What are we even looking forward to? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What are we even looking forward to?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t we have two 1’s and one 5 coming in next year?

I don't think Girard is a lead ball-handler; I suspect that if he's going to have a successful college career, it's in more of an off-ball role. In the very least, I wouldn't expect him to be setting teammates up a lot.

Goodine...we'll see. I like him a lot as a recruit but he's more of a scorer than a ball-handler/distributor too. I think he has more potential than Girard of becoming a lead guard though.

In the very least, adding the two of them as shooters to a team with Boeheim and Hughes should be nice.

And yet some are trying to suggest that a handful of "bad eggs" drove away all the quality posters for lack of a better word. The only thing driving people away is the basketball program. Our fans are great yada yada JB all you want, but eventually fans stop caring and we invest in other parts of our lives. It used to be somewhat cathartic to come on here after a tough loss to take in different viewpoints but after 5 years of the same old same old there's not much left to say. The well is running dry.

It's the no end in sight part that really stings. If fans could point to dynamite recruiting to give us hope, we'd be a LOT more forgiving. But it is what it is. 4 more years. I hate to say it but if 2 straight NITs meant we'd move on to the future that much sooner, I'll sign up for that right now. I know the replacement could bomb but we have to cross that bridge because the status quo is not the answer.
The bolded is where I am, and it sucks. There is no hope. Looking backward, Boeheim is an absolute legend. Looking forward, he's a liability - in recruiting, in development, in program vision and strategy. The program is stale and outdated and will continue to be so as long as Boeheim hangs on. There's no hope in bringing in an outside perspective - we have a staff made up entirely of guys who came up under Boeheim, and he won't shake up his staff. There's no hope in forced change - it is clear Boeheim is the most powerful guy in the athletic department. I won't say no hope, but I have dwindling hope in the decision makers who will choose the next Syracuse coach. It needs to be an outside hire, and there are some headwinds for any proven, quality coach who might be interested.

So what is left? Ugly, outdated basketball. We have to lead the country in long range two pointers, the most inefficient shot in basketball. There seems to be no awareness by the staff of how a steady diet of such shots will make you lose. Players just don't improve like they used to for decades in the program.

I'm perfectly fine with off seasons or the occasional downturn. It is part of fandom and the inexact science of getting players. But the underlying fundamental structures of the program are very unhealthy, and it sucks that the only realistic hope year in and year out now is to hopefully limp to the bubble, get a favorable draw, and surprise some teams caught off guard by the zone.

You’re more than welcome to jump ship and root for the Gators.
The point is... what are we doing here? It's groundhog's day every year with this program. Are things just going to magically get better with the same coach, same style and same recruits?

As for Florida.. freakin Mike White, in the SEC, is able to land two 5 stars in one cycle. Syracuse, in the ACC, can't even land a 5 star from our own backyard anymore.

Boeheim wont change. Our style won't change. So, we need the players to change. But all I see is a typical Syracuse recruiting class as of late that includes some decent prospects at SG/SF, no skilled Center and no true PG aka, the two things plaguing us for years now.

Fair enough.

Goodine looks great in highlights to me. Crazy athlete with a pure shot, it seems. But who knows.

I almost don't even want athletic guys at this point, I just want basketball players. Goodine looks solid, but Carey looked better than him in high school, and just seeing our track record with freshman, he'll show up and not be ready and we'll start playing the "next year" game like we do with every other freshman that's come outside of Ennis the past 8 years or so.

I'll expect the worst and hope for the best.

I almost don't even want athletic guys at this point, I just want basketball players. Goodine looks solid, but Carey looked better than him in high school, and just seeing our track record with freshman, he'll show up and not be ready and we'll start playing the "next year" game like we do with every other freshman that's come outside of Ennis the past 8 years or so.

I'll expect the worst and hope for the best.

I personally have much higher expectations for Goodine than I did for Carey. He’s a pure shooter and much more bouncy than Carey.

I hear you on the “basketball player” thing tho. You can only have so many Robersons, Chukwu’s etc before it becomes apparent that we need ppl who can do the basic stuff.

The weird thing is we finally have shooters on this squad, however we have nobody able to break down the defense and kick out, nor a post player to throw the ball into and pass out off help defense.

Agree 100%. Having nobody with the ability to be a post threat, or anyone with the ability to drive past defenders and force the defense to react, renders our offense one-dimensional and easily defended.

The weird thing is we finally have shooters on this squad, however we have nobody able to break down the defense and kick out, nor a post player to throw the ball into and pass out off help defense.
It totally wrecks our system.

Heck even forth and McNeil could catch a pass and form somewhat of a threat to make the defense have to work

Just for the record, Sherman Douglas played in 27 games as freshman, averaging 11.4 minutes, 5.4 points, 2.1 assists on 61.3% shooting.
That is how I remember it. He got more assists on average in 11 minutes than our point guard got the whole game vs NCS. Is it true that the General failed to get on his HS frosh team?

The point is... what are we doing here? It's groundhog's day every year with this program. Are things just going to magically get better with the same coach, same style and same recruits?

As for Florida.. freakin Mike White, in the SEC, is able to land two 5 stars in one cycle. Syracuse, in the ACC, can't even land a 5 star from our own backyard anymore.

Boeheim wont change. Our style won't change. So, we need the players to change. But all I see is a typical Syracuse recruiting class as of late that includes some decent prospects at SG/SF, no skilled Center and no true PG aka, the two things plaguing us for years now.

First off, leftytg 's post is exactly where I stand. And I get your question.

But here's where it gets more depressing: it's probably going to get worse from here.

We're not hiring another Boeheim. Because there have only been about a dozen guys like Boeheim in the history of the game and the statistical likelihood of finding another is virtually zero.

So maybe they throw around many millions and land a Mike White. And he recruits some 5 stars. Fanfkingtastic, now we get to root for 5 stars some years and 13-11 teams in other years.

Boeheim is coaching an unwatchable style of basketball right now. It's disappointing because he presided over very entertaining basketball for 30+ years. And through it all, his down years still have over 20 wins and at most 14 losses. His successor probably won't match that standard, and I'm guessing most of us won't like that.

First off, leftytg 's post is exactly where I stand. And I get your question.

But here's where it gets more depressing: it's probably going to get worse from here.

We're not hiring another Boeheim. Because there have only been about a dozen guys like Boeheim in the history of the game and the statistical likelihood of finding another is virtually zero.

So maybe they throw around many millions and land a Mike White. And he recruits some 5 stars. Fanfkingtastic, now we get to root for 5 stars some years and 13-11 teams in other years.

Boeheim is coaching an unwatchable style of basketball right now. It's disappointing because he presided over very entertaining basketball for 30+ years. And through it all, his down years still have over 20 wins and at most 14 losses. His successor probably won't match that standard, and I'm guessing most of us won't like that.
Mike White is actually on the hot seat. This incoming recruiting class is the only thing buying him another year to get the program going.

When it's time I hope we go with someone with no ties to the program. We need to pull the band aid completely off
You KNOW that’s not how this university will handle that situation. It’s going to be someone with ties to the university, they very highly likely will have played for Syracuse.

You KNOW that’s not how this university will handle that situation. It’s going to be someone with ties to the university, they very highly likely will have played for Syracuse.
No, I don't know they will use the approach you describe Didn't seem to use that approach when they hired Babers

When it's time I hope we go with someone with no ties to the program. We need to pull the band aid completely off
If that's what we have to do then so be it, but I think many of us were hoping for some continuity by having Hop be the bridge from the past to the future. If it's anyone else, it's going to be sooooo weird to get used to. On a different note, the basketball team needs to give us something to be excited about - soon. We can't keep recycling and rehashing JB's retirement for the next 4 years. We'll all go bats-t crazy. I was never a big JB supporter but even I never wanted to see his tenure end like this. Turn the ship around, JB!

Last edited:
No, I don't know they will use the approach you describe Didn't seem to use that approach when they hired Babers

First, there is no one on the football side that approaches the clout and influence that JB has. He is the most powerful person in that AD.

Second it would not surprise me to seen JB force the Uniersitys hand by abruptly retiring in October, and therefore virtually guaranteeing that his guy gets the job, at least short term.

First, there is no one on the football side that approaches the clout and influence that JB has. He is the most powerful person in that AD.

Second it would not surprise me to seen JB force the Uniersitys hand by abruptly retiring in October, and therefore virtually guaranteeing that his guy gets the job, at least short term.

Certainly he is the power in the AD but does that give him the clout to name his successor? And does he lose that power if he pulls the plug without warning as in your second scenario?

Certainly he is the power in the AD but does that give him the clout to name his successor? And does he lose that power if he pulls the plug without warning as in your second scenario?

I mean if he leaves right before the season the AD won’t have time to conduct a search. It would be easier and safer to promote Red or Gmac with a short term contract.

Totally different we weren’t replacing a long tenured coach - let’s refer to coach mac, because that’s the most similar scenario. What happened when he left? Replaced by coach P who was an assistant. It will be some connection to Syracuse, the next head coach.

Totally different we weren’t replacing a long tenured coach - let’s refer to coach mac, because that’s the most similar scenario. What happened when he left? Replaced by coach P who was an assistant. It will be some connection to Syracuse, the next head coach.
What's also totally different is a different chancellor, a different athletic director and, probably several members of the board of governors. Are the hiring practices so ingrained as to be sacrosanct?
You may be right as to how it turns out but I wouldn't take it for granted.
I guess I can what until it happens to find out.

I don't see any candidate with the ties to the program who has the qualifications to be given the job, except Hopkins. Hopefully the AD has learned a little bit from what it went through trying to replace P and restore the football program. Lots of mistakes there.

There is little margin for error in hiring a coach at this level so you darn well better hire someone that you are pretty confident can do the job. You may not be right, but you certainly don't want to be wrong with a candidate that you settled for.

We aren’t going to be stupid enough to hand the keys to GMac.
I refuse to believe Wildhack will do that.
Short of the real high donors think the poster who has the auditorium at Newhouse demanding it and I don’t think those level donors get involved in coaching hires to the degree we believe I don’t see Wildhack giving the keys to GMac.
If GMac gets hired without any HC experience then the fanbase will become even more splintered.
Autry has to be pick if it’s a current staff member.
If it’s not a current staff member we have to do the obligatory offer and courtesy to Mike Hopkins.
Have him decline. Then go after the best coach we can find.
When JB steps down he will want a say ... a huge say... in who takes over. And my guess is he goes to bat for Red. This admin is not going to go outside for a big $$ hire so they will stay internal. Then when things go downhill for a couple seasons they will move to remake the program. i just don't see Red as a strong enough leader to run this program. That's just my guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom