What do the 2013-2014 Syracuse Orange look like roster wise | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What do the 2013-2014 Syracuse Orange look like roster wise

i think Jim has proven to be stubborn to a fault with his philosophy of not playing freshman. i don't see any possibility of Grant not starting. He should be our best player next year along with CJ

Jim plays and will start freshman. He always has.

If grant is our second best player next year then we'll be lucky to win ten games. Grants offensive game is seriously limited and right now he's not much more than a roll player.

Grants playing time this season came because he can play a little defense but this team can't score and next season they'll need scorers or it'll be a longer year.

Jim plays and will start freshman. He always has.

If grant is our second best player next year then we'll be lucky to win ten games. Grants offensive game is seriously limited and right now he's not much more than a roll player.

Grants playing time this season came because he can play a little defense but this team can't score and next season they'll need scorers or it'll be a longer year.
Roberson won't be the answer . Grant can play if given the chance. He's going to have a huge year

I dont think next year will be a down year. Yeah our guard play is still in question but cooney is only going to get better. I have no idea about Ennis or Gjinije. C.J. Fair has potential to be a first or second team all American and if Rakeem and Coleman get it together they could be a more athletic RJ A.O. combo. With Grant and Keita and probably Cooney off the bench that team could be really good, but it depends if certain players develop.
Go back 11 or 12 months and you will see how many people were posting almost exactly what you just said and look what happenend.

LOL...wow

I hope this thread gets bookmarked.

Grant is not a power forward and by three point range do you mean he can hit the rim from behind the line?

Grant absolutely will be a four in our system, IMO. Again, IMO, I expect him to be our best 4 since Hakim.

So will Roberson.

Go back 11 or 12 months and you will see how many people were posting almost exactly what you just said and look what happenend.

This is true, but I am mostly banking on C.J. Fair being that All-American Candidate that can carry us.

Total guess, but here is out how I see next year:

Starters:
PG: Ennis
SG: Gbinije
SF: Fair
PF: Grant
C: Christmas

Reserves:
Coleman (15-20mpg)
Cooney (15-20 mpg)
Keita (10mpg)
Roberson becomes the 1/2 man (stuck behind Grant and Fair)

Dark Horse: I think Patterson is the darkhorse candidate to steal some minutes at the 2 spot if Cooney and Gbinije don't step up. Roberson may be the better player, but I just don't see him taking many minutes from Fair and Grant.

Outlook: I completely expect Fair to take his game to an even higher level and get around 16-17PPG. I also think that some of the ACC teams will struggle against our zone with less familiarity. This team won't be an elite team, but I expect an improvement from this year. Certainly, I expect a team that will play a lot harder and be fun to watch.

edit: forgot about Keita

Total guess, but here is out how I see next year:

Starters:
PG: Ennis
SG: Gbinije
SF: Fair
PF: Grant

Reserves:
Coleman (15-20mpg)
Cooney (15-20 mpg)
Keita (10mpg)
Roberson becomes the 1/2 man (stuck behind Grant and Fair)

Dark Horse: I think Patterson is the darkhorse candidate to steal some minutes at the 2 spot if Cooney and Gbinije don't step up. Roberson may be the better player, but I just don't see him taking many minutes from Fair and Grant.

Outlook: I completely expect Fair to take his game to an even higher level and get around 16-17PPG. I also think that some of the ACC teams will struggle against our zone with less familiarity. This team won't be an elite team, but I expect an improvement from this year. Certainly, I expect a team that will play a lot harder and be fun to watch.

edit: forgot about Keita

Good post. The only difference from my perspective is Coleman over Rak.

Good post. The only difference from my perspective is Coleman over Rak.

The center position is an enigma for me. Both Rak and Coleman have a lot of potential, but it is unclear who will make the big jump. I could see this play out in a lot of different ways.

Here are the season stats for shooting: floor / 3 pt
Grant 462/400
Cooney 312/264
MCW 390/279

Grant's percentages are better than I thought.

IMO he's too short, too skinny and too weak to be a poward forward. His game is as a slashing small forward.

... Certainly, I expect a team that will play a lot harder and be fun to watch.

Solid, detailed post.

Curious about that - why do you think we'll play a lot harder? And why aren't we playing harder now?

Going to be interesting to see this group develop; there are as many unknown quantities as we've ever had (and our one known quantity is limited by the fact that he can't use his right hand).

There's the same important concern that was never resolved this year, too: who leads? Mike seemed the most likely candidate this year, but it hasn't played out so well. I can't even think of a reasonable candidate for next season (Baye seems to have the requisite traits, except he spends three-quarters of every game on the bench).

If we don't have a communicator who can rally his teammates, next season could be a slog.

IMO he's too short, too skinny and too weak to be a poward forward. His game is as a slashing small forward.
Too short?? No. He is not too short.

Lineup:
Ennis (MCW, although unlikely)
Gbinije
Fair
Grant
Christmas

Bench:
Cooney
Coleman
Roberson
Keita
Johnson
Patterson

I think our front court will be very good, if Coleman and Grant make big jump it will be scary good.

Worried about guard, hopefully cooney makes shots, because no one else I'd rely on from deep. Ennis for day one (most likely) will have the world on his shoulders. How good they are depends on him. Gbinje will be a nice player, equals out Triche at least.

Coleman/Christmas will be better. They can't be worse.

IF MCW does come back can you imagine that athleticism? The two guards would be huge and athletic. Who knows If they'd be able to beat a press or shoot though.

is gbinje a 2 or a 3? at 6'6 has he ever played shooting guard or is he more a swing?

My lineup:

Pg: Ennis
Sg: Gbinije
Sf: Fair
Pf: Coleman

Bench:
6. Grant (He could be like a Kris Joseph type player who can come and give you about 10 off the bench. I could easily switch him with Coleman)
7. Cooney
8. Roberson
9. Keita
10. Patterson
11. Johnson (could be a redshirt)

writing is on the wall and has been for a while. for SU's sake i would hope that all the homework has already been done and that another transfer/juco guard is in the pipeline the second MCW declares.
the thought of going into next season with 3 unknown guards is frightening. and even that's assuming they all even make it to campus.

If MCW declares for the NBA (and I know he will), I will probably will regard him similarly to how I do Donte Green. Two players who left when staying another year could be so beneficial for their game.

Personally, I feel Greene was much more advanced than MCW. Greene had a really strong second half of the season. He was posting up more and was torching teams. Didn't he finish with 19/9 or something like that?

Personally, I feel Greene was much more advanced than MCW. Greene had a really strong second half of the season. He was posting up more and was torching teams. Didn't he finish with 19/9 or something like that?
does defense not count?

does defense not count?

You're saying MCW is a good defender? He gets some easy steals when teams attack us poorly. He will get killed on the next level, in D-League or Europe.

You're saying MCW is a good defender? He gets some easy steals when teams attack us poorly. He will get killed on the next level, in D-League or Europe.
I do believe he is. Especially in comparison to donte green. It's no coincidence that was one of the worst defensive teams we had and
Statistically this year is among the best

I do believe he is. Especially in comparison to donte green. It's no coincidence that was one of the worst defensive teams we had and
Statistically this year is among the best

That whole team was bad defensively, no question. MCW and DG both aren't good. Just because he is long dosn't mean he is a good defender. He isn't especially quick, he lets guys get by him, and he trots back when he turns it over usually. This team is pretty good defensively but shooting in general and offensive efficiency in college basketball nationwide is at an all-time low, I would think.