Well...that makes me feel better | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Well...that makes me feel better

iommi said:
He can play running back but they were running him up the gut like a power back. :crazy: It's a poor use of talent. If we did it last year, the torches would be out. Hopefully, they adjust.

That's what this offense does with its running game. It's a power look straight up the gut. They won the MAC title game on that play.

Have patience.

iommi said:
Fine. Fredericks for that. Strickland for outside runs.

You don't give up on the guy after one game. He was really good in the scrimmages.

Saw Cal play Hawaii last week; man, they have a back named Muhammad that would be unreal in this offense...

That's what this offense does with its running game. It's a power look straight up the gut. They won the MAC title game on that play.

Have patience.

I watched Bowling Green play five times last year. I have no issues with using the running back that way. I do have issue putting Strickland in that role but hopefully it'll work eventually.

iommi said:
Sorry, I forgot we can never question anything. I'll put on my kid gloves.

Nah, but it was 9 carries in the first game of a radically new offensive system. At least give it another 9 carries. ;)

Sorry, I forgot we can never question anything. I'll put on my kid gloves.

I'm just saying I think he knows how this offense should run and if not up to par he will adjust. Also there was supposed to be a smiley face at the end of my comment that didn't appear.

Good teams will press the short throws but when we go 4-5 wide, bubble screens become the running game if we can't get anything between the tackles. Someone will have to make a run up the seam though, don't see any tight end doing that so not sure who takes that route to punish teams for pressing up on the short throws if our WRs are being stood up at the line and/or Dungey isn't given much time in the pocket.
Maybe situationally they could use Custis a TE to run the seam.

Deuce Cuatro Siete has him as an 80% lean, for whatever that is worth.

We really need to stop with the censorship of other site names.

LOL, I spent about two seconds trying to figure out why you typed it in Spanish before I realized it. Why can't we mention other site names? I don't get it.

I'm just saying I think he knows how this offense should run and if not up to par he will adjust. Also there was supposed to be a smiley face at the end of my comment that didn't appear.

Love Babers. Love the offense. I think Strick can be as good and productive as Erv if used right. Fingers are crossed.

Maybe situationally they could use Custis a TE to run the seam.
Hmm.
image.jpeg

iommi said:
Again, I love Strickland.

I hear you. I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying give it time. Babers mentioned in his press conf that Colgate was bent on not giving up rushing yards and he wasn't worried at all. Some team will want to stop the pass at all costs and the RBs will EAT.

I liked the pace of game, receivers did nice job catching the ball(The grad transfer from Maryland showed great hands), quickness both on offense and at linebacker...Cordy really hits hard, liked our dline stout at point of attack...need more work on pass rush...did we even complete a pass using middle of the field?...I think Strickland becomes a beast when our oline decides to push the dline back...horrible run blocking by oline today...To borrow a Stuart Scott line...Dino was as cool as the other side of the pillow...a calm presence on the sideline except for the flag on Ishmael...You see why a bit Dino says it takes some time...Oh and Dungy running was not a great site...if he runs like that against Clemson or Florida St, they are going to nail him...great first step overall for Babers and team tonight...

I hear you. I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying give it time. Babers mentioned in his press conf that Colgate was bent on not giving up rushing yards and he wasn't worried at all. Some team will want to stop the pass at all costs and the RBs will EAT.
Right, they had at least 7 in the box the whole game... they were stacked against the run. Anyone else notice Ruff in the backfield as a lead blocker?

However...
1) Dungey is still scrambling around WAAAAY too much
2) O-Line needs work
3) Gotta punch it in when we are in the redzone. TD's not Field Goals...

The thing I really liked was how well they executed. So few penalties, delays of game, personal fouls, holding - I remember almost none of those.
This was a quality opponent, and they actually did what they were expected to do. How often have we been able to say that these past few years?
Yes, we have to be able to run inside. I actually think they would do better to spread out the line spacing to create better angles and more open running lanes.
The defense was better than I expected.
Dungey was impeccable for 3 quarters. Glad that Zach got some time and made a few plays. The Maryland kid was excellent. Lots of weapons on offense. Defense still can tackle better, but made pretty good progress and pitched a shutout after that first drive.

So much to like. A competent coaching staff seems apparent. Lots to be excited about for the future.

I think he also didn't like Dungey's instinct to scramble. He wants him going through his progressions longer. That's my guess.

What Dungey has, though, is something Nunes never really had, and that is great touch on his throws. He doesn't quite have McNabb kind of touch, but he's off to a great start. If he stays healthy, he is going to destroy all our records this year. Let alone what he does in the next couple years in this offense.

The thing I really liked was how well they executed. So few penalties, delays of game, personal fouls, holding - I remember almost none of those.
This was a quality opponent, and they actually did what they were expected to do. How often have we been able to say that these past few years?
Yes, we have to be able to run inside. I actually think they would do better to spread out the line spacing to create better angles and more open running lanes.
The defense was better than I expected.
Dungey was impeccable for 3 quarters. Glad that Zach got some time and made a few plays. The Maryland kid was excellent. Lots of weapons on offense. Defense still can tackle better, but made pretty good progress and pitched a shutout after that first drive.

So much to like. A competent coaching staff seems apparent. Lots to be excited about for the future.
I think we will see a lot less penalties because of how well conditioned we are. A lot of times, those penalties are purely fatigue. That should be our opponents from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom