What all time Syracuse recruit were you most excited about? Be honest. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What all time Syracuse recruit were you most excited about? Be honest.

Pearl
Carmelo
Derrick Coleman
Owens
wow, it's been a long time since I was really excited about an incoming recruit. Maybe that tells us something about our so-called great recent recruiting.

1. Pearl - absolutely the recruit that made Syracuse a National program
2. Owens - by far, the best recruit of his class. I saw him play in HS, it was truly amazing how good he was.
3. Derrick Coleman - great talent with fire in his belly. The kind of personality this program needs RIGHT NOW!!!
4. Carmelo - late bloomer or we probably don't secure him. He did what no other recruit could do.....win a NC!

Dave Bing. I was at SU during basketball's wilderness years when we set the NCAA record for consecutive losing games. To get Dave Bing right after than season was amazing, especially since it happened simultaneously with the opening of Manley.

Dave Bing. I was at SU during basketball's wilderness years when we set the NCAA record for consecutive losing games. To get Dave Bing right after than season was amazing, especially since it happened simultaneously with the opening of Manley.

But how much excitement did that create at the time? The Nationals were sill in town and they were the basketball team that represented this city to the country. And football was king on the hill. And freshmen were not eligible for he wouldn't be on the varsity for 2 years.

How excited were you when Dave Bing decided to come to Syracuse?

Coming off a week long PS series on how our recruiting sucked back in 1999, and then following Julius Hodges recruitment and hearing how he wanted to go to the school with the best shot of winning an NC...only for him to go to NC state. Only to follow that up by getting a commit from the number one player in the class.

Carmelo Anthony is easily number one for me. Second? Donte Greene.

And count me as another who never bought into the Paul Harris hype. A two guard with no shot whose strength is man to man defense? Sounds like a fit to me!

I did an internship with the football team at Carlisle HS when Michael Owens was a senior and Billy was a sophomore. Michael was way more hyped than another RB from the Harrisburg area but who had a much better pro career than Mike-- Ricky Watters.

I saw Billy play that year in the state playoffs. He was triple teamed the whole game and scored 33 points.

All that to say this-- Billy Owens. I thought he would be in the NBA HOF after he was done but he just never seemed to live up to his potential.

Pearl, Billy Owens, Carmelo.

Al McGuire used to have an entire show each year where he would announce where the most sought-after player in the country would go. Announcing that Pearl was going to Syracuse lifted the program to another level that year.

winfred walton was the last cuse player to wear #44. that has to change.

Im younger but melo after the mcds game. Then paul harris

Too young for many previously listed. First class I really remember following was Warrick/Hodges

Being from WNY, I had such high hopes for Flynn and Harris. That Niagara Falls team was the greatest High School basketball team I have ever seen. They were spectacular.

Also, I though Donte Greene was going to an absolute stud. Yeah, didn't work out too well.

In your years of being a Syracuse University sports fan, what basketball recruit had you the most excited? (Whether he panned out or not).

Be honest.

The recruit I was most excited about in my 15 years of being a fan (began watching games at 5 or 6)...

was none other than thee Rakeem Christmas.

Why?

He was an excitingly athletic big guy with a name that you could just see in the NBA or leading a championship team.

Did it pan out that way?

WE DON'T KNOW YET.

I was also extremely excited for Dion Waiters, Dashonte Riley and Paul Harris.
That says it all. We have a history of bringing in great players. Imagine we are a good and rising program and the most exciting player in the country goes on national tv with Al Mcguire and says he is going to syracuse. That was excitement.

Derrick Coleman.

Then Paul Harris.

1 for 2.

Ashton Broyld
Paul Harris
I was most excited when Billy Edelin committed. When you land a solid point you've got a good chance to draw other quality players... I was similarly impressed when Ennis committed. I didn't know he'd excel the way he did and his stay would be so short. If he would have stayed and played, he would have been an attractor of other talent. Instabiliity at the point is not a plus for recruiting.

Carmelo. Then in the Memphis game he spins away from two defenders and cans a three? I knew he was the real deal.

But how much excitement did that create at the time? The Nationals were sill in town and they were the basketball team that represented this city to the country. And football was king on the hill. And freshmen were not eligible for he wouldn't be on the varsity for 2 years.

How excited were you when Dave Bing decided to come to Syracuse?

Don't rewrite my life for me. I was at SU in the early '60s, and you weren't. The basketball team was the laughing stock of the campus. No one went to games. I had been a huge basketball fan in high school, and I was so disappointed by the apathy at SU. Then we heard we were getting this fabulous player from DC, and then he arrived. No one went to games in the previous year. A HUGE crowd showed up for Dave Bing's first freshman game... and the crowds grew with each succeeding game. He had an incredible impact on interest in the program. Trust me. It created serious excitement. I am sorry Alibrat doesn't post here any more. He would confirm it.

Pearl...and then Billy Owens.

I'm excited about Joseph.

Billy Owens
Anthony Harris (i remember going to his first game against Marathon Oil and wondered who the kid with the high socks - who proceeded to drop like 19 that game-was)
John Wallace
Winfred Walton
Carmelo
Harris
Dion
Richardson
Anthony Harris and Laz Sims are why JB never offered Micheal Brown (from CNS) of Providence. JB told Brown's HS coach that he had an All American freshman back court. (At least that is what the coach told me.)

Don't rewrite my life for me. I was at SU in the early '60s, and you weren't. The basketball team was the laughing stock of the campus. No one went to games. I had been a huge basketball fan in high school, and I was so disappointed by the apathy at SU. Then we heard we were getting this fabulous player from DC, and then he arrived. No one went to games in the previous year. A HUGE crowd showed up for Dave Bing's first freshman game... and the crowds grew with each succeeding game. He had an incredible impact on interest in the program. Trust me. It created serious excitement. I am sorry Alibrat doesn't post here any more. He would confirm it.
As I have been told, CTO, the crowd would leave after the freshman game, and not watch the varsity.

Reactions: cto
I was actually extremely excited about Dashonte Riley. Forgot about him. Thought his size was amazing and he would be a beast. Yikes.

I was pretty excited about GMac actually, and I'm sorta surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet. I got to see a team from PA (Susquehanna) whose team lost in the state playoffs to GMac's team when GMac was a freshmen. I didn't see the game, but I think he had something in the 30 or 40 point range. Then I saw him as a senior at the Stop-DWI in Binghamton and he made a great pass to a teammate who missed a layup at the buzzer to lose by one.

What I really liked about him is that I knew he was a four year player that would contribute right from the get go.

I was also excited about Winfred Walton quite a bit also. Coming off the probation years, he was the first top ten type recruit in a decent amount of years at that time.