What all time Syracuse recruit were you most excited about? Be honest. | Syracusefan.com

What all time Syracuse recruit were you most excited about? Be honest.

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
In your years of being a Syracuse University sports fan, what basketball recruit had you the most excited? (Whether he panned out or not).

Be honest.

The recruit I was most excited about in my 15 years of being a fan (began watching games at 5 or 6)...

was none other than thee Rakeem Christmas.

Why?

He was an excitingly athletic big guy with a name that you could just see in the NBA or leading a championship team.

Did it pan out that way?

WE DON'T KNOW YET.

I was also extremely excited for Dion Waiters, Dashonte Riley and Paul Harris.

Walton also. Then probably billy Owens even though I was a kid. Don't think if ever heard of a player before he got to su before billy.

Derrick Coleman.

Then Billy Owens.

Then Adrian Autry.

Then Carmelo Anthony.

Billy Owens 100%.
The union of Michael and Billy was epic.

Pearl. I remember watching him announce on NBC (I think) He didn't disappoint. :)

Billy without a doubt - gotta throw Carmelo in there obviously.

Autry was a good one but remember they really wanted Kenny Anderson.

Billy Owens
Anthony Harris (i remember going to his first game against Marathon Oil and wondered who the kid with the high socks - who proceeded to drop like 19 that game-was)
John Wallace
Winfred Walton
Carmelo
Harris
Dion
Richardson

I live too far away to have been "in the loop" pre-internet. Josh Pace was the first player of note I can remember reading about. Also Jonny Flynn's imminent arrival got a lot of hopes up, mine included.

Last edited:
The Billy's.

Owens: he was the best player in the country and was gonna be a classmate. Very cool.

Edelin: thought he'd lead us to a NC. Can't say he let me down.

Melo: see Edelin.

I'm not much of a recruitnik, I like to see the product in Orange before I make a decision.

I did love making fun of the Harris people. He was a short forward from buffalo with no shot... and people got all worked up over him. That was a no brainer. Didn't need to see anything, just read a few bios and I knew the idiots here would be let down.

I had very high hopes for Mike Jones.

Also remember believing that Glenn Sekunda was going to be really, really good for us.

I think practically everyone should probably list Paul Harris considering the Chuck Norris threads that were on here. I would also add Billy Owens, Winfred Walton (very short lived excitement in that case) and Carmelo.