Welcome Cal, Stanford and SMU! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome Cal, Stanford and SMU!

Yea, of all the realignment scenarios to be worried about, Pitt to the B1G doesn’t keep me up at night.

Their next door neighbors in both PA and Ohio want no part of that and they have pretty big voices in that conference.

Btw SMU 2023 recruiting was ranked 41 by 247 and their transfer class at 13. Which obviously is somewhat subjective and still has to translate to on field success…but that’s a relatively high transfer rating and you have more known commodities, coming from schools like Texas, A&M, ND, Miami etc. and all the while selling on playing in the AAC.

They had far and away had the best transfer class in G5 and now can probably expect the momentum to carry over after the ACC move.

I can see them being a problem for the rest of the league in a very short time…which we all should be routing cuz it raises the quality and outlook of our league.
Just not against us.. they can still eat dirt!

Btw SMU 2023 recruiting was ranked 41 by 247 and their transfer class at 13. Which obviously is somewhat subjective and still has to translate to on field success…but that’s a relatively high transfer rating and you have more known commodities, coming from schools like Texas, A&M, ND, Miami etc. and all the while selling on playing in the AAC.

They had far and away had the best transfer class in G5 and now can probably expect the momentum to carry over after the ACC move.

I can see them being a problem for the rest of the league in a very short time…which we all should be routing cuz it raises the quality and outlook of our league.

Bowl team 5 out the last 6 seasons, in the AAC of course but still.

The SMU boosters have promised to make up the difference. They will do that without raising a sweat. One just gave $50M for a building in one end zone of their stadium.

The money they’ll end up with from the conference is still more than the AAC can give them, not to mention the ticket sales boost they’re going to get across the board.

Who's left?
The only potential fits I see are:
Army
UCONN
Tulane

The addition of the new 3 insulates the ACC from any 3 defectors insofar as the ESPN contract is concerned. However, it might be wise to grab a few good schools while they are available.

Personally, I would love to see Army with its tradition, UCONN with BB and Tulane to help out with SMU.

I just want to see the ACC survive and thrive.

Who's left?
Army
UCONN
Tulane

The addition of the new 3 insulates the ACC from any 3 defectors insofar as the ESPN contract is concerned. However, it might be wise to grab a few good schools while they are available.

Personally, I would love to see Army with its tradition, UCONN with BB and Tulane to help out with SMU.

I think we wait and continue to work some of the Big12 schools over the next several years. Tulane, Army, UConn, etc. will be there later if we want. We added two P5 schools with excellent academics and SMU with a ton of potential. This was move #1 and sets up move #2.

I would look to get some combination of Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Cinn, WVU, Houston, Kansas, Baylor, TCU and some others before Tulane, etc.. Have to ask Vanderbilt and Northwestern but they are real long shots.

Pecking order is SEC/B1G >> ACC >> Big12 >>>>>>> G5

Last edited:
Who's left?
Army
UCONN
Tulane

The AAC wants to pair Army with Navy.

I'm excited to be in the power conference with the best academic institutions. Face it: we're probably the second best academic conference overall behind the Ivy League. With Stanford and Berkeley, we now have 10 in the top 50 and 3 hovering just behind (Pitt, Va Tech and Syracuse).
Outside of Northwestern and Vanderbilt the SEC and Big Two Hundred and Twenty-Two can't compare. I follow every Syracuse sport and I'm excited the Orange will play Stanford and Cal in the Olympic Sports— and Women's sports especially.
Source: US News & World Report

SMU not getting TV money for 9 years was shocking to see
This is ACC just surviving in the new landscape of conferences
Nice to see the 12 teams stand up to UNC, Clemson, and FSU
2,821.6 from Cuse to Stanford
I guess if you have to travel almost 3000 miles, going to Stanford is not a bad place to have to go. East Palo Alto is a different story. It will be SU (the original) vs the other SU.

Who's left?
Army
UCONN
Tulane

Just merge ACC, Big12, MWC, and AAC

The PAC 10
Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, Stanford, Cal
Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Utah, Colorado

The Great Plains
Baylor, Houston, SMU, Texas Tech, TCU
Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Tulsa

ACC
Miami, FSU, UCF, Clemson, GaTech
NC State, Wake, UNC, Duke, East Carolina

TBD Conference name
Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Tulane, WVU
VaTech, Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, BC

Keeps everyone regional and with some old and traditional rivals

And again, I know it will never happen

The SMU boosters have promised to make up the difference. They will do that without raising a sweat. One just gave $50M for a building in one end zone of their stadium.
Just drove by the construction at the stadium yesterday. Wasn’t sure what they were building as I didn’t pay much attention prior to yesterday morning’s news. Excited by the add to the ACC.

Who's left?
Army
UCONN
Tulane

Need to take from Big 12: WVU and Cincy.

I like that but WVU academics has always been an issue.
We have lots of history with WVU so personally, I want them with us but I doubt they get accepted into the ACC as you said. We need to add to the new Texas and California base now too.

I like that but WVU academics has always been an issue.
What can be worse then 20 years of fake classes. I'm tired of hearing that excuse, fraudulent classes at North Carolina is the worst academics since Georgia graduating illiterate players.

It's easy to see them as duplicating TCU's success after moving from the Mountain West to Big XII. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they are regularly in the the discussion about who's making the conference championship game.

If Pitt can get into the Big 10, we need to get into the Big 10. I hope I'm wrong but I think the fate of SU athletics could hinge on that invite
i agree with your absolutely right.

Who's left?
Army
UCONN
Tulane

I wouldn’t expect much until we get closer to the Big 12’s GOR expiring. And I think if there are adds before that it’s going to be football / market driven first. Army and UCONN don’t really bring that to the table.

It’s going to be teams that expand the Midwest / West footprint and are cultural fits. Baylor / Kansas / Arizona / TCU / Utah / ASU / Houston and then WVU / Cincy I see as prime targets.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t expect much until we get closer to the Big 12’s GOR expiring. And I think if there are adds before that it’s going to be football / market driven first. Army and UCONN don’t really bring that to the table.

It’s going to be teams that expand the Midwest / West footprint and are cultural fits. Baylor / Kansas / Arizona / TCU / Utah / ASU / Houston and then WVU / Cincy I see as prime targets.
Houston is called Cougar High by locals. They will never be in the ACC. They could compete in the SEC but that won't happen either.

Cougars could be in Big 12 forever (whatever that is in CFB).

What can be worse then 20 years of fake classes. I'm tired of hearing that excuse, fraudulent classes at North Carolina is the worst academics since Georgia graduating illiterate players.
Exactly. I don’t ever want to hear about UNC academic standards ever again.

SMU should be able to build a team via the portal very quickly based upon NIL. They are heavily motivated and have the $$ to back it up extremely well. $$ doesn’t guarantee success but it helps the odds of success.
The pony express was built on what would be now called NIL. SMU is a sleeping giant