We've yet to have a QB throw for a TD in conference play | Syracusefan.com

We've yet to have a QB throw for a TD in conference play

Insane. Save for against Wagner's 1st string, and FSU's 7th string, they both leave a lot to be desired.

Combined with receivers whom drop a lot of balls, and coaches whom do not attempt to win vs FSU, they may never get better this year.

We didn't air it out once vs FSU. At the least, you have to threaten to. The longest attempt was Allen's 15-20 yarder. That was picked off.

We're not going to win the bubble screen battle against a defense that is twice as fast as our offense.

2 games to win 1, and just continue to rebuild.

Insane. Save for against Wagner's 1st string, and FSU's 7th string, they both leave a lot to be desired.

Combined with receivers whom drop a lot of balls, and coaches whom do not attempt to win vs FSU, they may never get better this year.

We didn't air it out once vs FSU. At the least, you have to threaten to. The longest attempt was Allen's 15-20 yarder. That was picked off.

We're not going to win the bubble screen battle against a defense that is twice as fast as our offense.

2 games to win 1, and just continue to rebuild.

This whole "they didn't try to win vs FSU" meme needs to die. We are clearly a poor passing team and they make it very difficult if not impossible to play man on D. Not sure what game people watched, but the effort was there - game plan was limited by our QB/WR and their speed.

This whole "they didn't try to win vs FSU" meme needs to die. We are clearly a poor passing team and they make it very difficult if not impossible to play man on D. Not sure what game people watched, but the effort was there - game plan was limited by our QB/WR and their speed.

Maybe true, but we didn't even threaten to throw long. Probably to limit 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 10 situations, but you should at least try once.

I agree, the game was unwinnable and everyone knew it including the staff, you can throw around all sorts of buzz words and cliché's but that game for this program right now is unwinnable. If we play our best game we still lose by 28-30 points. What can you do, we are so limited on offense that there is no way we could win that game, absolutely no way. Once we got down 14-0 the game was over. This is the best team we have played in 15 years, even when we were good this would have been a beat down. Would have looked like what they did to Miami at best.

It's easy to sit on a couch and say, well you never know! They need to think they can win!! Take it to them!! Itisn't going to work. It's a completely different class of football and athlete than we have, there is no comparison.

The plan was to run our system, keep players in front of us, we hope and try to lose as close as possible, that is realistic, IMO. Either way, we lose and they have beaten every single one of our peer programs the same way, there is zero shame in it.

I don't know what people expecting the staff to do, scheme their way to a closer loss, we were 100% overmatched EVERYWHERE, we had not one advantage. Crazy talk. THROW IT DEEP!!!! for what? an INT...

We have not one receiver capable of getting open 1 on 1 versus their corners, their linebackers are faster than our receivers.

Last edited:
Maybe true, but we didn't even threaten to throw long. Probably to limit 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 10 situations, but you should at least try once.

It would not have mattered. We could have been spotted 35 points and it would not have mattered.

Overmatched doesn't begin to describe the talent differential I saw on Saturday. It's just the way it is.

I watched the Alabama game on Sat night and they look very vulnerable. Looks like the torch will be passed to FSU. Let's hope that they pull the rest of the conference with them a bit. I'll lose to them for a couple of seasons if it means our recruiting gets better over the same time and we win all of our non-conf and go bowling regularly.

the good thing was we didnt gift them pts like the clemson/nw game. the one long run was crazy speed. 3 tds were spot on throws to really good coverage and a fumble return. we didnt throw bad Ints, we pressured winston pretty well. people can point to how BC played them, but that game was early with a QB they didnt really know what they wanted to do and BC got up early at home. from 17-3 they were outscored 45- 10 when they shut it down.

the good thing was we didnt gift them pts like the clemson/nw game. the one long run was crazy speed. 3 tds were spot on throws to really good coverage and a fumble return. we didnt throw bad Ints, we pressured winston pretty well. people can point to how BC played them, but that game was early with a QB they didnt really know what they wanted to do and BC got up early at home. from 17-3 they were outscored 45- 10 when they shut it down.

Not directed ta you at all UD but I love all the BC praise for losing by 21, sure it's better than getting clocked but lets see how the ACTUAL game versus BC plays out before we anoint them the superior program with the superior HC. What. They have had some What moments this year too.

Not sure why its mind blowing, from a passing standpoint our QB's have been really bad and our WR's have somehow been worse. Weird personel decisions and uneven playcalling have also played a role.

Not sure why its mind blowing, from a passing standpoint our QB's have been really bad and our WR's have somehow been worse. Weird personel decisions and uneven playcalling have also played a role.
Even with all of that, I can't believe we haven't even accidentally had one of our QBs throw for a TD.

Even with all of that, I can't believe we haven't even accidentally had one of our QBs throw for a TD.

The fact this team is a game away from bow eligibility without throwing for a TD pass in conference is mind blowing.

Through watching the conference games, outside of Broylds blunders, this is all on the QBs.

I wish I could count how many times West was WIDE OPEN down field and Hunt just sailed it or completely missed.

However, Terrell Hunt is not a veteran and I gotta remember that.

His game will come...
Eventually.

we did throw one against FSU.. of course we dropped it. BC had 4 td passes against FSU the rest of the teams had 2..

That just blows my mind.

Wow. Crazy. Could continue as well. I wonder how rare that would be. This is not a bowl caliber team even if we are eligible for one. Any good team has embarrassed SU and the wins were against poor teams or ones with glaring injuries.

we did throw one against FSU.. of course we dropped it. BC had 4 td passes against FSU the rest of the teams had 2..

Can you summarize the play? Was at the bball game so I missed the second half.

This is not a bowl caliber team even if we are eligible for one.

So what we need the extra practice whether we 'belong' or not. Nobody is going to care if we get mopped in the Military Bowl except for those of us on this forum. But it will give our young guys extra practice. And deserve it or not, going to a bowl game in year 1 of this transition with all the coaching changes, offensive changes, lack of QB play, and new conference should be considered a miracle. Lots of teams follow this mantra, beat enough crappy teams to make continuous bowl appearances which if nothing else gives the illusion of being decent, thereby attracting more recruits and more fans on game day. I'd rather be 6-6 or 7-5 over 4-8 no matter how we do it.

So what we need the extra practice whether we 'belong' or not. Nobody is going to care if we get mopped in the Military Bowl except for those of us on this forum. But it will give our young guys extra practice. And deserve it or not, going to a bowl game in year 1 of this transition with all the coaching changes, offensive changes, lack of QB play, and new conference should be considered a miracle. Lots of teams follow this mantra, beat enough crappy teams to make continuous bowl appearances which if nothing else gives the illusion of being decent, thereby attracting more recruits and more fans on game day. I'd rather be 6-6 or 7-5 over 4-8 no matter how we do it.

You're right. No question. I'm just sayin'. The body of work is suspect at best.

That just blows my mind.
if he has a qb rating of 104 or less next week, that will be 8 for 8 against BCS. the odds of picking 8 games from 2012 data all below 104 would be 1 in 11 million

if he goes for 104 the next two games (9 for 9) those odds are 1 in 47 million

if they get to a bowl and he goes 10 for 10 below 104 rating, those odds are 1 in 201 million

there is a little part of me that wants it to happen just because it's so nuts.

it's getting to the point where i'm really doubting the math. but's pretty simple, i still think it's right.

but that game for this program right now is unwinnable.

I think unwinnable for any program right now.
I think some folks are forgetting that FSU went into "Death Valley" and completely destroyed a very good Clemson team 51-14!! This is one of the most complete college FB teams I can remember.

FSU will beat Alabama (or who ever else makes it to the NC game) by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Book it.

That is just an absurd stat. It's been almost 2 months. That was in September. It was the first day of Fall. If they somehow don't get one against Pitt and BC, too, that will be the most incredible (and incredibly sad) stat I've seen in some time, especially if we grab a win and a bowl berth.

It's amazing that a screen pass or something didn't pop. I think that is really an indictment on Hunt and the WR's, though I'm not sure who shoulders more blame.

I think some folks are forgetting that FSU went into "Death Valley" and completely destroyed a very good Clemson team 51-14!! This is one of the most complete college FB teams I can remember.

FSU will beat Alabama (or who ever else makes it to the NC game) by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Book it.

I really want to see a FSU/Baylor matchup. I'm tired of Alabama playing for the title every year. Let's see some fresh blood!