Western Michigan will pay Syracuse football $300,000 to open season on road | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan will pay Syracuse football $300,000 to open season on road

WMU this season is probably closer to CMU. I am still not saying that this is a cupcake (we easily could have lost to CMU last year if we hadn’t gone on a tear in the third quarter). However, I think MTSU with the coaches son at QB was a more complete team than WMU is this year.
In Dungey I trust. However, last year WMU lost at USC, at Mich St, and a 1 point loss at Akron. Their QB got knocked out for the last 4 games of which they lost 3 and 2 of those were at NoIll and Toledo. That QB is back this year.

In Dungey I trust. However, last year WMU lost at USC, at Mich St, and a 1 point loss at Akron. Their QB got knocked out for the last 4 games of which they lost 3 and 2 of those were at NoIll and Toledo. That QB is back this year.

Yeah, but their QB wasn’t what kept them in those games. They had two cornerbacks that were drafted this year and their RB was particularly good IIRC. I’m pretty sure they didn’t score an offensive TD against MSU.

Regardless, I’m not thrilled about opening the season on the road against a team like WMU.

They're no pushover we know that...but this isn't last year. MTSU was Baber's first and only bad loss and the play that day from the players was just awful. It certainly isn't a trend..

WMU lost a lot including 5 of their 7 top tacklers (I believe) as well as an All American Tackle. They're also breaking in a NEW Offensive Coordinator in Jake Morehead. Their OC left in January for TT I think.

30K Stadium is not very intimidating.

It's 60/40 Syracuse and we're 7 point road favorites.

Last edited:
Top tier, you get my drift. How many elite teams would you name in the P5? Probably more out of 65 which is less teams. This is the same outlook before MTSU last year and what a shock that was for all the Orange google wearing folks.
Elite, to me, is a special word reserved for the best of the best. That means the top 3 or 4 teams in any given year and only one or two some years. 5 star recruits are elite. What is that, the top 1%?
But, I get the point you're trying to make about opponent quality.

I'd love to know how much Liberty is paying Cuse in 2019.

They paid ODU $1.32 million for their 2018 opener. Have to think a similar check will be cut for Syracuse especially since that will be the highest profile opponent to go to Liberty that season.

During a discussion last week I think, I posted PPG for each coach/QB combo for the past 10 years. Somebody else decided to make those numbers more meaningful(or less for me, depending which side you were trying to prove). We kick ass with Dungey and are ass without him. Also why did you cherry pick the WMU schedule?It's not like they played USC/MST close. Losing to Akron is losing to Akron, 1 point or 20 points. I noticed though that you didn't mention the losses to Toledo, N. Illinois, or CMU. It took them 7 OTs to beat Buffalo. So where is the huge concern coming from again?

They're no pushover we know that...but this isn't last year. MSTU was Baber's first and only really bad loss and the play that day from the players was just aweful. It certainly isn't a trend though.

But WMU lost a lot including 5 of their 7 top tacklers (I believe) as well as an All American Tackle. They're also breaking in a NEW Offensive Coordinator in Jake Morehead. Their OC left in January for TT I think.

our avg attendance last year was 33931

our avg attendance last year was 33931

what's your point?

West3.jpg

During a discussion last week I think, I posted PPG for each coach/QB combo for the past 10 years. Somebody else decided to make those numbers more meaningful(or less for me, depending which side you were trying to prove). We kick ass with Dungey and are ass without him. Also why did you cherry pick the WMU schedule?It's not like they played USC/MST close. Losing to Akron is losing to Akron, 1 point or 20 points. I noticed though that you didn't mention the losses to Toledo, N. Illinois, or CMU. It took them 7 OTs to beat Buffalo. So where is the huge concern coming from again?
We got the conference schedule and Notre Dame OOC. I don't think they need another team that can even remotely have a chance to beat them. UConn...fine, Wagner... obviously, WMU, I got the oogi's mommy.

if we play another C-/D+ type game on both sides of the ball we will struggle. maybe we dont drop a punt or fail to run on a INT this time and lose to a team like MTSU.

How much does it cost SU to travel to a game? Does this just pay for the expenses to go or is there a surplus after the 300K and they can stop at Wendys on the way home?

I want us to get to a level where nobody is paying us to go play them.

They're no pushover we know that...but this isn't last year. MTSU was Baber's first and only bad loss and the play that day from the players was just awful. It certainly isn't a trend..

WMU lost a lot including 5 of their 7 top tacklers (I believe) as well as an All American Tackle. They're also breaking in a NEW Offensive Coordinator in Jake Morehead. Their OC left in January for TT I think.

Sounds about right, I certainly wouldn't be shocked at all if we do lose and many will be running around like it's one of the worst losses ever, it would be far from it. Game we should win, but it's season opener on the road versus a highly motivated opponent.

Season opener, I expect a high scoring affair and a very close game.

Sounds about right, I certainly wouldn't be shocked at all if we do lose and many will be running around like it's one of the worst losses ever, it would be far from it. Game we should win, but it's season opener on the road versus a highly motivated opponent.

Season opener, I expect a high scoring affair and a very close game.
It will be a Friday night game against Dino who they remember well in the MAC and Syracuse who everybody gets up to play and coached by Timmy Lester who coached at SU and will probably be a record crowd. I think it's going to be an exciting game. I think the Orange have a talent advantage, but it isn't overwhelming, other the ED.

I think the Orange have a talent advantage, but it isn't overwhelming, other the ED.

I still don’t think this is a guaranteed win against a cupcake. However, if we lose, it’s not because WMU is even close to as talented. The best parts of their Sugar Bowl team are gone.

I still don’t think this is a guaranteed win against a cupcake. However, if we lose, it’s not because WMU is even close to as talented. The best parts of their Sugar Bowl team are gone.
I think PJ recruited pretty strong for a few years there. The Orange need this W. They need to go in there thinking they could lose, or else they might lose. Every coach tells his team these things yet it's amazing that many times the team just doesn't take it to heart and they end up losing.

I think PJ recruited pretty strong for a few years there. The Orange need this W. They need to go in there thinking they could lose, or else they might lose. Every coach tells his team these things yet it's amazing that many times the team just doesn't take it to heart and they end up losing.

You’re certainly right. Still, PJ hasn’t been there for a couple of years and a lot of their NFL talent either graduated or left early including both of their NFL caliber corners.

I'm slowly beginning to think that you're trolling me because I feel like I was pretty clear. Honestly, it seems like you're deliberately misunderstanding my point so you can defend WMU's honor or whatever. This time, I'm going to try using caps locks. *Breathes in* I NEVER SAID THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN! I NEVER SAID THAT THEY WERE BAD! I NEVER SAID THAT I EXPECT THIS TO BE AN EASY GAME! I NEVER SAID THAT THEY WERE A CUPCAKE! THEY ARE A FINE MAC TEAM, AND THERE IS HONOR IN BEING A FINE MAC TEAM!

TIM LESTER IS THEIR GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE HIM AN AMAZING COACH! IN FACT, HE TOOK A SUGAR BOWL TEAM AND WENT 6-6 WITH IT. THAT STILL DOESN'T MEAN THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN BECAUSE WMU IS A REAL FOOTBALL TEAM AND WE ARE PLAYING THEM ON THE ROAD AS OUR FIRST GAME. MY POINT IS SIMPLY THAT 2018 WMU IS NOT 2016 WMU.

Well, if you're not going to say it I will. SU will beat WMU if they play their game. If they don't I will be pissed, and wonder what's going on up on the hill. WMU finished 6-6 last year with home losses to Akron and Central Michigan. Yes, those are two solid MAC teams. That's exactly what WMU is. A solid MAC team. We should beat them 95% of the time. I don't care what they were in 2016 with PJ Fleck. It's a completely different team.

We beat Central Michigan at home last year 41-17. WMU lost to them at home 35-28. If SU plays its game,
it will win. They ARE the better team. Can BS happen on gameday? Sure, lots of crazy things happen every weekend. Look at Central Michigan having God on their side against Ok. State last year. Didn't mean CMU was a better team, just that they got lucky as hell. Can that happen? Sure. But if I'm a betting man, I'm taking SU 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:
You’re certainly right. Still, PJ hasn’t been there for a couple of years and a lot of their NFL talent either graduated or left early including both of their NFL caliber corners.
I’m pretty sure this most recent class that Lester brought in is actually the most highly rated that they have ever gotten there (even over the PJ years) but your point is valid about their best veteran/proven talent has pretty much all moved on.

Well, if you're not going to say it I will. SU will beat WMU if they play their game. If they don't I will be pissed, and wonder what's going on up on the hill. WMU finished 6-6 last year with home losses to Akron and Central Michigan. Yes, those are two solid MAC teams. That's exactly what WMU is. A solid MAC team. We should beat them 95% of the time. I don't care what they were in 2016 with PJ Fleck. It's a completely different team.

We beat Central Michigan at home last year 41-17. WMU lost to them at home 35-28. If SU plays its game,
it will win. They ARE the better team. Can BS happen on gameday? Sure, lots of crazy things happen every weekend. Look at Central Michigan having God on their side against Ok. State last year. Didn't mean CMU was a better team, just that they got lucky as hell. Can that happen? Sure. But if I'm a betting man, I'm taking SU 10 times out of 10.
Well said...we win going away. 41-17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom