Welcome to CFB 150: Here's what makes college football great | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to CFB 150: Here's what makes college football great

That 1973 game between Alabama (Bear Bryant) and Notre Dame (Ara Parseghian) was a game I watched riveted to the TV as a teenager. An all-time great game. I did not realize that ND had refused to play in bowl games for 44 years.

Totally missed mentioning Jim Brown or Ernie Davis

I remember the ‘87 Fiesta Bowl well...the Hurricanes coming off the plane in camo, walking out on the dinner the teams had before the game...they were the villains and loved it. Penn State with the white helmets were like old western cowboys in white hats. Jerry Sandusky devised a great defense where linemen and linebackers would drop into pass coverage, which totally confused Testaverde. They got an interception with seconds left right at the goal line to seal the game - and I knew the good guys had vanquished the bad guys.

That game more than any other has taught me not to look for heroes in sports. And really, in life. It just not like a old western where you can tell the heroes by the color of their hat (or helmet). We’re all fallen.

Totally missed mentioning Jim Brown or Ernie Davis
Wait...there was no mention of Davis or Brown?
A. It was a 2-minute trailer and not the whole series of documentaries.

and

B. I believe they showed Davis receiving the Heisman at the :43 mark.

A. It was a 2-minute trailer and not the whole series of documentaries.

and

B. I believe they showed Davis receiving the Heisman at the :43 mark.
I was just referring to the article...didn't watch the video.

I remember the ‘87 Fiesta Bowl well...the Hurricanes coming off the plane in camo, walking out on the dinner the teams had before the game...they were the villains and loved it. Penn State with the white helmets were like old western cowboys in white hats. Jerry Sandusky devised a great defense where linemen and linebackers would drop into pass coverage, which totally confused Testaverde. They got an interception with seconds left right at the goal line to seal the game - and I knew the good guys had vanquished the bad guys.

That game more than any other has taught me not to look for heroes in sports. And really, in life. It just not like a old western where you can tell the heroes by the color of their hat (or helmet). We’re all fallen.
Ain’t this the truth ... and it’s not just sports.

I remember hearing stories that people in New Orleans confused Testaverde and Rony Seikaly during the Final Four that year. I think Testaverde showed up for the FF. Anyone else remember that?