What are we even looking forward to? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What are we even looking forward to?

I mean if he leaves right before the season the AD won’t have time to conduct a search. It would be easier and safer to promote Red or Gmac with a short term contract.
JB would not leave one of his assistants twisting in the wind.

You KNOW that’s not how this university will handle that situation. It’s going to be someone with ties to the university, they very highly likely will have played for Syracuse.

Well, I'm sorry but if Wildhack allows that to happen, it's freaking Athletic Director malpractice. We cannot hire a first time coach for this job. Just look at the football program for perspective. Hire a proven head coach.

If that's what we have to do then so be it, but I think many of us were hoping for some continuity by having Hop be the bridge from the past to the future. If it's anyone else, it's going to be sooooo weird to get used to. On a different note, the basketball team needs to give us something to be excited about - soon. We can't keep recycling and rehashing JB's retirement for the next 4 years. We'll all go bats-t crazy. I was never a big JB supporter but even I never wanted to see his tenure end like this. Turn the ship around, JB!

Hop was the best assistant we've had in 20 years. The new guys are not even close, or we would be recruiting a lot better, we would have a functional point guard and a center who can dunk and finish at the rim.

First, there is no one on the football side that approaches the clout and influence that JB has. He is the most powerful person in that AD.

Second it would not surprise me to seen JB force the Uniersitys hand by abruptly retiring in October, and therefore virtually guaranteeing that his guy gets the job, at least short term.

Yeah, cuz that worked out so well for UConn.

Totally different we weren’t replacing a long tenured coach - let’s refer to coach mac, because that’s the most similar scenario. What happened when he left? Replaced by coach P who was an assistant. It will be some connection to Syracuse, the next head coach.

In light of how attendance, on court performance and watchability have all taken a big hit these last 5 years or so, this would be a terrible decision. It would be like Pasqualoni leaving and then hiring George DeLeone to be the head coach.

First, there is no one on the football side that approaches the clout and influence that JB has. He is the most powerful person in that AD.

Second it would not surprise me to seen JB force the Uniersitys hand by abruptly retiring in October, and therefore virtually guaranteeing that his guy gets the job, at least short term.
I could def see that happening. Bo Ryan basically did that, though his situation turned out to be a bit more, ahem, complicated, something that was revealed later.

I mean it did for a minute!

But don’t you think UConn’s issues are more...systemic?

I don't think hiring from the staff of a retiring legend is a good idea.
Didn't work for North Carolina.

UConn got lucky because they stopped calling traveling on Kemba Walker for a month as the refs gave him the Michael Jordan treatment.

I guess I'll respond. It's tough after a loss. But the season is not over. Still need to see how this season plays out. But I'm still looking forward to, and rooting for, JB to bring SU bball back to the place he has had it for most of his tenure. And it looks like he is still on track, even though there was this short term setback.

This team is still better than last years team. Pretty much everyone came back and added Hughes, Buddy, and JC. Most people were looking forward to this season.

SU is getting back to stacking players better now. The guards are going to have depth JC/Buddy/Goodine/JG3 and maybe A Jackson even further out. Forwards stacking too, OB/Marek then Eli with potential of Bras, And QG looks to be a stud.

Center needs work (missing IS hurt). But it's not over yet. Will be interesting to see how it works out - can they get PC back? Add a top 100 in Tre Mitchell? Get a grad like Nathan Knight? I don't think JB/SU is done at center yet.

There are posters here looking forward to things, and that does not include JB's retirement.

UConn got lucky because they stopped calling traveling on Kemba Walker for a month as the refs gave him the Michael Jordan treatment.

I don’t want us to hire Red or Gmac, but I feel like that’s how this movie is going to end.

I don’t want us to hire Red or Gmac, but I feel like that’s how this movie is going to end.
The AD could just let JB’s contract expire if he wanted to leverage not giving an assistant the job.
Wildhack knows JB’s contract length.
Zagoria has said the contract runs the 2021-2022.
Which would lineup with Buddy’s Senior year.
We can keep the contract length confidential if he give him a phony extension but Wildhack should know he needs a new coach for basketball for the 2022-2023 season and thus not allowing JB to retire late in October and force his assistant on the job.

That opinion sells our AD considerably short, in my opinion.

That opinion sells our AD considerably short, in my opinion.

I’m probably discounting John Wildhack sure.

I think it’s going to be the biggest challenge of his tenure though.

I guess I'll respond. It's tough after a loss. But the season is not over. Still need to see how this season plays out. But I'm still looking forward to, and rooting for, JB to bring SU bball back to the place he has had it for most of his tenure. And it looks like he is still on track, even though there was this short term setback.

This team is still better than last years team. Pretty much everyone came back and added Hughes, Buddy, and JC. Most people were looking forward to this season.

SU is getting back to stacking players better now. The guards are going to have depth JC/Buddy/Goodine/JG3 and maybe A Jackson even further out. Forwards stacking too, OB/Marek then Eli with potential of Bras, And QG looks to be a stud.

Center needs work (missing IS hurt). But it's not over yet. Will be interesting to see how it works out - can they get PC back? Add a top 100 in Tre Mitchell? Get a grad like Nathan Knight? I don't think JB/SU is done at center yet.

There are posters here looking forward to things, and that does not include JB's retirement.

Ahhh...you do realize he is 74, no? Gonna coach forever?

Ahhh...you do realize he is 74, no? Gonna coach forever?
I was thinking JB would stay through Buddy's time on the hill. My hope is JB rights the ship before leaving. I'm still hoping this year has some pleasant surprises left and is a step in the right direction.

I would enjoy seeing that.

Some are waiting for the Great Pumpkin(another upstate NY beer, btw), some are Waiting For Godot.
Me? Well, I'm just trying to pull an Eckhart Tolle.

ch11.jpg

In light of how attendance, on court performance and watchability have all taken a big hit these last 5 years or so, this would be a terrible decision. It would be like Pasqualoni leaving and then hiring George DeLeone to be the head coach.
I do not disagree with what you’re saying, I will just be surprised if that in fact happens is all

I’m probably discounting John Wildhack sure.

I think it’s going to be the biggest challenge of his tenure though.

A career-defining decision, to be sure.

A career-defining decision, to be sure.
I just hope he does what he wants for replacing JB.
Wildhack hasn’t hired a football or basketball coach yet.
He inherited Dino and had to extend JB when Hop left.
The Dome renovation has been slow as molasses until recently we got a hard date.
The ACC money has to have the AD well in the black.

I’ll tell you what...if this was PlayStation 2 and I was running “dynasty mode”, I’d be simulating the rest of this regular season, right until selection Sunday.

So...”not the games”, would be my answer.

I’ll tell you what...if this was PlayStation 2 and I was running “dynasty mode”, I’d be simulating the rest of this regular season, right until selection Sunday.

So...”not the games”, would be my answer.
How dare you have the gaul to want to be entertained watching your team play basketball.

Kemba' run was 2011 with Calhoun.

We have 'different' to look forward to. Just to see what the new kids can do. Goodine and the Canuck are interesting players with potential. Who knows? We hope for a positive surprise. We hope for development. Buddy is already far ahead of what any rational fan expected. Carey showed early good stuff, and i kinda think he's going to make a major jump. If he doesn't transfer... Remember when we had Pearl, and Sherm was the backup? I remember vividly as a freshman, laughing with my friends when Sherm got a few minutes, because he looked so bad. And we feared what we'd be left with without Pearl. And Sherm shocked the heck out of us. I didn't know what we were getting with John Wallace. I didn't expect Carmelo to be all world in his first year. That's the fun of recruits.

We are facing a very real problem in that i expect recruiting to take one step backward with each year that Buddy advances. As the expectation of JB's retirement approaches, all that happens is that we grow uncertainty. Not good, especially with our being branded 'mediocre' and 'bubble' these last four years. And four years is really all a high schooler knows.

Next year might be another year like this. Actually, it's probable it'll be another year like this. But, whaddyagonnado? We're married to the program and there are no annulments.
I was there in 86, I was an SU junior. Sherm's freshman year. You are so wrong. He did not play much behind Pearl but he was very good when he played in garbage time. When Pearl went to the NBA there was optimism about Sherm because he looked good in the his limited time. I wrote a story about it for a Dome game program as a stringer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom