What coaches are really feasible? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What coaches are really feasible?

Agree with CTO... Hopkins is our next coach but just for fun...
A young upcoming coach who comes from great coaching pedegree...

University of Tennessee Chattanooga men's basketball coach Matt McCall. Got his start with Billy Donovan at Florida and worked his way up to assistant coach and after Donovan's departure he was offered the head job at UTC. He took his team to the dance last year and he is a brilliant student of the game and is adored by his players. It is only a matter of time before he is offered a head coaching job at a big time Basketball school.

I like the idea of getting a young innovative coach who could guide the program into the future.

Agree with CTO... Hopkins is our next coach but just for fun...
A young upcoming coach who comes from great coaching pedegree...

University of Tennessee Chattanooga men's basketball coach Matt McCall. Got his start with Billy Donovan at Florida and worked his way up to assistant coach and after Donovan's departure he was offered the head job at UTC. He took his team to the dance last year and he is a brilliant student of the game and is adored by his players. It is only a matter of time before he is offered a head coaching job at a big time Basketball school.

I like the idea of getting a young innovative coach who could guide the program into the futureI.

Yeah, a guy like... Mike Hopkins. ;)

If JB coaches next year and we give Mike 3-4 years and he flops, there will be a whole new group of 'hot' coaches to talk about, including guys we've never heard of as of now. Who had ever heard of Dino Babers 4-5 years ago?

I at first thought the thread was a little questionable, too, and I see how some are thinking its over the top. But, I think it gives people a chance to suggest styles that Hopkins can emulate, a chance to show where we want to go. I think we all like to chip in on coaches that would be acceptable, only because there are some we don't individually find acceptable. Its hard with Hopkins, because we don't really know his style. I guess I'd like to think of it as a question of what we'd like our next coach to be like, or what we'd like Hopkins to be like, if he's not like Jim Boeheim.

I think it was actually, in a way, a thread about who we don't want as coach, because anyone not mentioned, may not be wanted. Since we've only had one coach, we're all afraid of change.
Thank you. I am totally behind Hop and actually do believe he will be here a long time! This thread is just a discussion to identify the qualities we would look for and who is actually feasible. Just a discussion- that's all! I'm as Orange as any of you and somehow have been labeled as a hater. Not so- don't care but what begins as an innocent thread becomes so personally upsetting to many is pathetic. What is the average age in this site?

If JB coaches next year and we give Mike 3-4 years and he flops, there will be a whole new group of 'hot' coaches to talk about, including guys we've never heard of as of now. Who had ever heard of Dino Babers 4-5 years ago?

Lots of people, actually. Just not many in Upstate New York.

But your main point is dead on. We have no idea what the landscape will look like in 4-5 years (assuming the world isn't a smoldering ember).

Last edited:
all of the coaches mentioned above (even dino) have head coach experience. collins and miller already have 200 wins between them.

Really have to love a poster who is all about Hop, yet lining up his succesor.

That screams credibility to me.

But don't worry OP, people have your back.

All right guys. The Boeheim Police is here. Better shut it down.

Since this thread has nothing to do with JB, your attempt at humor seems wide of the mark.

I take pride in being able to challenge the crowd of critics and self-proclaimed experts on here that hide behind the guise of "It's a fan's right to criticize".

Most of this is. I think, people who cannot control their frustration and sense of entitlement. I never thought I would agree with Buzz Shaw on anything, but in this case, "Get a life" does seem appropriate.

Since this thread has nothing to do with JB, your attempt at humor seems wide of the mark.

I take pride in being able to challenge the crowd of critics and self-proclaimed experts on here that hide behind the guise of "It's a fan's right to criticize".

Most of this is. I think, people who cannot control their frustration and sense of entitlement. I never thought I would agree with Buzz Shaw on anything, but in this case, "Get a life" does seem appropriate.

Assuming that Hop doesn't pan out, I'd like us to take a run at Archie Miller. Andy Enfield seems to have USC on the right track, but who knows if he would come back across the country after moving from Florida to Cali a relatively short while ago.

My dream scenario is Donovan becomes available just as we're looking.

Assuming that Hop doesn't pan out, I'd like us to take a run at Archie Miller. Andy Enfield seems to have USC on the right track, but who knows if he would come back across the country after moving from Florida to Cali a relatively short while ago.

My dream scenario is Donovan becomes available just as we're looking.

Living in the DC area, where the Redskins dominate the sports world 12 months a year, I have watched an owner with very deep pockets go through a whole list of "hot" coaching prospects. Each came in with the right kind of resume and the right kind of attitude to be successful. Snider even resurrected Joe Gibbs.

The lesson I draw from this is that coaching changes are a huge crap shoot. Success in one place certainly doesn't translate to another place. In fact, these new coaches that are supposed to be the saviors, rarely are.

Most fans on here, it seems to me, have a wildly-inflated view of the attractiveness of SU as a coaching destination and the achievability of success at SU. And at the same time they greatly under-value what the Big East and JB did to get the program to where it got.

Living in the DC area, where the Redskins dominate the sports world 12 months a year, I have watched an owner with very deep pockets go through a whole list of "hot" coaching prospects. Each came in with the right kind of resume and the right kind of attitude to be successful. Snider even resurrected Joe Gibbs.

The lesson I draw from this is that coaching changes are a huge crap shoot. Success in one place certainly doesn't translate to another place. In fact, these new coaches that are supposed to be the saviors, rarely are.

Most fans on here, it seems to me, have a wildly-inflated view of the attractiveness of SU as a coaching destination and the achievability of success at SU. And at the same time they greatly under-value what the Big East and JB did to get the program to where it got.

It's Hop's job. They guy has been in the program for almost 30 years (yikes)...and knows every advantage and pitfall we have. If he doesn't pan out we're gonna have a bigger problem.

It's Hop's job. They guy has been in the program for almost 30 years (yikes)...and knows every advantage and pitfall we have. If he doesn't pan out we're gonna have a bigger problem.

Exactly. And every SU fan ought to be very much invested in this working. Because if it doesn't, then things could get very dicey.

Unless, of course, you think we can hire whoever we want because of the innate attractiveness of the job. And that we can afford to weather a period in which we are a middle of the pack ACC team for a number of years. (Which is what we are right now after improving significantly in the past few games. I came away from the WFU game thinking that these were two pretty evenly matched teams. We are what Wake is. an average ACC team. We may have a little more upside if the team can continue to play better together)

A Georgetown fan was on here a few weeks ago asking about how we felt about leaving the Big East and suggesting that had been a mistake. He was, of course, shouted down. "We had no choice" we said.

But as you look at where SU, GU and UConn are today (not Villanova, of course), you might start to think that much of SU's rise was due to the rise of the Big East in visibility, in popularity and in the amazing improvement in the top teams. And that SU in the ACC doesn't have that necessary touch of Big East magic.

Exactly. And every SU fan ought to be very much invested in this working. Because if it doesn't, then things could get very dicey.

Unless, of course, you think we can hire whoever we want because of the innate attractiveness of the job. And that we can afford to weather a period in which we are a middle of the pack ACC team for a number of years. (Which is what we are right now after improving significantly in the past few games. I came away from the WFU game thinking that these were two pretty evenly matched teams. We are what Wake is. an average ACC team. We may have a little more upside if the team can continue to play better together)

A Georgetown fan was on here a few weeks ago asking about how we felt about leaving the Big East and suggesting that had been a mistake. He was, of course, shouted down. "We had no choice" we said.

But as you look at where SU, GU and UConn are today (not Villanova, of course), you might start to think that much of SU's rise was due to the rise of the Big East in visibility, in popularity and in the amazing improvement in the top teams. And that SU in the ACC doesn't have that necessary touch of Big East magic.

SU's rise was about the coach as much as the conference. UConn is sunk long term because their conference situation isn't viable. GU could get back with a good coach but you know the traps in that one.

We have the conference and the facilities, hopefully Hop is the coach.

two camps here really . those who say " trust us he's been an asst. here forever" and those who say "show us the proven HC resume".

SU's rise was about the coach as much as the conference. UConn is sunk long term because their conference situation isn't viable. GU could get back with a good coach but you know the traps in that one.

We have the conference and the facilities, hopefully Hop is the coach.

We could argue about how much was Boeheim and how much was The Big East, but clearly they both contributed to the meteoric rise of the SU program. SU basketball benefited tremendously from Big Monday and Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin coming from being a "Regional" player (if that) to a National one.

But the $64 question is whether SU is as attractive a program without its position in the Big East.

Our woes the last few seasons (players leaving for the NBA and this team that has not yet jelled) may be just a temporary down cycle. But these programs are fragile. Once they start going down, it's very hard to reverse the slide.

two camps here really . those who say " trust us he's been an asst. here forever" and those who say "show us the proven HC resume".

Or:

Camp 1 - Stability and Continuity Camp. Same "known quantity" people and likely the same system.

Camp 2 - Revolutionary Camp - New coach, new staff, new system.

The Revolutionary Camp may get its shot, but only if and when Hopkins fails. Barring some unforeseen event, Hop will be the next coach. The Athletic Department and the University have been saying this for years.

"But the $64 question is whether SU is as attractive a program without its position in the Big East."

collins, miller and babers were new hires for northwestern , dayton and bowling green respectively. do you honestly believe the SYRACUSE university basketball program today holds less cachet than those programs ? are the mid majors now our peers ?

We could argue about how much was Boeheim and how much was The Big East, but clearly they both contributed to the meteoric rise of the SU program. SU basketball benefited tremendously from Big Monday and Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin coming from being a "Regional" player (if that) to a National one.

But the $64 question is whether SU is as attractive a program without its position in the Big East.

Our woes the last few seasons (players leaving for the NBA and this team that has not yet jelled) may be just a temporary down cycle. But these programs are fragile. Once they start going down, it's very hard to reverse the slide.

I think the brand just needs to be refreshed a bit and hopefully Hop makes it happen. We need to modernize the Dome and get with the program with what the other top programs are doing in regards to player intros, razzle-dazzle, atmosphere, etc. It matters. It also isn't fair to not list recruiting misses and lack of player development as well the past three-four years. Everyone is ripping into Michigan St but it is not like they haven't been consistently VERY good on the court the past few years. Excellent whole body of work. Prior to last year at worst was Sweet 16 with a F4 in 2015 and it's only been Duke, Louisville, or UConn they have lost to besides the MTSU game since 2012. Now Syracuse has not been playing well as a whole since the immaculate Ennis team tailspin. We've been mostly mediocre in terms of whole body of work, consistency, etc. You can have it both ways. Yes it was an amazing F4 run with some big time breaks and some luck on our side, but, it doesn't mean we shouldn't crtique how the team has performed the past three years or so as a whole. It has been middle-of-the-pack ACC quality. A team that has been offensively challenged for at least three years. A program that hasn't been able to find a suitable PG in four recruiting classes now. Let's not forget that Ennis was a good player but not some John Wall type of talent. You should listen to Francis's last pod. It illustrates quite a bit of the issues, the whiffs by the staff, lack of player development, etc. Then again it might be too hard to soak in some honest truths and revelations. I've posted a few times about all the early NBA draft entrees Arizona has sustained as well. Even Louisville to some degree. Arizona especially. Lottery picks galore. They have been blending in new players all these years and have been remarkably solid as a whole. In fact, one could argue they are playing the best ball in the country. They haven't lost since Dec 2 in fact.

So, with the refreshing the brand a bit to make Syracuse bball exciting again (offensively mostly) comes picking up the recruiting, obviously. I have a feeling Hop has a good plan. Apparently all zone 100% will be finally gone and can't come any sooner. The ACC is extremely exciting and a benefit for us. Hopefully he will get things straightened out sooner than later.

Last edited:
"But the $64 question is whether SU is as attractive a program without its position in the Big East."

collins, miller and babers were new hires for northwestern , dayton and bowling green respectively. do you honestly believe the SYRACUSE university basketball program today holds less cachet than those programs ? are the mid majors now our peers ?

My view is that SU getting one of the current Top 20 coaches to switch from their good situation to take on a new challenge is ridiculous. Talk of Tony Bennett or Mark Few or Jay Wright is pie-in-the-sky.

I see us realistically getting a guy like Mark Turgeon was when he went to Maryland (from Texas A&M and Wichita State). Texas A&M isn't technically a Mid-Major, but Wichita State is, I think. And I don't think that a Mid-Major coach is out of the question for SU.

We would only be doing this if Hop fails. So who would want to come in here in a turn-around situation who had some other choices of where to go.

I think the brand just needs to be refreshed a bit and hopefully Hop makes it happen. We need to modernize the Dome and get with the program with what the other top programs are doing with the player intros, razzle-dazzle, etc. It matters. It also isn't fair to not list recruiting misses and lack of player development as well the past three-four years. Everyone is ripping into Michigan St but it is not like they haven't been consistently VERY good on the court the past few years. Excellent whole body of work. Prior to last year at worst was Sweet 16 with a F4 in 2015 and it's only been Duke, Louisville, or UConn they have lost to besides the MTSU game since 2012. Now Syracuse has not been playing well as a whole since the immaculate Ennis team tailspin. We've been mostly mediocre in terms of whole body of work, consistency, etc. You can have it both ways. Yes it was an amazing F4 run with some big time breaks and some luck on our side, but, it doesn't mean we shouldn't crtique how the team has performed the past three years or so as a whole. It has been middle-of-the-pack ACC quality. A team that has been offensively challenged for at least three years. A program that hasn't been able to find a suitable PG in four recruiting classes now. Let's not forget that Ennis was a good player but not some John Wall type of talent. You should listen to Francis's last pod. It illustrates quite a bit of the issues, the whiffs by the staff, lack of player development, etc. Then again it might be too hard to soak in some honest truths and revelations. I've posted a few times about all the early NBA draft entrees Arizona has sustained as well. Even Louisville to some degree. Arizona especially. Lottery picks galore. They have been blending in new players all these years and have been remarkably solid as a whole. In fact, one could argue they are playing the best ball in the country. They haven't lost since Dec 2 in fact.

So, with the refreshing the brand a bit to make Syracuse bball exciting again (offensively mostly) comes picking up the recruiting, obviously. I have a feeling Hop has a good plan. Apparently all zone 100% will be finally gone and can't come any sooner. The ACC is extremely exciting and a benefit for us. Hopefully he will get things straightened out sooner than later.

Yet another one who doesn't agree with the value of All Zone All the Time. When we go away from that, we look like every other team out there. Our advantage is gone.

Being more aggressive offensively sounds like a an attempt to please the fans. But you have to have the players to do that.

No offense, but your recommendations sound like a veritable recipe for disaster. And all the hype --- razzle dazzle and player intros --- are tawdry and embarrassing in my opinion. Make SU look like minor league hockey. We need to be dignified like UNC.

Yet another one who doesn't agree with the value of All Zone All the Time. When we go away from that, we look like every other team out there. Our advantage is gone.

Being more aggressive offensively sounds like a an attempt to please the fans. But you have to have the players to do that.

No offense, but your recommendations sound like a veritable recipe for disaster. And all the hype --- razzle dazzle and player intros --- are tawdry and embarrassing in my opinion. Make SU look like minor league hockey. We need to be dignified like UNC.

And the other thing - we aren't losing lottery picks - we are losing D league and 2nd rounders. Of course a team that has lottery picks will do better. We're losing kids a year or two before they should realistically jump.

Is this a serious post? Recruits like to have fun. So you want Hopkins to be JB 2.0? Our program has only been identified by the zone in recent years. We used to be identified by the Dome and exciting, fast-paced full court frenetic basketball. We need to get recruits. The game has evolved. Do you want us to update our facilities, or should we keep them the same so that they're not too razzle dazzle? You apparently have no clue about modern basketball and what recruits are looking for. Maybe we should go back to short shorts and wooden backboards?

Tomorrow is 80's day at the Dome. Instead of the awful 80's fashions, I hope they highlight the exciting players of that era: the Pearls, the Colemans, the Generals, who along with JB and the Carrier Dome, gave this program its identity. Those teams were fun to watch and the zone had nothing to do with that excitement.

SoBe nailed it.

There was at least one poster who wrote up a UNC trip report on here. The poster was jealous of UNCs player intros, the atmosphere, energy, etc. Ours is stale like it or not.

All zone all the time is not going to get us the elite recruits. Why the hell would they want to be in that kind of system as a preparation for the NBA, lol? Brace yourself since the change IS coming.

Last edited: