Welcome Cal, Stanford and SMU! | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome Cal, Stanford and SMU!

The Stanford board isn't super active. Makes sense considering they had about 1000 people at their last game.

Cal seems surprisingly into the ACC. There are some threads here where they like the media attention they're getting that they felt was lacking in the Pac. That East Coast bias is real apparently.

Football Growls Forum | Bear Insider
Just wait until they learn about Southern bias.

They had Pac 12 refs for years. Their officiating was worse than the ACC's.

Pac-12 commissioner: 'We made a mistake' in third-party officiating controversy
This illustrates why "reviews" fail . . .because someone from a conference "business" department intervenes. I wish the ACC commissioner's office had the fortitude to investigate our league's review procedures. The (failed) targeting call against MJ (in the Ohio game) was much worse than the low-speed one in this link. We need to know why that review process fell apart and who's responsible. Textbook targeting.

Last edited:
I guess if you have to travel almost 3000 miles, going to Stanford is not a bad place to have to go. East Palo Alto is a different story. It will be SU (the original) vs the other SU.
I used to travel out to the IBM Research Palo Alto lab on the mountain all the time and stay at the Fairmont. Those were the days. Has Palo Alto gone downhill?

They had Pac 12 refs for years. Their officiating was worse than the ACC's.

Pac-12 commissioner: 'We made a mistake' in third-party officiating controversy
UVa lost a chance to beat USC-w in LA because the Pac-12 refs (the crew of the one in the aviator glasses) didn't know the rules. You are not allowed to dive block at the line of scrimmage on a punt, but we ran a fake punt and you are allowed to do it on a fake punt. We made the distance for the 1st down, but the refs threw the flag for a 15-yard penalty for the "illegal block". They even refused to look at the rule book Mike London kept in his pocket specifically for that situation.

We lost 17-14. Of course there's no guarantee we would have tied or won the game if we got the call, but the Pac-12 suspended the entire crew for a week.

UVa lost a chance to beat USC-w in LA because the Pac-12 refs (the crew of the one in the aviator glasses) didn't know the rules. You are not allowed to dive block at the line of scrimmage on a punt, but we ran a fake punt and you are allowed to do it on a fake punt. We made the distance for the 1st down, but the refs threw the flag for a 15-yard penalty for the "illegal block". They even refused to look at the rule book Mike London kept in his pocket specifically for that situation.

We lost 17-14. Of course there's no guarantee we would have tied or won the game if we got the call, but the Pac-12 suspended the entire crew for a week.
That's one of those calls that stays with you forever.

The Stanford board isn't super active. Makes sense considering they had about 1000 people at their last game.

Cal seems surprisingly into the ACC. There are some threads here where they like the media attention they're getting that they felt was lacking in the Pac. That East Coast bias is real apparently.

Football Growls Forum | Bear Insider
I have a good friend who's an Oregon fan and they're psyched to be in the Big Ten entirely because of the media attention and the corresponding support from the conference. Said the Pac-12 was lousy at promoting anything.

I have a good friend who's an Oregon fan and they're psyched to be in the Big Ten entirely because of the media attention and the corresponding support from the conference. Said the Pac-12 was lousy at promoting anything.
Considering how bad Oregon has looked, that extra attention might not be great. Though they're probably getting that B1G poll boost because there's no way they're a top 15 team the way they've been playing.

Cal has potential. And if I'm not mistaken, has a huge alumni base on the east coast. Lot of their students come from northeast or the ones that grow up on the west coast, often relocate to NYC etc. I can see why they'd like it. I mean, when all your games are on late at night, you lose out on a chance to generate much sports momentum with east coast alums.

Cal has potential. And if I'm not mistaken, has a huge alumni base on the east coast. Lot of their students come from northeast or the ones that grow up on the west coast, often relocate to NYC etc. I can see why they'd like it. I mean, when all your games are on late at night, you lose out on a chance to generate much sports momentum with east coast alums.
I think Cal and Stanford are great additions. It's funny seeing speculation that they'd want to join the new Pac 12. Those schools didn't want to join the Big 12, there's no way they'd be in a conference with Boise State and Fresno. Defore they were added the ACC was the best or 2nd best for non revenue sports. Now the ACC is head and shoulders the best all around conference for football, basketball, non revenue sports and academics.

I think Cal and Stanford are great additions. It's funny seeing speculation that they'd want to join the new Pac 12. Those schools didn't want to join the Big 12, there's no way they'd be in a conference with Boise State and Fresno. Defore they were added the ACC was the best or 2nd best for non revenue sports. Now the ACC is head and shoulders the best all around conference for football, basketball, non revenue sports and academics.
The travel probably sucks and they could be big fish in a small sea.

Sadly we can’t one and done them bc it would mess things up with FSU and Clemson who will blame all their failures on the ACC.

Stanford Cal and the Nevada schools would round out that conference pretty well IMO.

The travel probably sucks and they could be big fish in a small sea.

Sadly we can’t one and done them bc it would mess things up with FSU and Clemson who will blame all their failures on the ACC.

Stanford Cal and the Nevada schools would round out that conference pretty well IMO.
Stanford and Cal have less than zero interest in that conference. They didn't want to be in the Big 12 because those schools weren't good enough for them.

Has the addition of Rice to the ACC ever been discussed? While not too great in football, I like the idea of creating a P4 academic super conference and the idea of SU being in it. They create a buddy for SMU and further open up Texas. Sure it’s been eons, but they have some history too. Just curious. There are a million reasons not to add them, but some interesting reasons to consider them. I guess you might look at Tulane or some other similar school first. Don’t know.

Has the addition of Rice to the ACC ever been discussed? While not too great in football, I like the idea of creating a P4 academic super conference and the idea of SU being in it. They create a buddy for SMU and further open up Texas. Sure it’s been eons, but they have some history too. Just curious. There are a million reasons not to add them, but some interesting reasons to consider them. I guess you might look at Tulane or some other similar school first. Don’t know.
Rice brings nothing to the ACC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom