Week 7 Uniforms for NC State | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Week 7 Uniforms for NC State

No haterade for me, I like them. Could use more orange. Get rid of all the white or blue striping and replace with orange.

Don't like the Block S.

Reminds me of Michigan State and Stanford.

The true identity is the plain orange with the stripes.

Eh, that "true identity" was the helmet style for, what, 23 years? The block "S" has been on them for the past 15. I know the on-field success of the eras has been wildly different, but the look you describe doesn't have a ton of tenure over the current one.

Eh, that "true identity" was the helmet style for, what, 23 years? The block "S" has been on them for the past 15. I know the on-field success of the eras has been wildly different, but the look you describe doesn't have a ton of tenure over the current one.

When people watch The Express they must be so confused about the numbers on the helmet.

Maybe they think it's about the 2005 season.

Don't like the Block S.

Reminds me of Michigan State and Stanford.

The true identity is the plain orange with the stripes.
We only started the block S with doc holly. It’s not our brand.

The orange helmet with stripes was the helmet for 25 years.

It became part of the brand of success.

The Block S was added to the helmet by Dr. Gross I believe in 2007 or 2008?.

The orange helmet with stripes was the helmet for 25 years.

The S was put on the helmet by Dr. Gross I believe in 2006.

OK, adjust what I said by a year or two. The point remains, the look you're advocating for was essentially an 80s/90s thing. Which is fine. But it wasn't the look in the 50s or 60s. Saying its the "true identity" is entirely subjective.

When people watch The Express they must be so confused about the numbers on the helmet.

Maybe they think it's about the 2005 season.

Actually, most teams had numbers on helmets during that time period.

Penn State had numbers on helmets until I believe the 1973 season.

I would rather have the numbers than the Block S, but would prefer the simple plain orange helmets with the stripes - it reflects class and recalls the great success that the program had from 1985 through 2004.

Last edited:
OK, adjust what I said by a year or two. The point remains, the look you're advocating for was essentially an 80s/90s thing. Which is fine. But it wasn't the look in the 50s or 60s. Saying its the "true identity" is entirely subjective.

When the contract with Nike expires, we’ll go with a new uniform look. So any hope this program develops an identity is fruitless.

I am advocating what was a 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s look.

That look became the national brand for the program during its longest sustained period of success.

That look became familiar to fans across the US with the advent of ESPN and substantial coverage of college football.

The look was great - it was first class.

In my opinion programs that maintain the classic look - Alabama, Auburn, USC, Iowa, Penn State - convey class and gravitas - they make a statement about what they are - solid, steady and confident.

The programs that do what we now do - present a different, contrived look every week - convey a desperate effort to be relevant and almost a lack of confidence.

Gimmick uniforms do not transform programs - they cheapen programs.

I want to be Alabama and USC. I don't want to be UCF or Oklahoma State or Texas Tech or some MAC school.

That's just how I feel about it.

Last edited:
That look became the national brand for the program during its longest sustained period of success.

That look became familiar to fans across the US with the advent of ESPN and substantial coverage of college football.

In my opinion programs that maintain the classic look - Alabama, Auburn, USC, Iowa, Penn State - convey class and gravitas - they make a statement about what they are - solid, steady and confident.

The programs that do what we now do - present a different, contrived look every week - convey a desperate effort to be relevant and almost a lack of confidence.

I want to be Alabama and USC. I don't want to be UCF or Oklahoma State or Texas Tech or some MAC school.

Florida, OU, tOSU have different schemes. Somehow they've survived.

At least we have the right colors, piping, etc around the uni. People are freaked out about having orange that actually looks orange.

university-of-alabama-football-uniform-history.jpg

Needless to say, you are entitled to your feelings.

These were Penn State's helmets last weekend:

1570555534187.png

Desperate, contrived Florida, who clearly lacks for football success, wore these:

1570555736435.png

:)

i like the new uniforms b/c the look is cleaner and i can read the #s. better than the last versions. i liked the 90s versions the most. all of these things can be true in my uniform world. I hope the school introduces retro so we all can be satiated at some point.

Haha trust me - I'm a pretty big videophile. The orange "S" on midfield looks orange. The orange backdrop where they show the score looks orange. The uniforms look closer to red than orange for some reason. And it's not just on my TV. It doesn't bug me, it was more tongue in cheek, but I know I saw a few others mention it at times so I thought I'd make one of my typical poor attempts at humor. :)
I'm going to assume you thought the dress was white and gold

I just want to know, when are they gonna start wearing Megaman helmets?

Needless to say, you are entitled to your feelings.

These were Penn State's helmets last weekend:

View attachment 171173

Desperate, contrived Florida, who clearly lacks for football success, wore these:

View attachment 171175

:)

Yes, Penn State had a throwback weekend.

The Lions added the numbers to the helmets.

Florida wore throwbacks as well - I believe celebrating Steve Spurrier.

I would have no problem with throwbacks on occasion - it would actually be a nice idea. I actually encouraged the Athletic Department to wear the Schwartzwalder home white uniforms on what used to be Legends Weekend during which the Leukemia Society would have a dinner event. I still think that would be a very good idea.

As far as your sarcasm is concerned, go at it.

Last edited:
Florida, OU, tOSU have different schemes. Somehow they've survived.

At least we have the right colors, piping, etc around the uni. People are freaked out about having orange that actually looks orange.

Understood.

But OU and OSU and ND and LSU do not wear a different uniform every week.

They all typically wear their traditional uniforms.

On occasion they will break out a funky uniform, but for the most part they stick to the brand.

I would be fine with that.

But that is not what we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom