Welch’s bounce passes | Syracusefan.com

Welch’s bounce passes

Townie72

All American
Welch threw two bounce passes, one of which a receiver caught on “one hop”.

I get how that happens when you try to stop a throw at the last instant.

But these bounce passes brought to my mind the last Orange QB who had that weapon in his arsenal, the much maligned and sometimes over-praised Troy Nunes. He threw at least one of these in a bowl game, I recall.

Tommy Devito’s indecision and bad decisions Pale in comparison to Nunes, who was the master of making bad plays much worse. Nunes seemed to believe that when a play broke down he could avoid a loss by outrunning the tacklers. A couple of times that required running full speed away from the line of scrimmage and towards his own goal line.

I think this had worked for Nunes in high school. He was fast, But in college it didn’t because the defenders he was facing were as fast as he was, if not faster.

Now here’s a controversial statement: Devito reminds me of Nunes when he pulls the ball down and tries to dance and evade tacklers and out run them. What worked in New Jersey in high school, just isn’t going to work at this level. But it’s extraordinarily hard to forget what you learned over and over again at that lower level.

Tommy Devito’s indecision and bad decisions Pale in comparison to Nunes, who was the master of making bad plays much worse. Nunes seemed to believe that when a play broke down he could avoid a loss by outrunning the tacklers. A couple of times that required running full speed away from the line of scrimmage and towards his own goal line.
The quintessential Nunes play has to be that intentional grounding call against Michigan that resulted in a safety when the line of scrimmage was the - 40 or so.

Welch threw two bounce passes, one of which a receiver caught on “one hop”.

I get how that happens when you try to stop a throw at the last instant.

But these bounce passes brought to my mind the last Orange QB who had that weapon in his arsenal, the much maligned and sometimes over-praised Troy Nunes. He threw at least one of these in a bowl game, I recall.

I think this had worked for Nunes in high school. He was fast, But in college it didn’t because the defenders he was facing were as fast as he was, if not faster.

Now here’s a controversial statement: Devito reminds me of Nunes when he pulls the ball down and tries to dance and evade tacklers and out run them. What worked in New Jersey in high school, just isn’t going to work at this level. But it’s extraordinarily hard to forget what you learned over and over again at that lower level.

I suspect DeVito always had a competent, if not dominant OL, playing at Don Bosco.

I’ve also had a few Nunes flashbacks on one or two of Tommy’s 10-20 yard loss sacks.

My theory for his Nunesian scrambles is that he was never under the persistent level of pressure at any point in his HS career.

So rather than carrying over a tactic that worked in high school, he’s decided turning his back to the LOS and running backwards gives him the best chance of survival at the college level.

Admittedly, I didn’t follow his HS career so I don’t know if your theory or mine is more accurate.

The quintessential Nunes play has to be that intentional grounding call against Michigan that resulted in a safety when the line of scrimmage was the - 40 or so.

I laughed. I cried. I hurled.

Don’t think I’ve seen a QB take a safety for intentional grounding in the end zone with the LOS outside the 10 yard line since.

I remember the next year, he ran backwards forever against Pitt in OT, but somehow fired the game winning TD pass on that play.

The crowd was so exasperated/horrified with the way he kept running backwards, that the celebration of actually winning the game felt very subdued, lol.

I remember the next year, he ran backwards forever against Pitt in OT, but somehow fired the game winning TD pass on that play.

The crowd was so exasperated/horrified with the way he kept running backwards, that the celebration of actually winning the game felt very subdued, lol.

It reminded me of one of the best lines from Major League after Willie Mays Hayes showboats a basket catch.

Upon returning to the dugout, Lou Brown (best manager in MLB history RIP) says, “Nice catch Hayes. Don’t ever f&@$in do that again!”

I suspect DeVito always had a competent, if not dominant OL, playing at Don Bosco.

I’ve also had a few Nunes flashbacks on one or two of Tommy’s 10-20 yard loss sacks.

My theory for his Nunesian scrambles is that he was never under the persistent level of pressure at any point in his HS career.

So rather than carrying over a tactic that worked in high school, he’s decided turning his back to the LOS and running backwards gives him the best chance of survival at the college level.

Admittedly, I didn’t follow his HS career so I don’t know if your theory or mine is more accurate.

Nunes was far better at escaping though. He was frustrating because he just didn’t know when to stop. He’d escape and have a chance to get rid of it and then run himself back into trouble.

Nunes was far better at escaping though. He was frustrating because he just didn’t know when to stop. He’d escape and have a chance to get rid of it and then run himself back into trouble.

Troy’s problem was he didn’t have the arm strength to consistently throw 40 yard completions to convert 3rd & 6.

So while he was an absolute magician he had to run himself back into trouble to give his throws a chance.

Welch was not given any significant playing time previous to Friday night and was then thrown in down big to a strong rival on national tv, and did quite well. Mabe in people's rush to support TD, the could give this guy a little slack. Or even support.

Welch was not given any significant playing time previous to Friday night and was then thrown in down big to a strong rival on national tv, and did quite well. Mabe in people's rush to support TD, the could give this guy a little slack. Or even support.

Another “stir it up” attempt^^^^

Cats and dogs living together, I agree with you!

I've made this comp a couple times this season, he puts his head down and runs as fast as he can in an unproductive direction as all the defenders gain on him. It's totally Nunes-esque. (Though Devito certainly does some other things better than Nunes did.)

But Nunes, I seem to remember, got better and stopped making bad plays much worse.

I would have loved to have been in the film room the day after when the coaches explained to Troy that running at full tilt towards his own goal line was not what they wanted him to do.

Tommy's ability to learn and adapt is starting to worry me. He's stopped with the really ill-advised passes and obvious intentional groundings.

But on what I think was his last passing attempt, he pumped the ball, pulled it down and got buried. I said to myself, "Here's a very slow learner."

There are, I guess, some "instincts" that are very difficult to control that have been reinforced through hundreds of youth and high school games.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom