What do the 2013-2014 Syracuse Orange look like roster wise | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What do the 2013-2014 Syracuse Orange look like roster wise

if history tells us anything its that when you expect a down year.. we get the opposite - lets hope that rings true next year...

My starting five right now will be:

MCW or Ennis
Gbinje
Fair
Roberson
Coleman

Coleman isn't leaving early he wouldn't even get drafted right now. He has potential, but his conditioning will scare off NBA teams he needs to go through the offseason condition program that Fab Melo did and lose 30 lbs like Melo and if he improves his defense he could be a 1st round pick next year. Also, Grant will start over Roberson JB is always loyal to returning players unless they have NBA talent. I think the starting lineup is Ennis, Cooney, Grant, Fair, Coleman.

I don't think anyone said Coleman is leaving early

If Cooney gets any minutes next year it will be the start of a serious decline in out program - he is a DIII talent

Where is Christmas going? he's got somewhere to be?
Tony, your new here, but I think your stuff is great.

Cooney is better than a DIII talent. He could play at the bottom of D-I. But not at the top. He would be a force in the Ivy League or at a program like William and Mary.

You may get frustrated with the quality of thought on here. Try and fight through it.

The expectations next year will be far lower but that team may well over achieve. Which is always more enjoyable. I think many will be surprised that the backcourt will actually be a lot better. Ennis is a legit run-the-offense playmaker with a tight handle. He is a penetrator with a good outside shot to keep defenses honest. MCW is a talent but I don't think he was ever a true PG. We tried to make him into a PG. Ennis is also a better 3 pt. shooter. Gbinije should to be a much better 3 pt shooter than the slump prone BT. It remains to be seen whether they can be as good defensively as MCW/BT.

Probable lineup:
PG-Ennis
2G- Gbinije
CJ Fair
Grant
C- Christmas

Bench:
2G-Cooney
PG/2G- Patterson
Roberson, BJ Johnson
C- Coleman, BMK, Obokoh

Can't believe we're doing this before the post season has even started.But it sure doesn't look like it's going to last very long.

MCW or Ennis
Gbinje
Fair
Roberson
Coleman

i think Jim has proven to be stubborn to a fault with his philosophy of not playing freshman. i don't see any possibility of Grant not starting. He should be our best player next year along with CJ

If Grant can develop a 3pt shot where he can shoot it at a 40% clip there's no doubt he will be our best player by far and be a lottery pick

If Grant can develop a 3pt shot where he can shoot it at a 40% clip there's no doubt he will be our best player by far and be a lottery pick

he doesn't need a 3 point shot. he's 6'9. how many 6'9 guys shoot 40% from 3 good lord. he has a nice 15-17 foot jump shot. if you watch warm ups he consistently knocks down 15-20 in a row.

MCW may leave but he aint going to the NBA - wait until scouts have everything updated - he's basically out of a lottery pick now - once a closer look is done it will be obvious he is too slow and too weak for the NBA - successful PG's are blazing quick with insane handles - his handle is below average and he's alarmingly very slow - maybe he wants to play overseas but I would imagine once he sees where he is projected to go he will come back which we need

I just read several of your previous posts. You once stated that Coleman was a one and done player. You also stated the Brandon has 1st round talent. Now, in one day, you pretty much are bashing both of them. What gives??

Grant will not be a problem next year. I kinda feel bad for the three first year players. Cooney had a nice three game run early in the year where he had double figures and hit about 45% of his threes. He struggled a little then started to get a quick hook. Grant played well when Southerland was out, then got no run. Coleman was on a short leash every game. He should have played more early. Baye played too much this season. It seems to me the difference in a good year and a great year next season will be these three Unfortunately you have to wonder if they gained anything from this year.

Grant will not be a problem next year. I kinda feel bad for the three first year players. Cooney had a nice three game run early in the year where he had double figures and hit about 45% of his threes. He struggled a little then started to get a quick hook. Grant played well when Southerland was out, then got no run. Coleman was on a short leash every game. He should have played more early. Baye played too much this season. It seems to me the difference in a good year and a great year next season will be these three Unfortunately you have to wonder if they gained anything from this year.

spot on. I am in the camp that Coleman will be fine. It just looked like the game was moving too fast for him this year. From everything I hear he is the hardest worker on the team. I expect him to go to work and come out next season with a chip on his shoulder. It always seemed he was moving too fast on offense. He needs to work on remaining composed when he catches the ball in the post because he usually gets very good position, then everything broke down from there. He is very solid on the glass. Defensively will continue to be a work in progress. Unfortunately JB usually tends to play big guys he has confidence in defensively so he's going to need to make some big improvements there. He should be better with a year in the system under the belt.
Grant I have already said will be a stud. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after next year. NBADRAFT net already has him going 16 or so in the 2014 mock draft.
I know i'll probably get bashed for this, but I can never see Cooney contributing. There is just way too much going on with his shot to be a consistent knock down shooter. He seems like the type of player who can knock down shots when he has time, but time is something you rarely get playing high D1 basketball. Defensively he is way over rated. He consistently gets beat off the dribble. I hope i'm wrong, but I don't see him contributing one bit.

MCW - he is playing his way into the 2nd round of the draft- no guaranteed $ there.
Patterson - 6'11 wingspan will be nice up top of the zone
Fair
Grant
Christmas

Plus we get all new refs next season. No more thug play during league games.

Plus we get all new refs next season. No more thug play during league games.

All new refs? Refs who did both Big East and ACC games this season include:

Hess, Kersey, Luckie, Eades, Natili, Cahill, O'Connell, Stuart, Corbett, Stephens, Jones and others. SU will see a lot of the same refs in the ACC.

I cant wait until Keita plays half the game next year and this board collectively explodes.

MCW or Ennis
Gbinje
Fair
Roberson
Coleman
Grant will get the token start but he does not have the range that a 3 should have. He is a 4 in a 3's body. Unless, he makes a big leap, look for him to split time with Roberson with Roberson possibly getting the crunch time. As this year demonstrates, we need 4 scorers to be competitive against good competition. Cooney is the poorest shooting 2 imaginable. He needs time to get off a decent shot. When he shoots quickly and hits the rim I feel relieved. The job will probably go to Gbinje. MCW is not helping his case with no assists today. Why is it seen as a lock that he will be gone? Being old is not a good enough reason to leave given that it seems like he would be 2nd round.

Will Coleman and XMAS develop more complete games? What can Gbinje and Robeson bring to the table? Will Grant become a midrange threat? How will Ennis do with big minutes as a frosh? Will any of the other frosh be a pleasant surprise? Cooney could improve but his accuracy is so horrible that there is no reason to expect a one year miracle turn around. Can we maintain rebounding and improve offensive punch?

Just going on probabilities, we will probably be better than this year. How many Syracuse teams were only able to score 38 points against their arch rival?

And while we are at it, what does Marsellus Wallace look like?

Grant will get the token start but he does not have the range that a 3 should have. He is a 4 in a 3's body. Unless, he makes a big leap, look for him to split time with Roberson with Roberson possibly getting the crunch time. As this year demonstrates, we need 4 scorers to be competitive against good competition. Cooney is the poorest shooting 2 imaginable. He needs time to get off a decent shot. When he shoots quickly and hits the rim I feel relieved. The job will probably go to Gbinje. MCW is not helping his case with no assists today. Why is it seen as a lock that he will be gone? Being old is not a good enough reason to leave given that it seems like he would be 2nd round.

Will Coleman and XMAS develop more complete games? What can Gbinje and Robeson bring to the table? Will Grant become a midrange threat? How will Ennis do with big minutes as a frosh? Will any of the other frosh be a pleasant surprise? Cooney could improve but his accuracy is so horrible that there is no reason to expect a one year miracle turn around. Can we maintain rebounding and improve offensive punch?

Just going on probabilities, we will probably be better than this year. How many Syracuse teams were only able to score 38 points against their arch rival?
Its hard to get assists when none of your teammates can score. If Coleman and Xmas are both disappointments again next year then we need to address What were doing with big man coaching. 2 Mickey D's AA and we cant make one of them into a functional D-1 Basketball player?

MCW - he is playing his way into the 2nd round of the draft- no guaranteed $ there.
Patterson - 6'11 wingspan will be nice up top of the zone
Fair
Grant
Christmas

Everyone is writing off MCW. Am I the only one that thought he stood out amongst everyone on the court today? He was able to score against a great D when no one else on our team could. We know he can pass. I think he's a first rounder. With improvement in strength & therefore ball handling, and his jumper, I think a team will let him develop a year and then he'll have a decent career.

Grant will get the token start but he does not have the range that a 3 should have. He is a 4 in a 3's body. Unless, he makes a big leap, look for him to split time with Roberson with Roberson possibly getting the crunch time.

No offense but I strongly disagree with this. To say that Grant will get the "token" start next year is bizarre to me, as I see him having a breakout season next year while being our 2nd best offensive threat behind (hopefully) CJ. Roberson definitely looks/sounds like a very promising prospect but I think Grant adds weight & both starts & plays the majority of the minutes at the PF. I see him having a similar progression as CJ where he plays primarily PF as a Soph before transitioning to starting SF as a JR. When you say that "he does not have the range" do you mean shooting range? I thought that Grant showed a decent jumper this year from both mid-range & 3pt as well as flashes of being able to drive by his defender & penetrate.

Grant was not asked to take 3s this year just like CJ wasn't his 1st 2 years as a PF but, FWIW...

Grant is 6-15 (40%) from 3pt

CJ shot 1-3 as a Frosh & then 6-24 as a Soph before becoming a solid 3pt threat this year at 18-41 (44%)

watch Grant warm up next time. He consistently knocks down 17 foot jump shots. He is at the same pace CJ was as a fr. Not to mention Jim has shown through the years his stubbornness to play freshman unless he is absolutely forced too. Grant will be our 2nd best player next year st very worst

dirty shouldnt have returned as a starter- grant still has some positive upside plenty of growing-dirty has nothing more to show-has reached his peak

might be a whole different team right now with a grant who has confidence