WF = trap game? | Syracusefan.com

WF = trap game?

adbern7

Walk On
I don't know much about WF, is there reason to be concerned? I don't know their players but their record isn't terrible and they have some decent looking wins. Are they the kind of team that could McGary the zone with a good high post forward and good 3 pt shooters? Tough road atmosphere on Tobacco Road, gotta think this is their Super Bowl.
Please I'm not looking for generic "we should crush them!" replies, the Cuse fans here know what the team's capable of: both upside and downside. thanks

I don't know much about WF, is there reason to be concerned? I don't know their players but their record isn't terrible and they have some decent looking wins. Are they the kind of team that could McGary the zone with a good high post forward and good 3 pt shooters? Tough road atmosphere on Tobacco Road, gotta think this is their Super Bowl.
Please I'm not looking for generic "we should crush them!" replies, the Cuse fans here know what the team's capable of: both upside and downside. thanks

If we were playing Wake at home I would say no problem but Wake is a different team at home. They have won 13 straight at home and that includes a perfect 12-0 this season. This game is much tougher than playing at BC or Miami, Wake is a better team and plays better at home. I like their mix of athletes. It will be absolutely critical for Rak/BMK to play well against Devin Thomas inside. He killed Notre Dame their last game.

I think we can score on Wake and must attack them inside and get to the FT line. Wake defends the 3 pont line well so we must attack in the paint. They surrender lots of FT attempts. Wake will turn it over so we have to capitalize. Also if we can keep them in a halfcourt game and prevent their fast breaks we should be able ok but it wont be a cakewalk. Few ACC road games are. See BC and see Miami. Foul trouble could be big and we cant get into foul trouble. Wakes games always have many fouls on both sides.

If this is a trap game, then it's because we set the trap ourselves. Wake does not have the athleticism or perimeter scoring to hang with us. They barely beat an undermanned ND team and didn't look good doing that. We SHOULD win this comfortably. But, as we all know, we seem to like to keep things close.

That said, if we get a big lead on Wake like we did against Miami, we should hold it. They don't have the horses.

BTW, I'm calling it now. Tyler Cavanaugh has a career game. ;)

If we were playing Wake at home I would say no problem but Wake is a different team at home. They have won 13 straight at home and that includes a perfect 12-0 this season. This game is much tougher than playing at BC or Miami, Wake is a better team and plays better at home. I like their mix of athletes. It will be absolutely critical for Rak/BMK to play well against Devin Thomas inside. He killed Notre Dame their last game.

I think we can score on Wake and must attack them inside and get to the FT line. Wake defends the 3 pont line well so we must attack in the paint. They surrender lots of FT attempts. Wake will turn it over so we have to capitalize. Also if we can keep them in a halfcourt game and prevent their fast breaks we should be able ok but it wont be a cakewalk. Few ACC road games are. See BC and see Miami. Foul trouble could be big and we cant get into foul trouble. Wakes games always have many fouls on both sides.
thanks. So, potentially a Pitt-like game: inside, physical, a few whistles go the wrong way on Rak/Grant and we might have a situation here with a tough road crowd. Good to be mentally prepared (I mean me).

Their leading scorer shoots 24% from 3 so I'm expecting a 5+ 3 pointer day from him chucking 25 footers. Luckily it's a road game so Cooney will shoot well to counter that. Aside from that their big, Thomas, could give us issues but he shoots FT's like Shaq.

It's a new arena for our players though, so anything can happen.

There are no more trap games left on our schedule. We are in the long slog of conference play. We are likely to lose one of these games along the way just because it's so difficult to be good every game. A conference road game is tough enough, I wouldn't call it a trap. That said, I think we win this one comfortably for a change.

Dig a little deeper on Wake's 12-0 record at home.

They have beaten up on patsies and played three lower-level teams in the ACC thus far (ND is 2-5, NC is 2-4, NC St. is 3-4).

You can point out our struggles against Miami - but it is clear we do not match up with them well. Even with that, we beat them by double figures Saturday on the road, and could have probably won by more if we hadn't had the string of turnovers toward the end of the first half.

Wake shoots 32.9% from three-point range. Their top 3-pt. shooter played his first three years at Robert Morris and was never an all-league player in the Northeast Conference. That's all I need to know.

When I think Trap game I think bad team before a big game that plays out of their minds. Like maybe BC or something. I think you watch the tape on WF and you think they are pretty good and no one will look past them. Also I don't know how you have a Trap Game on the road unless a team is like 5 games below 500.

No games on the road are trap games. We down 8 in the 2nd half to BC, any team can pick us off on the road and it's got nothing to do with a trap game or looking ahead to the next game.

Got to be tough not to look ahead to Duke. Particularly the way the media is hyping the game to be bigger than the Super Bowl! On the other hand, Wake looks to be a tailor made opponent for us. They average over 12 turnovers a game and don't shoot very well (44% overall and 32% from 3). But they have decent size, defend well - only given up 70 in one ACC game so far - and do a pretty good job on the boards corralling 37% of their missed shots. If we're focused on the game at hand and hit the glass we'll be fine.

Literally every national title winning team of the past 30 years has lost at least one conference road game to an average-to-good opponent. I will certainly be upset if we lose, but as long as it doesn't turn into a losing streak, we're completely fine.

Seth Davis‏@SethDavisHoops
Syracuse on upset alert this week. I have to be right one of these times. I love bubble baths, too.

;)
Street cred. I will never have any.
156012_10152657173240427_327061068_n.jpg

I'm hoping that our players aren't looking past Wake Forest to Duke, like many posters on this board are doing. If the players are, that will be our undoing...

I'm not looking past them. I dont think this team is either. That hasn't been their character. I'm sure JB is hammering on them about not taking Wake lightly and how road games like this can be a problem.

All that aside, if we play our game and don't have an offensive drought, it won't be close. Wake struggled with ND, who has zero guard play and played a weak zone. Our guards are the difference tonight. Cooney needs to hit 40% to open up the middle. Although we are down DC, we still are the deeper team inside. We open up that defense, CJ and Grant can get the Wake bigs in foul trouble. We are too athletic.

Wake is going to race down the court to try and beat the zone. That's what they did against the ND zone. Running favors us. However, if we control the glass, it will limit a lot of what Wake wants to do.

I don't think Coach Biz is a slow it down kind of guy. We'll see.

Most would think that any game outside of the Duke game and the Carolina game would be a trap game this year. SO yes this is one of dozens of trap games this year.

Gotta love it to have to think this way because of how good/great this team is and is getting better.

Most would think that any game outside of the Duke game and the Carolina game would be a trap game this year. SO yes this is one of dozens of trap games this year.

Gotta love it to have to think this way because of how good/great this team is and is getting better.
Good grief - impressive Tee - I'm not sure I had hit "Post Reply" before I received your like. What happened to work by the way? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom