What’s not being talked about why the zone doesn’t work | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What’s not being talked about why the zone doesn’t work

same thing all the time with the Zone haters.
Try looking at the make up of the teams roster.
Last year was a slow footed team would have given up 100 points a game in man to man, but man to man was the answer
This years team with skinny freshman would be bullied all over the floor in man. Joe would be exposed in man, and you cannot afford to lose his offense on this team (yes I know last night was a stinker but he has been very solid most of the year) The zone can mask some deficiencies that man to man cannot.
I reviewed the Virginia SU game from a couple weeks ago (every bucket), and It was almost amazing how many open looks Virginia had. The two three was exposed due to our standing around lack of hustle, not anticipating passes, slow to the shooter footwork and lack length. Nearly identical to the Virginia Tech game last night. Here’s hoping VA has an off shooting night with the projected open looks.

I don’t really believe the D is really that hard to master. It just doesn't work. The game has changed, most teams put out four players who are comfortable playing on the perimeter. Bigs are either glorified 4s or rim runners. Not sure if you can play a standard 2-3 anymore. Better matchup principles might help.
The thing I don’t get about yesterday is why not let Mutts take the foul line jumper. Flying at him doesn’t accomplish anything.
The guards do nothing to stop the high post passing. They’re not pressuring the ball, not denying the passing lanes and they aren’t guarding high post.
Jesse flies up to cover the high post leaving the wing to try and stop and overloaded side. Wings are constantly stuck in a 2 on 1. They get yanked for being unable to achieve the impossible and never seem to settle in.
Last thing Justin Taylor is terrible on defense as the three. Too slow to cover on the outside and too small to help underneath. He needs to develop ball handling and become a real 2 or we have to play man. Haha
Agree on all this. JB used to be fine picking his poison. Fine, let the guy at the foul line take that 15 foot jumper and see if he can make it consistently, but we must keep the center back a bit so we don’t give up the short corner and to rim protect on drives. And while the guards can pinch down to pressure the guy in the middle, it’s most important for the guards and forwards to fan out to shooters. Now JB is on the players for giving up a foul line jumper or short corner pass and then all our players overcompensate and don’t fan out to the 3-point shooters.

Similar to football, scheme matters but really its all about the talent. I doubt BW for example becomes a All American if we play man and chances are JE still reaches and picks up dumb fouls. Jimmys and Joes but would like to see JB thow more junk and mix it up like we used to do in 90's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom