but still learning.

The only surprise for me is Carlos V. Thought Alexander would be RT. Just think the 2 newbies are still learning how to compete at pace. Talented but still learning.

To be fair, Servais started as a redshirt freshman too. It'll be interesting to see whether he's ready to compete. He saw limited action last year and was on the two-deep a few times IIRC.

Vetty shouldn't be a surprise. The kid has talent and a mean streak, plus already has a year of Edinger's conditioning under his belt, as well as a year understanding the speed, steps and protections of Dino's OL playbook. Alexander will be get run, but it's a good thing we have a solid 7, if not 8 (P Davis) kids that can play today.

Having 3 veterans in Servais, Adams and Heckel on that line gives me confidence. I think we'll be fine.

Fully expecting to see some different personnel/combos over the first 2 games, but especially against Liberty.

So thoughts on elmore? Will we see him in the back field more or lined up as a more traditional TE? Definitely an asset to have helping against certain teams with good edge rushers..

So thoughts on elmore? Will we see him in the back field more or lined up as a more traditional TE? Definitely an asset to have helping against certain teams with good edge rushers..
Elmore is there to block.

Elmore will be there to dislocate necks, terrify opposing players’ parents and provide thundering BOOMS in the Dome.

If Servais has NFL potential, is it at center, tackle, or even guard?

Anyone else surprised that he's listed 20 pounds lighter than last year? Typo? Or is it for greater mobility on the edge? 6-6, 273. You worry about him getting bull-rushed.

I'd like to know who the third LB is in a 3 LB set because there's no way we're playing this 4-2-5 much. Teams will run it down our throat like they did last year. Will it be Richards, Jones or Wallace.

I'd like to know who the third LB is in a 3 LB set because there's no way we're playing this 4-2-5 much. Teams will run it down our throat like they did last year. Will it be Richards, Jones or Wallace.
I think it will be Jones first, with a lot of Wallace. I see Richards as a rover type like ASU used to use for their hybrid guys.

Trill is bigger than he was and can do some of those things. But yeah - we learned that lesson last year vs Pitt. I think we’ll be flexible.

Trill is bigger than he was and can do some of those things. But yeah - we learned that lesson last year vs Pitt. I think we’ll be flexible.

Trill is 200lbs. My memory isn't short enough to forget how all of our other converted 205lb LBs have faired.

I don't want one of our best DBs suffering shoulder problems either getting run over playing out of position at OLB.

Last edited:
I hate the 4-2 also. Having 3 lb's in box with our secondary talent makes it that much harder to move the ball against us. As far as TR, we all know he's got way too much talent to sit. I hope Ward lets him roam near the LOS to mess up opponents' game plans and assassinate runners.

4-2-5 is just the base list defense since so many teams run a spread.
They will move to a 4-3 when needed.
Just like when you list 4-3 as your base you move to a 4-2-5 in passing situation.
It’s defense 101.