Went and saw James Washington play tonight | Syracusefan.com

Went and saw James Washington play tonight

swish7

All Conference
Game Video - James is #90. He does not show well in these highlights, but I promise he was quite involved in the game.
~~~~
This might be the worst moment to post this b/c it will get buried in all the USC drama, but here goes.

Washington would appear to be a nice pickup for the Orange. I watched his game vs Boone tonight, a 28-21 loss.

He plays right side defensive end and tight end for Winter Park. This was my position as well. Nice to see someone with some actual talent play it.

I'm not really into guys, or slobbering over HS kids, but he was a pretty well built kid. His arms are slimmish compared to his quads. His quads are large, kinda like Earl Campbell, or a young Freeney with smaller calfs and "skinny" arms. Definitely got what it takes to get the type of push you want for a defensive player.

At a glance, he doesn't stand out, but when he plays he certainly does. He seemed to be of average height, 6'1, 6'2 or so. He was very fundamentally sound at defensive end. He maintained containment on every play, and even dropped back to cover a swing pass. Textbook. He did not appear to be a pass rushing force, although this seemed more by strategy than for a lack of skill. The one time he rushed he looked quite quick. He also ran down a QB sweep from the opposite side of the field

Marvin Bracy of Boone broke one 80+ yard run on the Winter Park defense. I could not tell if Washington was part of the problem on that play.

He is a high energy type of player. His name was called over and over. He caused at least one fumble, and was in on about 8 tackles. He was eager to jump in on gang tackles and would attempt to rowdy up the fans when taking a rest. He would appear to be a very positive addition to team chemistry, and maybe even a fun one to watch for the fans.

On offense, Boone ran away from him 70% of the time, so it was hard to judge his individual talents. But that alone is a testament to how much he is respected.

He caught one pass as a tight end. Perfect route running and very soft hands. He did not appear to have great YAC instincts. He turtled up after the catch and kinda got smeared. He probably could have bowled ahead for 3-4 more yards.

Florida HS football is pretty sick. There were definitely 4-5 DI caliber athletes on display today. Bracy, Washington, James Veguila, D'vario Montgomery. Good times.

Awesome, Swish--thanks for the summary report!

Thanks Swish.

Love first-hand reports like this. Thanks, Swish.

Syracuse%20Univ%20Fanatic.jpg

Were you resplendently outfitted in Orange attire? While you can't talk to these kids, it doesn't hurt to have them notice a Syracuse presence. Shaking a cowbell right behind their bench when there is dead silence is one way to grab their attention or yelling "Let's Go Orange" when they make a big play.;)

Thanks for the up close and personnel report Swish!

This might be the worst moment to post this b/c it will get buried in all the USC drama, but here goes.

Washington would appear to be a nice pickup for the Orange. I watched his game vs Boone tonight, a 28-21 loss.

He plays right side defensive end and tight end for Winter Park. This was my position as well. Nice to see someone with some actual talent play it.

I'm not really into guys, or slobbering over HS kids, but he was a pretty well built kid. His arms are slimmish compared to his quads. His quads are large, kinda like Earl Campbell, or a young Freeney with smaller calfs and "skinny" arms. Definitely got what it takes to get the type of push you want for a defensive player.

At a glance, he doesn't stand out, but when he plays he certainly does. He seemed to be of average height, 6'1, 6'2 or so. He was very fundamentally sound at defensive end. He maintained containment on every play, and even dropped back to cover a swing pass. Textbook. He did not appear to be a pass rushing force, although this seemed more by strategy than for a lack of skill. The one time he rushed he looked quite quick. He also ran down a QB sweep from the opposite side of the field

Marvin Bracy of Boone broke one 80+ yard run on the Winter Park defense. I could not tell if Washington was part of the problem on that play.

He is a high energy type of player. His name was called over and over. He caused at least one fumble, and was in on about 8 tackles. He was eager to jump in on gang tackles and would attempt to rowdy up the fans when taking a rest. He would appear to be a very positive addition to team chemistry, and maybe even a fun one to watch for the fans.

On offense, Boone ran away from him 70% of the time, so it was hard to judge his individual talents. But that alone is a testament to how much he is respected.

He caught one pass as a tight end. Perfect route running and very soft hands. He did not appear to have great YAC instincts. He turtled up after the catch and kinda got smeared. He probably could have bowled ahead for 3-4 more yards.

Florida HS football is pretty sick. There were definitely 4-5 DI caliber athletes on display today. Bracy, Washington, James Veguila, D'vario Montgomery. Good times.

FYI - James Washington is taking an official visit this weekend down to FIU. FIU is playing UCF this weekend. While it's only FIU me thinks Washington is going to be a long battle to keep in the fold. I think the positive is the kid had a bunch of offers when he committed to Syracuse so it's not like we were his only option at the time.

LOL.

I wore my 2008 syracuse lacrosse shirt and my black 1996 final four cap. I could not find my bright orange shirt and cap in time.

I would have spoken with anyone had they said "hey! syracuse!". But nobody did. I had forgotten who Marvin Bracy was. Wow, what a talent.

When I lived in Colorado, I went to a USA Jr basketball tryout in CO springs. It was essentially the players, guys like Dave Telep, a Kansas fan and myself. Very intimate. Gorman had a terrible time and was sitting alone about 10 - 15 feet away from me. The thought of saying something to him creeped me out. Even if it was just to say "looking forward to seeing you at Syracuse", I don't know, it felt weird. I might have felt that way because he had gotten so overmatched. Maybe I should read up on my "how to make friends and influence people".
o
Syracuse%20Univ%20Fanatic.jpg

Were you resplendently outfitted in Orange attire? While you can't talk to these kids, it doesn't hurt to have them notice a Syracuse presence. Shaking a cowbell right behind their bench when there is dead silence is one way to grab their attention or yelling "Let's Go Orange" when they make a big play.;)

Thanks for the up close and personnel report Swish!

thanks for sharing your experience and insight and for the way you expressed it all!

Bravo-6.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom