What a welcome change to have depth | Syracusefan.com

What a welcome change to have depth

RF2044

Living Legend
Now that camp's in full swing, and with all of the posts / articles breaking down the different positional units, I'm struck by how much depth has changed, and what an advantage it is to be back at a full roster.

Don't get me wrong: several positional units still have question marks, unproved players ascending into more prominent roles, etc. But four years ago we were sweating out every injury, had limited options at several key positions, and were keeping our fingers crossed to merely cobble together some modicum of productivity from what we had.

These days, we have quality depth everywhere. The size / strength / athleticism quotient has improved across the board. And we have exciting young talent at every position.

Welcome change.

Yup, you could see that depth building under HCDM after the initial purge. Last year was really Year 1 of the rebuild.

Amen my friend. In Marrone's first year, he had like 59 scholly players. 59. Shaf has a full team with a good lineup of walk-ons, who are very underappreciated. Walk-ons provide more bodies at practice so that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string teams can play against other players. They pay their own way (at a private school no less), hoping to potentially work their way up to a scholly by their senior year.

We have full units that can now be coached by their respective position coaches. Just take a look at this pic of the DB's. Do you ever remember seeing a unit so full?

BRA5-9bCYAA2LVo.jpg:large

We can spend alot of time with ST's, which is a huge area SU needs to improve on. Having over 100 hats at practice is a huge difference maker. The potential talent across the board is frightening (in a good way).

We can redshirt players who would've had to start 5 years ago. Now the staff has the luxury of redshirting the younger players, allowing them to bulk up, learn the playbook and become acclimated to college life. So after a redshirt year, they still have 4 years of eligibility left and we won't have to continue to scour the JUCO ranks for subs (even though there are alot of quality, quality players at the JUCO level). Wayyy better for the program to have 4-5 year kids who can thrive as juniors and seniors after a few years in the S&C program, understanding their roles better and becoming leaders when their number finally gets called.

All in all, I'm really not too excited for Syracuse Football to be back. ;)

I was commenting on that the other day. What a luxury it is to have a depth chart loaded with real D1 talent again. I had forgotten what that felt like.

We were in the dark ages for quite a long time.

When Minny came to the Dome, their team took up the entire sideline, from one 10 yard line down to the other.

That SU team battled but fit easily inside the 25s.

Depth IMO biggest key to college football, even bigger than any individual position.

Another example:

Here are the RBs - Rene, GMII, DMC, Prince, Rome

4 pretty good RBs right there. 2 redshirt freshmen, and could have Rome back for another year. Add in Adonis and that is some legit depth.

BRBr-npCcAAnFpi.jpg:large

And how many players decided to move on with the coaching change? Yeah, exactly.

I would think the competition level at practice has risen exponentially as the roster has filled out. Better depth across the board gives a better look in practice, which can only lead to better results on Saturdays.

Amen my friend. In Marrone's first year, he had like 59 scholly players. 59. Shaf has a full team with a good lineup of walk-ons, who are very underappreciated. Walk-ons provide more bodies at practice so that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string teams can play against other players. They pay their own way (at a private school no less), hoping to potentially work their way up to a scholly by their senior year.

We have full units that can now be coached by their respective position coaches. Just take a look at this pic of the DB's. Do you ever remember seeing a unit so full?

BRA5-9bCYAA2LVo.jpg:large

We can spend alot of time with ST's, which is a huge area SU needs to improve on. Having over 100 hats at practice is a huge difference maker. The potential talent across the board is frightening (in a good way).

We can redshirt players who would've had to start 5 years ago. Now the staff has the luxury of redshirting the younger players, allowing them to bulk up, learn the playbook and become acclimated to college life. So after a redshirt year, they still have 4 years of eligibility left and we won't have to continue to scour the JUCO ranks for subs (even though there are alot of quality, quality players at the JUCO level). Wayyy better for the program to have 4-5 year kids who can thrive as juniors and seniors after a few years in the S&C program, understanding their roles better and becoming leaders when their number finally gets called.

All in all, I'm really not too excited for Syracuse Football to be back. ;)
Love that picture. So nice to see depth. I also enjoy the fact that HCSS has kept the red and green practice jerseys. They may be a little different but Iove the tradition.

From left to right: Idris Price, Andrey Baskins, J. Knox, and BigFoot. I know, I know...I was surprised at how small Knox is, too.

Are you sure? I think I see Max Meisel in there somewhere.

In Marrone's first year, he had like 59 scholly players. 59.

For comparison, that's a half dozen less than PSU is allowed during their punishment period that everyone is saying will kill them.

Amen my friend. In Marrone's first year, he had like 59 scholly players. 59.

We obviously have more and better depth than then and in a long time. But the 59 was Marrones choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We obviously have more and better depth than then and in a long time. But the 59 was Marrones choice.

Such a positive thread takes yet another turn. Why must you go there??

yes it was and it allowed us to be where we are today

yes it was and it allowed us to be where we are today

Not really

From left to right: Idris Price, Andrey Baskins, J. Knox, and BigFoot. I know, I know...I was surprised at how small Knox is, too.

Big Foot? I thought he was in Vermont. Up by Canada, it is.

Investment in the future. The absolutely right thing to do was turn over the roster. And the vast majority of those kids self selected out.

The program was broken and he fixed it. That's all that matters.