Wes Johnson with a big night! | Syracusefan.com

Wes Johnson with a big night!

This is going to be very unpopular on this board:

I love Wes and will always appreciate what he did for us. My goodness though, he must be the least productive starter in the NBA. Why the Wolves will implement a three guard lineup while bringing Derrick Williams off the bench will never be something I understand.

I'm guessing it is their coach -- but I've never seen a team have a player just hang out on the perimeter as much as Minnesota has Wes sit there on offense. I don't think it's him being lazy, I think he's been a starter the entire season, I think it's the offense his team is running.

It amazes me that people here don't realize that Wes went from playing the 4 at Iowa St. to playing the 3 here going to the 4 when kris Jo came into the game, to playing the 2 for the first time in his life in the NBA! He is in his second year in a lockout shorten season, let's hope he can make the transition to a 2 guard, but nobody should be shocked if he can't.

and Minnesota the 8th seed from western conference in the playoffs as of tonight

been to a few games this year. the crowds have generally been great/near sellouts and the team has a very good young nucleus. kevin love is a monster. if rubio develops a jumper, he's an all-star. that being said, wes probably is the least effective starter in the nba, but i still love him.

It amazes me that people here don't realize that Wes went from playing the 4 at Iowa St. to playing the 3 here going to the 4 when kris Jo came into the game, to playing the 2 for the first time in his life in the NBA! He is in his second year in a lockout shorten season, let's hope he can make the transition to a 2 guard, but nobody should be shocked if he can't.

I understand what you are saying about Wes. He is being asked to play a different role in the NBA than he played in college, but a year and a half into his career he has been regressing rather than progressing. He's a 25 or 26 year-old shooting guard that can't can't shoot at this level and can't handle the ball in the NBA. How much longer do you think a coach is going to wait for him to develop (especially with Derrick Williams steadily developing on the bench)? Kevin Love isn't on every team to make up for Wes' lack of rebounding ability at the 3 and Wes isn't a 20 year-old developing player with a lot of skill who hasn't adjusted to the NBA game yet that we're talking about here. This is a player who should be entering into his prime. I am worried he is not going to get many chances after his contract is up.

This doesn't mean that he's not one of my favorite players of all-time for what he did for the 'Cuse. I'll never forget how fun that 2010 season was, but eventually the Orange-tinted glasses have to come off. He's struggling mightily, and unless he can become a much better defender and mold himself into a niche player, he'll probably go down as one of this decade's biggest lotto busts.

I spent a little too much time watching Fox Sports North this winter... (but it was worth it -- Kevin Love is a BEAST)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom