What do the 2013-2014 Syracuse Orange look like roster wise | Syracusefan.com

What do the 2013-2014 Syracuse Orange look like roster wise

Alsacs

Living Legend
James Southerland, Brandon Triche will graduate and Michael Carter-Williams will probably declare for the NBA Draft. I know we have Tyler Ennis and Tyler Roberson as Freshman, and Michael Gbinije as a transfer what will the roster look like. I follow Football recruiting religiously, but honestly don't know much about our basketball recruits except Ennis and Roberson. I believe Cooney will improve just like Andy Rautins who wasn't asked to contribute as much as a Freshman as Cooney was. We wasted 3 scholarships this year on walkons which may help the APR, but didn't help with depth. Gbinije and the 8 players we have used are all we used scholarships on.
2013-2014 breakdown
Gs- Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije, ???
Fs- Fair, Grant, Christmas, Roberson, ???
Cs- Coleman, Keita, ???
If anybody can fill-in the holes I would be thankful.

James Southerland, Brandon Triche will graduate and Michael Carter-Williams will probably declare for the NBA Draft. I know we have Tyler Ennis and Tyler Roberson as Freshman, and Michael Gbinije as a transfer what will the roster look like. I follow Football recruiting religiously, but honestly don't know much about our basketball recruits except Ennis and Roberson. I believe Cooney will improve just like Andy Rautins who wasn't asked to contribute as much as a Freshman as Cooney was. We wasted 3 scholarships this year on walkons which may help the APR, but didn't help with depth. Gbinije and the 8 players we have used are all we used scholarships on.
2013-2014 breakdown
Gs- Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije, ???
Fs- Fair, Grant, Christmas, Roberson, ???
Cs- Coleman, Keita, ???
If anybody can fill-in the holes I would be thankful.
Bolded are freshman.

G - Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije, Patterson
F - Fair, Grant, Roberson, Johnson
C - Christmas, Coleman, Keita, Obokoh

Edit: Here are the commits - http://syracuse.247sports.com/Season/2013-Basketball/Commits

It's not going to be pretty. I am expecting a really down year next year which can be expected. You can't continually lose players early to the draft and continue to compete at an elite level . Look at kentcky and unc as examples of this . We should have some very good seasons and some ones we just have to grind out. I have a feeling next year may be one of those . It's just unfortunate we when he had out chances we had to deal with arinzes injury and fabs suspension

Here's a completely speculative shot in the dark at next seasons starters.

PG - Ennis (If MCW leaves this is a lock)
SG - Cooney (Gbinije if Cooney doesn't improve)
SF - Roberson ( )
PF - Fair (Lock to start at either F)
C - Christmas (Coleman if Christmas leaves early)

SF - Roberson ( )

There is no way grant doesn't start . I don't think Roberson will get many minutes .

MCW may leave but he aint going to the NBA - wait until scouts have everything updated - he's basically out of a lottery pick now - once a closer look is done it will be obvious he is too slow and too weak for the NBA - successful PG's are blazing quick with insane handles - his handle is below average and he's alarmingly very slow - maybe he wants to play overseas but I would imagine once he sees where he is projected to go he will come back which we need

SF - Roberson ( )
Coleman isn't leaving early he wouldn't even get drafted right now. He has potential, but his conditioning will scare off NBA teams he needs to go through the offseason condition program that Fab Melo did and lose 30 lbs like Melo and if he improves his defense he could be a 1st round pick next year. Also, Grant will start over Roberson JB is always loyal to returning players unless they have NBA talent. I think the starting lineup is Ennis, Cooney, Grant, Fair, Coleman.

Ugh, next year looks to be a down year. We'll be relying on a freshman at the point and with a few exceptions that's usually a bad thing. I have high hopes for Gbinije but my hopes have been dashed in the past (this year). Still no real big guy to anchor the zone. Forward looks good though.

SF - Roberson ( )

If Cooney gets any minutes next year it will be the start of a serious decline in out program - he is a DIII talent

Where is Christmas going? he's got somewhere to be?

If MCW declares for the NBA (and I know he will), I will probably will regard him similarly to how I do Donte Green. Two players who left when staying another year could be so beneficial for their game.

If Cooney gets any minutes next year it will be the start of a serious decline in out program - he is a DIII talent

Dude lay off Cooney. He is a rFr. he isn't what he will be a Sr. Scoop, Rautins, Joseph almost everybody has struggled as Freshman outside of Carmelo, GMac, Flynn the kid will be a player by improving. He was thrown into the fire this year he should have been the 4th guard this year like MCW last year, but instead he was thrusted into the 3rd guard slot and he has struggled, but don't give up on him yet.

If MCW declares for the NBA (and I know he will), I will probably will regard him similarly to how I do Donte Green. Two players who left when staying another year could be so beneficial for their game.
MCW is 21 years old, he would be 22 next year, and will get paid next year and another in college won't help him. Professional coaching will help him develop faster than another year of college ball. We need to take our Orange color glasses off. I would love for all our guys to stay selfishly, but MCW should go he will be a top 15 pick and get paid thank him and move on. If Donte Green had it over again I bet he would have stayed 1 more year, but a lot of us thought he was a 1 and done when he signed in 2006 if he knew he would fall to the mid 20's he would have come back we need to support our kids and thank them. The NCAA makes millions of dollars on these kids and they get very little if I could have left SU or law school early your damn I would have if I could get paid a lot of money to take care of my family.

DIII talent?

He has not shot well but dude, get real. DIII talent is no better than a walk on.

I dont think next year will be a down year. Yeah our guard play is still in question but cooney is only going to get better. I have no idea about Ennis or Gjinije. C.J. Fair has potential to be a first or second team all American and if Rakeem and Coleman get it together they could be a more athletic RJ A.O. combo. With Grant and Keita and probably Cooney off the bench that team could be really good, but it depends if certain players develop.

Next year we will have the same problems that this years team has if Rak and DC don't develop into low post scorers, Grant doesn't develop a 3pt jump shot and can Ennis,Gbinje and Cooney shoot the basketball

It's not going to be pretty. I am expecting a really down year next year which can be expected. You can't continually lose players early to the draft and continue to compete at an elite level . Look at kentcky and unc as examples of this . We should have some very good seasons and some ones we just have to grind out. I have a feeling next year may be one of those . It's just unfortunate we when he had out chances we had to deal with arinzes injury and fabs suspension

Not me. I expect a bounce back year.

In a big way.

Especially if Coleman / Grant make the sophomore leap I expect.

In a big way.

if this team can't shoot what do you expect next year? It may be even worse

In a big way.

Agreed. And I think CJ will keep improving and could have a Hak type senior year. I also bet CJ shoots 40% from three but takes a lot more, similar to how Wallace improved in that aspect his senior year. I think CJ will be an All-American next season.

Let's just hope no shenanigans take place in the offseason, and that Ennis is the leader we all hope he is.

Agreed. And I think CJ will keep improving and could have a Hak type senior year.

Let's just hope no shenanigans take place in the offseason, and that Ennis is the leader we all hope he is.
I already feel bad for Ennis

if this team can't shoot what do you expect next year? It may be even worse

It literally CAN'T be worse shooting the ball. I have no doubt that Gbinije will shoot a higher percentage from three than Triche did this year. Ennis is a wild card--don't expect a frosh to shoot well. But I expect us to have a MUCH better inside game next year, and to be a lot better on the defensive boards.

Ennis
Gbinije
Fair
Grant
Coleman

Very solid starting nucleus, and I look forward to a time when we're not playing 3 on 5. I think CJ could have a big year and average 16+, with several other players between 8 and 11 points.

Guard play right now is unknown commodity, and therefore must remain a concern heading into next year.

It literally CAN'T be worse shooting the ball. I have no doubt that Gbinije will shoot a higher percentage from three than Triche did this year. Ennis is a wild card--don't expect a frosh to shoot well. But I expect us to have a MUCH better inside game next year, and to be a lot better on the defensive boards.

I guess your right it can't get much worse then this

I guess your right it can't get much worse then this

At least not statistically! :cool:

I don't expect the three point shot to be as big of a focal point of our offense next year. Nor should it be if the inside guys improve as much as I expect them to.

Lots of ifs--no question about that--but I don't see a dropoff next year, I expect a rebound year.

Next year's team will be better if for no other reason than I expect it to play as a team. Of course, I am counting on a new point guard for 2013/14.