What does the court of public opinion think about MCW now? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What does the court of public opinion think about MCW now?

If that report is true, he certainly did break the law.
Technically, no. If you are given a warning by a cop when stopped for speeding, you get no points on your license.

Technically, no. If you are given a warning by a cop when stopped for speeding, you get no points on your license.

No, if you were speeding, you broke the law. If you stole something, you broke the law.

It doesn't matter what the consequences are, if any. Breaking the law happens when you break the law.

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with you or anyone here. I'm sure other SU students got caught stealing this year and worse, but noone cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Despite what you believe, when a high profile athlete like MCW is involved in an incident like this, it does reflect poorly on Syracuse University, and anyone with a direct connection to the school has every right to be disappointed or angry.

No, if you were speeding, you broke the law. If you stole something, you broke the law.

It doesn't matter what the consequences are, if any. Breaking the law happens when you break the law.
If we are getting into semantics, sounds like he never left the store with the merchandise. Therefore he never actually stole, and thus did not break the law.

Edit: never mind, just read again and saw "as he was leaving the store."

3 to 5 game suspension is way too extreme. He paid $500 dollars already and is publicly embarassed. Trey Ziegler got a DUI for Pitt and was suspended 3 games.

Way too extreme? three games against Canisius/Detroit/Temple is that extreme? I mean it's not like they're chopping off his hand.

I'm 100% certain this was the first time he ever tried something like this. So, I will give him a pass. He was obviously just holding the items in his backpack. They were too large to carry.

Total misunderstanding..happens everyday.

If we are getting into semantics, sounds like he never left the store with the merchandise. Therefore he never actually stole, and thus did not break the law.

Not certain, but I think the law prohibits the concealment of merchandise. Either wy, the Post-Standard piece does say that he was apprehended outside the store. Definitely in violation of the law.

Its really none of our business , we only care because hes on the bball team. He paid the 500 bucks. Its done.

This is the whole point -- things are different when you're a public figure. You get a TON of advantages, but your transgressions become public fodder. In fact, that's the whole reason a suspension should be handed down -- to drive this lesson home. It's not to say you're awful or no one has ever shop-lifted stuff. It's to say, essentially, "don't be an idiot."

Yeah, whatever, that's a pretty witty response. However, I never thought of MCW as being a selfish individual. Believe it or not, these athletes deal with kids all the time. They go to schools and hospitals to visit kids. They work with them at basketball camps. Kids want to wear their jerseys, they want to get their autographs.

No one is saying what MCW did was the biggest crime in the world, however it was morally, ethically and illegally wrong. It's his conscience. Not mine or yours. However, if you want to go Saturday and give him a standing ovation, go ahead. That's your decision and that's why I asked the question initially.
Are you going to hold this against him for his entire career at SU or just Saturday night? Is this a standard policy that you have for all athletes across all sports? I'm not perfect so it's difficult for me to expect MCW to be. It will take more than a shoplifting incident for me not to cheer for him. It's unfortunate but I forgive. It's a wonderful thing.

This is the whole point -- things are different when you're a public figure. You get a TON of advantages, but your transgressions become public fodder. In fact, that's the whole reason a suspension should be handed down -- to drive this lesson home. It's not to say you're awful or no one has ever shop-lifted stuff. It's to say, essentially, "don't be an idiot."

Also, while we're not privy to specifics, one has to wonder if the lesson has been driven home if Mike actually told Boeheim that this was a misunderstanding.

If that was his complete explanation, that sure doesn't sound like someone who's learned a lesson.

If a member of the SUMB was in the same situation would we expect them to be suspended after having already taken care of their punishment with the store?

Any former SUMB members, I honestly don't know. But I can't imagine they would.

That's because they are in the f-ing marching band. That's the whole point of this. I'd give him a suspension to drive home the real life lesson here. And that lesson is this:

Michael you've been blessed with a remarkable blend of skill and size/athleticism. All you have to do to be successful in life is not be stupid. You can be an arrogant, insensitive, womanizing, selfish, all around a-hole and it really doesn't matter that much. What you do need to do is not . DUI, stealing, domestic abuse, getting caught up in some sort of violence. Just avoid these situations. That's it. And here's 2 games to think it over.

Are you going to hold this against him for his entire career at SU or just Saturday night? Is this a standard policy that you have for all athletes across all sports? I'm not perfect so it's difficult for me to expect MCW to be. It will take more than a shoplifting incident for me not to cheer for him. It's unfortunate but I forgive. It's a wonderful thing.
Here was what I wrote in the original OP:

However, I also believe in giving people second chances and hopefully a strong lesson was learned here.

So, ask me that question again.

I love when posters get offended and accuse people of being intolerant when all anyone is really saying is the kid probably should sit for a couple games for stealing. He's probably a fine kid. He certainly doesn't seem like a bad kid, but I mean, he got caught.

I love when posters get offended and accuse people of being intolerant when all anyone is really saying is the kid probably should sit for a couple games for stealing. He's probably a fine kid. He certainly doesn't seem like a bad kid, but I mean, he got caught.
I agree. I was just amused when the OP said he felt guilty cheering for MCW. It's going to take a bit more than an incident of shoplifting before it starts affecting my personal feelings towards someone on the team I root for. A bit over the top. He's human.

Despite what you believe, when a high profile athlete like MCW is involved in an incident like this, it does reflect poorly on Syracuse University, and anyone with a direct connection to the school has every right to be disappointed or angry.
To some extent. But its like saying if someone in a benz gets caught speeding than all benz owners are speeders.

Incredibly disappointed, but SU athletes have committed such worse crimes with almost no punishment, I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

If the article is to be believed MCW did something dumb. The part that I can't understand is that people are saying he didn't get arrested because of who he is. It is very common for stores to handle situations such as this on their own regardless of who a person is. I know of several students that I coach/teach ranging in ages from 10-19 who were caught shoplifting and not one of them were arrested. At least one of them was caught stealing more valuable merchandise than MCW.

My point is I don't know how you can say MCW was given special treatment when many accused shoplifters are dealt with the same way and don't play PG for SU!

In light of some of the "facts" being publicized, does that change how people feel about MCW.

As a Syracuse fan, I am thankful that he was able to "work things out" with L & T, if what is being reported is true.

However, as someone who firmly believes in the difference between right and wrong, I have no time for people who take things that don't rightfully belong to them. However, I also believe in giving people second chances and hopefully a strong lesson was learned here.

So, assuming its business as usual on Saturday night, and MCW is at his starting position, do the fans in attendance just let things move ahead and cheer just as loud as if this "misunderstanding" never happened.

I feel a bit guilty to cheer for him initially, so I am actually hoping that JB finds a punishment to fit the crime. I'm leaving that up to JB to determine what it is.
if the kids playing and starting I will be booing vociferously all the while basking in the dissaproving stares of all the star struck reality denying fans all around me.

Yea I'm over this, I would imagine most of us on this board have stolen something. Hopefully he will learn from it. He paid the fine and it's done. We have all done dumb in college. Leave it at that and be done with it.

MCW embarrassed himself, the team, the university and yes, his coach.
But Boeheim will do nothing.
He's always been rather spineless when it comes to disciplining players.
The player at least should be suspended for several games.

MCW embarrassed himself, he team, the university and yes, his coach.
But Boeheim will do nothing.
He's always been rather spineless when it comes to disciplining players.
The player at least should be suspended for several games.
So you're saying you're taking what the PS writes as gospel? Does MCW get to say anything before you hand out this sentence?

Let's not get fooled by what the PS objective is. They are now full bore into trying to make money by getting hits. If the story of the cashier was deemed to be something that would get more hits I think that is what we would have read. They may have a whole news cycle plotted out, who knows, it worked well with the Bernie thing. The PS no longer deserves any credit for any kind of journalistic integrity.

I agree, JB has a rep for hands off on these kind of things. I don't anticipate a punishment. I don't know if one is appropriate.

The potential is there for a distraction. But there is also the potential that JB can close the ranks and make this another us against them type focused seasons.

My opinion of MCW is that he's a really good college point guard. It is also my opinion of him that he sometimes tries to make a spectacular pass when a basic pass will do. End of opinion.

Just remember-- if this was some other player on a different team most of you here would be ALL over it. Especially if it was on a team with a coach that people obsess over here; think Calipari, for example. It really truly is amazing how people can instantly change their opinions on a situation just because of their fan hood. At the end of the day, all of us are people, regardless of what logo or color is on our shirt.

At this point the evidence is largely against mcw. He stole something, he got caught. Give it up. I can't understand why some can't admit to it, like every other team in America, Syracuse isn't perfect nor full of never- make - any - mistake - or - do - something - dumb citizens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom