What’s the gameplan? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What’s the gameplan?

He also was arguably the best player on the best AAU team in the country over the summer. I don’t get where Dasher is getting this from.

I only saw him play once but he was a beast. Light years ahead of Brown when I saw him on the same court.

What should the game plan be? Limiting possessions. Slowing things down and being more disciplined on offense. Finding better shots. We can’t outgun teams but we run free like we are an efficient offense. We are a terrible offensive team.
We have a top 30 pace this season. You know what happens when you are not an efficient offensive team with a high pace? This. You give the other teams more possessions they score on them and margins grow. Slow it down and control the pace. We need to grind out wins with this team.

Syracuse football 2016 - 2017.

Like Gait across the hall Red wants to play with pace and a free flowing offense. Growing pains and adjustments to be made along the way…

just cuz you liked them as players doesn't mean they're great coaches.

Exactly. This board is blinded by their loyalty to them as players to be able to objectively view them as coaches. You see this with parents in youth sports all the time.

Freeman’s team won their championship last year
Losing record as of earlier this year. I'm really not knocking the kid at all. Just that we have to tamper down the one and done talk.

Y'all digressed from the original question. Thought it was a good question.

What is Reds plan? Just do O.

I honestly don't know.
The plan on O was to have two guards who are interchangeable, are lethal in the open court and are triple threats. Then you have Bell and Taylor as perimeter threats to create space for the guards. Westry and Cope were meant to be slashers who could cause chaos by breaking down the D. Benny was the stretch 4 who could get the team an easy bucket when needed. Centers rebound the ball and get dunks off occasional pick and rolls.

Unfortunately here is the reality… Benny has been a no show all season for various reasons. JJ couldn’t shoot for most of the season and now that he can shoot he’s not able to really distribute the ball. Judah is the best player on the team and it’s not close, but his shooting is not there, he has no one to space the floor for him to drive and he has no one to pass the ball to. Westry is hurt. Cope can’t shoot and again there is no spacing for him to do his thing so he causes chaos in moments but not consistently. Taylor can’t get his shot off at this level. Bell has shown some stuff but he is nowhere near consistent enough and frankly would be coming off the bench on a normal team. Then the big guy got hurt and that means Brown has to play iron man.

But the big issue with the O is not the offensive strategy, it’s the D. I don’t think Autry wants to play grind it out half court games. This team is at its best when it’s turning the other team over and getting into the open court. During these blowouts the turnovers stop and the offense go to crap. I know this post is about offense, but my big concern is still the D. They play pretty good initial D… but the instant they don’t get a steal or their man gets passed the defender there is ZERO help. This leads to easy shot after easy shot. Then given that this team has the mental strength of tissue paper they lose all discipline on offense and resort to playground ball taking bad shot after bad shot which leads to easy runouts and the whole thing snowballs.

I’ll give Autry a pass on the offense… I can see what he wants to do but he’s playing with a roster of misfit toys. Where I am deeply concerned is the D. D is all about strategy, execution and effort. Yet here we are two thirds of the way through the season and the team has the same defensive issues it had in the first games of the season. There is still no secondary help strategy… and that is really really bad because that can and should be fixed by coaching.

I want Autry to succeed, but he needs to show some coaching chops on D.

Losing record as of earlier this year. I'm really not knocking the kid at all. Just that we have to tamper down the one and done talk.

Where he is now? That I don’t know but St John’s won the wcac last season. Judah did what he did and transferred for the final year.

Agree on the rest.

The plan on O was to have two guards who are interchangeable, are lethal in the open court and are triple threats. Then you have Bell and Taylor as perimeter threats to create space for the guards. Westry and Cope were meant to be slashers who could cause chaos by breaking down the D. Benny was the stretch 4 who could get the team an easy bucket when needed. Centers rebound the ball and get dunks off occasional pick and rolls.

Unfortunately here is the reality… Benny has been a no show all season for various reasons. JJ couldn’t shoot for most of the season and now that he can shoot he’s not able to really distribute the ball. Judah is the best player on the team and it’s not close, but his shooting is not there, he has no one to space the floor for him to drive and he has no one to pass the ball to. Westry is hurt. Cope can’t shoot and again there is no spacing for him to do his thing so he causes chaos in moments but not consistently. Taylor can’t get his shot off at this level. Bell has shown some stuff but he is nowhere near consistent enough and frankly would be coming off the bench on a normal team. Then the big guy got hurt and that means Brown has to play iron man.

But the big issue with the O is not the offensive strategy, it’s the D. I don’t think Autry wants to play grind it out half court games. This team is at its best when it’s turning the other team over and getting into the open court. During these blowouts the turnovers stop and the offense go to crap. I know this post is about offense, but my big concern is still the D. They play pretty good initial D… but the instant they don’t get a steal or their man gets passed the defender there is ZERO help. This leads to easy shot after easy shot. Then given that this team has the mental strength of tissue paper they lose all discipline on offense and resort to playground ball taking bad shot after bad shot which leads to easy runouts and the whole thing snowballs.

I’ll give Autry a pass on the offense… I can see what he wants to do but he’s playing with a roster of misfit toys. Where I am deeply concerned is the D. D is all about strategy, execution and effort. Yet here we are two thirds of the way through the season and the team has the same defensive issues it had in the first games of the season. There is still no secondary help strategy… and that is really really bad because that can and should be fixed by coaching.

Even a mediocre rim protector in Naheem would be helpful.

Really well said.

The roster has way too many softmores.

You mean the sophomores that JB said after recruiting them here that this was the best recruiting class he had ever assembled...or along those lines? Those sophomores!?

That is a good post and charitable.

The problem to me is the delusional thinking that both interchangeable guards were triple threats.

The proof was in the numbers and also the eye test that it wasn't so. You can't just bring in starling just because he's good and he's from here. Interchangeable players isn't a great strategy unless they are all shooters

That is a good post and charitable.

The problem to me is the delusional thinking that both interchangeable guards were triple threats.

The proof was in the numbers and also the eye test that it wasn't so. You can't just bring in starling just because he's good and he's from here. Interchangeable players isn't a great strategy unless they are all shooters
At some point it’s on the players to live up to their prospect profile. JJ was hurt and that messed up his shot. I’m sure Judah is working on his perimeter game because that will make or break his professional career.

It wasn’t just our coaches… JJ was a top transfer target everyone wanted. Pre-season Judah was considered the second best guard in the country. You gotta roll with those odds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom