Welcome Cal, Stanford and SMU! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome Cal, Stanford and SMU!

Anyone who has been to s Syracuse-UConn football game would not be surprised by this.

There are a lot of good UConn fans. I know a bunch personally.

But there is a disturbingly number of ‘fans’ that to go to their games that are sick idiots.

I have seen them swear, throw beer cans and threaten to beat up Syracuse fans a number of times. This includes elderly Syracuse fans and children. Just inexcusably behavior.

West Virginia fans will never forgive UConn fans for blocking WVU buses holding the Mountaineer players and staff from leaving their stadium lot so they could throw stones, beer cans and anything else they could find to try and hurt them. They tried to flip their buses on their sides as well. There are bad fans everywhere, including at Syracuse but UConn fans even shocked WVU fans with their behavior, and that is really hard to do.

Pushing a defenseless mascot over a ledge to intentional hurt him is despicable. I hope those people were arrested and banned from ever going to another athletic event the rest of their lives.
From what I recall, the 500 UConn fans attending the last game in East Hartford did not pose much threat to the 5,000 SU fans.

I am bumping this with the SU-Stanford game coming up next weekend.

Stanford, Cal and SMU fans, what do you think about joining the ACC so far?

Thoughts on the level of competition, the ACC network, coverage of your teams, how it has affected your recruiting, etc?

If any of you have questions about visiting CNY, where to stay, what to do, where to eat, this board is a great resource for getting answers. We are a friendly bunch and rarely bite.

Thoughts on the level of competition, the ACC network, coverage of your teams, how it has affected your recruiting, etc?

If any of you have questions about visiting CNY, where to stay, what to do, where to eat, this board is a great resource for getting answers. We are a friendly bunch and rarely bite.
Cal has beaten an SEC team on the road. Cal is tops for now.

I was certainly surprised that Cal beat Auburn, but they did get five turnovers. Watched some of the game and a lot of bad passes by Auburn. Cal’s offense, as of now, is bad. For example, Cal was out gained by their FCS opponent in the first game! But won that because they got three turnovers. Despite playing an FCS opponent already, they are still 16th on offense in the ACC and have ZERO of the top 50 players in yards from scrimmage. And despite playing their FCS opponent already and getting five extra possessions against Auburn, they are 16th in first downs as well. It does not seem like they will have an offense to compete and will have to get lots of breaks to win games.

Even if I am wrong and they are better than I think, they have a huge problem before they play us. They have to fly to Florida State, then play Miami at home, then fly to Pittsburgh, then play NC State at home, then play an Oregon State team with a chip on their shoulder, then fly to Wake Forest, then play us. Georgia Tech was crying about being tired, because they went to Ireland. Cal is going to have a legitimate reason to be exhausted. It’s also not an intimidating atmosphere at all. I have this our second easiest game after Stanford of what is left in the ACC.

I was certainly surprised that Cal beat Auburn, but they did get five turnovers. Watched some of the game and a lot of bad passes by Auburn. Cal’s offense, as of now, is bad. For example, Cal was out gained by their FCS opponent in the first game! But won that because they got three turnovers. Despite playing an FCS opponent already, they are still 16th on offense in the ACC and have ZERO of the top 50 players in yards from scrimmage. And despite playing their FCS opponent already and getting five extra possessions against Auburn, they are 16th in first downs as well. It does not seem like they will have an offense to compete and will have to get lots of breaks to win games.

Even if I am wrong and they are better than I think, they have a huge problem before they play us. They have to fly to Florida State, then play Miami at home, then fly to Pittsburgh, then play NC State at home, then play an Oregon State team with a chip on their shoulder, then fly to Wake Forest, then play us. Georgia Tech was crying about being tired, because they went to Ireland. Cal is going to have a legitimate reason to be exhausted. It’s also not an intimidating atmosphere at all. I have this our second easiest game after Stanford of what is left in the ACC.
I wouldn’t sleep on Stanford. They’ll have 2 weeks to prep. And they could’ve beaten TCU.

I wouldn’t sleep on Stanford. They’ll have 2 weeks to prep. And they could’ve beaten TCU.
We also have 2 weeks to prep? At this point we shouldn’t sleep on anyone and I don’t expect Fran to allow that. I mean Fran doesn’t even like talking about the current opponent, it’s very day by day with him.

I wouldn’t sleep on them, nor anyone else. upsets happen all the time. But just ranking them from hardest to easiest, Stanford is a home game, not that good, and we have 2 weeks to prepare, and despite playing Cal poly, they are still last in the ACC in passing defense. TCU lit them up and Cal poly passed for 70%. So one of our seven remaining games has to be the easiest and I think this is it. McCord should have 400.

Wow, lot of travel. Wonder why. (maybe because a pacific coast team is playing in the atlantic coast conference)

Wow, lot of travel. Wonder why. (maybe because a pacific coast team is playing in the atlantic coast conference)
I genuinely feel bad for their kids and Stanford, (as well as Washington state and Oregon state). We only have to go west once a year, but they will have to come to the East Coast 3 or 4 times. But at least they are playing big games on national TV. What about their cross-country teams, field, hockey teams, etc. flying commercial? With the 20 game ACC schedule, basketball teams will likely have to make the trip five times, (plus the trips between the schools they play on the east coast between Saturday and Tuesday).

Last edited:
Why would a recruit sign up for that? Being a student athlete is hard enough without living part-time on a plane.
The athletic directors could care less if their teams flounder as long as the money rolls in.

I genuinely feel bad for their kids and Stanford, (as well as Washington state and Oregon state). We only have to go west once a year, but they will have to come to the East Coast 3 or 4 times. But at least they are playing big games on national TV. What about their cross-country teams, field, hockey teams, etc. flying commercial? With the 20 game ACC schedule, basketball teams will likely have to make the trip five times, (plus the trips between the schools they play on the east coast between Saturday and Tuesday).
It’s temporary. There will be more schools in their regional area in the future in the conference.

Since they get no TV rights Stanford and Cal can bolt at anytime to rejoin the Pac 12 right?

Boise, SDSU, Fresno, and Colorado St are linking up with Oregon St and Wazzou. Stanford and Cal brings them to 8. Doubt they'd have to add.

Play everyone once every year no matter what and have 5 OOC games the top team shouldn't have any issues getting a bid to the playoffs.

Since they get no TV rights Stanford and Cal can bolt at anytime to rejoin the Pac 12 right?

Boise, SDSU, Fresno, and Colorado St are linking up with Oregon St and Wazzou. Stanford and Cal brings them to 8. Doubt they'd have to add.

Play everyone once every year no matter what and have 5 OOC games the top team shouldn't have any issues getting a bid to the playoffs.
No. The new schools in the ACC had to sign the ACC GOR before they could join the conference.

They signed the GOR

But SMU is the school taking $0

This is wrong.

They signed the GOR and will receive a partial share of Tier 1 media revenue for the next nine years.

They can't walk away.

Why would a recruit sign up for that? Being a student athlete is hard enough without living part-time on a plane.
The athletic directors could care less if their teams flounder as long as the money rolls in.
It's ridiculous! I am as happy as anyone with our start and how we look but am disgusted with what college sports has become. This cannot be sustainable. I seriously hope it implodes for all and they stop making Athletic Directors and Chancellors out of television executives.

It’s not like the athletic directors, school, fan base, etc. had a lot of choice, (acc or mountain west). (but even if the money wasn’t a factor, the prestige would be. To be in a group with Boise, Fresno and UNLV etc. versus Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, etc would leave them one choice.) I think because of their academic reputation, they will still have smart kids that want to be there, but not like it was.

I have two uncles who are Stanford grads. And my mom and dad met at Cal. They are all bummed about this. Miss the Pac 12. And certainly miss playing all their traditional rivals.

Eastern football has never, ever been on their radar. They kinda follow the BIG 10 - because of the historic Rose Bowl relationship/rivalry.

It’s all a bummer.

With that said - I’m really looking forward to going to the Cal/Cuse game. Cal is such an amazing campus. And their stadium - is old school and really cool. Right in the middle of town/campus.

I have two uncles who are Stanford grads. And my mom and dad met at Cal. They are all bummed about this. Miss the Pac 12. And certainly miss playing all their traditional rivals.

Eastern football has never, ever been on their radar. They kinda follow the BIG 10 - because of the historic Rose Bowl relationship/rivalry.

It’s all a bummer.

With that said - I’m really looking forward to going to the Cal/Cuse game. Cal is such an amazing campus. And their stadium - is old school and really cool. Right in the middle of town/campus.
I would like to believe that somewhere Pappy Waldorf is smiling.

It’s all a bummer.

Living in the desert myself, I miss the Pac as well. Was always entertaining football

The Stanford board isn't super active. Makes sense considering they had about 1000 people at their last game.

Cal seems surprisingly into the ACC. There are some threads here where they like the media attention they're getting that they felt was lacking in the Pac. That East Coast bias is real apparently.

Football Growls Forum | Bear Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom