Welch’s bounce passes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Welch’s bounce passes

I laughed. I cried. I hurled.

Don’t think I’ve seen a QB take a safety for intentional grounding in the end zone with the LOS outside the 10 yard line since.

And I posted this:

The quintessential Nunes play has to be that intentional grounding call against Michigan that resulted in a safety when the line of scrimmage was the - 40 or so.
Wasn't that the one that was nearly a completion? When he threw it, there was no one on that side of the field but he floated it enough that one of our guys almost got to it. They called it grounding anyway. I guess it's the thought that counts.

Last edited:
The quintessential Nunes play has to be that intentional grounding call against Michigan that resulted in a safety when the line of scrimmage was the - 40 or so.

I don’t think it was quintessential at all but it is the one that people remember. Nobody ever remembers that it was only the third game of his frosh year and he should not have even been playing. He was in for Madei Williams. It was a huge brain fart but it was way too early for him to have even been seeing playing time.

I don’t think it was quintessential at all but it is the one that people remember. Nobody ever remembers that it was only the third game of his frosh year and he should not have even been playing. He was in for Madei Williams. It was a huge brain fart but it was way too early for him to have even been seeing playing time.

And by today’s rules it wouldn’t be grounding.

Falling backwards into the end zone against VT in 2000 and throwing the ball straight up in the air was another good one. But he redeemed that by beating them in 2002.

There was the pass against Pitt off a lineman that he caught and then fumbled. But there was coming off the bench and leading the game tying drive at Auburn.

And lest we forget, he got the girl.

Last edited:

The quintessential Nunes play was the mad scramble and TD pass to David Tyree against Pitt in the Dome.

And by today’s rules it wouldn’t be grounding.

Falling backwards into the end zone against VT in 2000 and throwing the ball straight up in the air was another good one. But he redeemed that by beating them in 2002.

There was the pass against Pitt off a lineman that he caught and then fumbled. But there was coming off the bench and leading the game tying drive at Auburn.

And lest we forget, he got the girl.

The most maddening/remarkable athlete I have ever seen play for Syracuse University Football

I laughed. I cried. I hurled.

Don’t think I’ve seen a QB take a safety for intentional grounding in the end zone with the LOS outside the 10 yard line since.
Didn't he do it against VT later that same season? On second thought, I think it looked like it was headed that way but instead ended in a pick 6? Or am I just imagining it? It was the game Freeney tried to win single handedly by bludgeoning Vick.

Didn't he do it against VT later that same season? On second thought, I think it looked like it was headed that way but instead ended in a pick 6? Or am I just imagining it? It was the game Freeney tried to win single handedly by bludgeoning Vick.

It was a pick, but not six. But they got the ball on around the 10 and scored.

He dropped back, had his foot stepped on by a lineman and just threw the ball up in the air rather than take the safety.

It was a pick, but not six. But they got the ball on around the 10 and scored.

He dropped back, had his foot stepped on by a lineman and just threw the ball up in the air rather than take the safety.
I knew someone would remember it better.

I always thought the officer, Zack Mahoney, was the king of the turf burners.

He and Welch have a lot in common.
mcnabb would've been the greatest qb ever if he stopped throwing at WRs shoes

all those 47 year old fast WRs are wearing mall walker orthotics now because of it, true story

didn't espn have a nunes highlight that they sped up and set to Yakkity Sax (the benny hill song)

i hope i'm not making that up

didn't espn have a nunes highlight that they sped up and set to Yakkity Sax (the benny hill song)

i hope i'm not making that up
I believe that was the basketball team at the end of a game where we had about 6 or 7 shots to tie the game and missed them all.

The PT TD pass vs. Pitt reminds me of the saying about the blind squirrel finding a nut once in a while.

In fairness, Nunes was a very lightly regarded recruit who was pressed into service because he was all we had.

He took such a beating from the fans, there there arose a pro-Nunes group in reaction who focused on the plays he ran successfully. ("Stop making fun of him, he's not as bad as you all are saying") And that he had a good-looking girlfriend.

Nunes eventually learned, although I'm sure his impulses told him to start running backwards as in the video clip many more times.

The question before us is whether TD can learn. Some of those sacks are unavoidable. The pocket collapses so quickly, Tom Brady would get tackled. But others are avoidable.

That play, and the series of plays preceding that play, sum up the amazing, crazy, maddening and inexplicable career of Troy Nunes at Syracuse University.

He had no business playing at the D1 level - he was not big enough, not agile enough and did not have a major college arm. And yet, he did things that nobody else could seemingly do.

He became a hero of mine because of his grit, intelligence and ingenuity.

But, if Mike Vick had kept his commitment, all of us would be having a very different Syracuse University Football discussion right now.

Madei Williams played well that game too.

The rigid, inflexible QB rotation burned us big time that day.

The bounce pass is an underused and underappreciated play in college football. I hope Coach Martin teaches him that to truly take advantage you have to get the second bounce off the turf because it picks up speed due to the spin.

I was kind of looking forward to a behind the back pass but I suppose he didn't want to show future opponents all his tricks.

The PT TD pass vs. Pitt reminds me of the saying about the blind squirrel finding a nut once in a while.

In fairness, Nunes was a very lightly regarded recruit who was pressed into service because he was all we had.

He took such a beating from the fans, there there arose a pro-Nunes group in reaction who focused on the plays he ran successfully. ("Stop making fun of him, he's not as bad as you all are saying") And that he had a good-looking girlfriend.

Nunes eventually learned, although I'm sure his impulses told him to start running backwards as in the video clip many more times.

The question before us is whether TD can learn. Some of those sacks are unavoidable. The pocket collapses so quickly, Tom Brady would get tackled. But others are avoidable.
Does this mean we can get a “Tommy Devito is an Absolute Magician” Page after his 4 years? :)

My first SU home game was at Ol Archie in 1976.

We got hammered by Bowling Green.

Someone threw a pass in the second half — might have been Hurley, might have been someone else. — that bounced about a yard in front of WR Mike Jones, who probably ran about a 4.75 forty - and came up into his chest.

Ref called it a catch. Sympathy call.

Trying not to draw any parallels to present day. But getting tougher by the game.

My friends had student seats in the first row around the 30 yard line for Nunes first year as a starter. They were even with the dance team, and we were about 20 feet away. My recollection of that season is probably much better than the vast majority of this board...

Although I will never forget Nunes scrambling for about a 25 year loss against Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom