What does Tuck have to do to finish as a Heisman Finalist? | Syracusefan.com

What does Tuck have to do to finish as a Heisman Finalist?

David332

All American
3 games left, what will he have to do to be a Heisman trophy finalist? Would the remaining three games at 200 yard plus do it? Obviously there are other variables that cannot be controlled.

Win out
300 plus all purpose yards and 4 scores vs Ville
250 plus all purpose yards and 3 scores vs State
350 plus all purpose yards and 5 scores vs Pitt

Win out
I don’t think that would even be enough.

If you assume there will be 5 finalists, which is the most typical number, you can almost write the following 4 on the list in pen:

Bryce Young QB. Bama
Matt Corral QB Ole Miss
CJ Stroud QB Ohio State
Kenneth Walker RB Michigan State

The 5th might be up for grabs but I just looked at a couple of lists compiled in the last 24 hours and Sean is not listed. And the lists include around 15 players.

The best I think we can realistically hope for is for Sean to continue to pile up great numbers and see a bunch of writers mention him as someone who should have been named a finalist but was not. That kind of review and visibility might get him on some short lists for the Heisman for next season,

You almost have to start on those lists from day one of the season to have a good chance to be a finalist. That or your team needs to have a tremendous season (and you have to be the clear star leading it).

Win out
Man those are video game numbers! Keep in mind guys I’m talking about becoming a finalist not outright winning it. I would hope that if he finishes first in FBS in both total yards and rushing that it would be enough, but I too suspect that being on an unranked team would count against him.

Something incredible because we have 4 losses. Although we deserve a break after hornung.and Brown screwed us.

I don’t think that would even be enough.

If you assume there will be 5 finalists, which is the most typical number, you can almost write the following 4 on the list in pen:

Bryce Young QB. Bama
Matt Corral QB Ole Miss
CJ Stroud QB Ohio State
Kenneth Walker RB Michigan State

The 5th might be up for grabs but I just looked at a couple of lists compiled in the last 24 hours and Sean is not listed. And the lists include around 15 players.

The best I think we can realistically hope for is for Sean to continue to pile up great numbers and see a bunch of writers mention him as someone who should have been named a finalist but was not. That kind of review and visibility might get him on some short lists for the Heisman for next season,

You almost have to start on those lists from day one of the season to have a good chance to be a finalist. That or your team needs to have a tremendous season (and you have to be the clear star leading it).
It’s sad that even if he beats out walker he still would not get an invite. It is clearly not about the best player in college football anymore. It’s about the team you play for. You cannot make me believe any of those qbs are the best players in America. You put them on other teams SU for example and they would not even be in the conversation. Even walker. He was a good running back at wake but you place him on mich st. With a different Oline and skill players and look at his numbers. Tucker is on a team where the Oline is improved greatly and has a good qb but Where the offense still has limitations. He is clearly the number 1 option and teams can still not stop him. He is one of the best players in the country at this point and should get an invite if his numbers per game remain similar but unfortunately it won’t happen. Maybe if the school would have given him 44 it would have generated buzz but that is not going to happen.

3 games left, what will he have to do to be a Heisman trophy finalist? Would the remaining three games at 200 yard plus do it? Obviously there are other variables that cannot be controlled.
I think he gets votes with 500+ yards and 4+ scores. Needs more than that to get invited to DTAC

He’s a true sophomore and a running back on a .500 team. How many sophomores have won the heisman?

he doesn’t have a chance

He would need to rack up a bunch of TDs, like 12-15 in the last 3 games and have one game where he just goes nuts for 300+.

Continue the current pace on the stat line...I think Syracuse would need to win out for him to get an invite though. I can't see a 5-7 or 6-6 team getting a heisman trophy finalist.
Unless it's 1956, and you're Paul Hornung, who led his 2-8 Notre Dame team, straight to the bottom of the trash heap. Then you'd get the nod over Jim Brown of Syracuse.

This is his Flutie 1983 season. you hope he continues where he left off next year and the team is winning and he's running wild

If SU wins out, and he keeps putting up the numbers he is, he will be mentioned. Short of that, I don’t see him making up enough ground. That’s unfortunate too because he deserves it. But next year is his year.

He would have to be super human over the next 3 games.
Being a finalist is about votes and if he's not in the top 3 on most of the voters lists, he's not going to get the votes needed to be invited. SU doesn't make the radar screen for a huge percentage of voters unless something truly unusual is happening. If he really goes off against Louisville (250+ and 5 TDs) people will notice. He then has to follow that up with monster games against NCSU and Pitt.
He really needs to put up national record type numbers over the last 3 games.

I think its great he's in the conversation this year (which no one expected) so next season he will be listed early and one of the pre season hopefuls which he should have a legitimate shot at esp if/when we have a solid season of putting up wins

in '18 and then in '19 the nation's leading rushers (Jonathan Taylor 2,194 & Chuba Hubbard 2,094) were not invited to NY.

Both teams were 8-5.

He is not going to be invited...no matter what he does. My hope is that he can finish the year with over 100 yards each game, we win at least 1 more, and start the campaign in '22.

For the Heisman... your team has to win, or you have to be a QB, or both

Who is going to be Top 5? It is a weak year.

Young... Yes
Stroud... Yes
Walker III... Yes
Corral... Yes assuming his injury allows him to play
Caleb Williams?
Hartman if Wake goes 12-0 during the regular season?
Pickett if Pitt wins out?
Allgeier if BYU wins out?

I think if Tucker runs for 125 a game with 1 TD and we win two of the next 3 games, he could be in the Top 5.

Last edited:
in '18 and then in '19 the nation's leading rushers (Jonathan Taylor 2,194 & Chuba Hubbard 2,094) were not invited to NY.

Both teams were 8-5.

He is not going to be invited...no matter what he does. My hope is that he can finish the year with over 100 yards each game, we win at least 1 more, and start the campaign in '22.

For the Heisman... your team has to win, or you have to be a QB, or both
I agree it is highly unlikely he gets invited, but, and I'm saying this without looking it up, I believe there were QBs putting up crazy numbers those years. The top QBs this year seem to be a bit down compared to then. RBs are getting talked about more this year.

Shoot for the Doak Walker. Winning out would help him. Two man race with the kid at MSU but they're 8-0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom