What does Tuck have to do to finish as a Heisman Finalist? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What does Tuck have to do to finish as a Heisman Finalist?

Unless it's 1956, and you're Paul Hornung, who led his 2-8 Notre Dame team, straight to the bottom of the trash heap. Then you'd get the nod over Jim Brown of Syracuse.
The worst part of 1956 was Jim finished 5th, and a lineman got more votes.

Heisman final five is out of reach, but Tucker and some others will get ACC honors. And more so, if the team can win two of the three November games. Run Tucker, run.

Shoot for the Doak Walker. Winning out would help him. Two man race with the kid at MSU but they're 8-0.
Yeah, that's more realistic. We'll have a better feel for how they compare after this weekend since they'll have the same number of games played. Walker has quite a few more tds and is averaging 9 more ypg and more ypc. Tucker will probably have some ground to make up but should at least be in the conversation.

Win out, all 100+ rushing performances and more receptions.

He’s going to be in the top 5 candidates regardless next year.

I don’t think that would even be enough.

If you assume there will be 5 finalists, which is the most typical number, you can almost write the following 4 on the list in pen:

Bryce Young QB. Bama
Matt Corral QB Ole Miss
CJ Stroud QB Ohio State
Kenneth Walker RB Michigan State

The 5th might be up for grabs but I just looked at a couple of lists compiled in the last 24 hours and Sean is not listed. And the lists include around 15 players.

The best I think we can realistically hope for is for Sean to continue to pile up great numbers and see a bunch of writers mention him as someone who should have been named a finalist but was not. That kind of review and visibility might get him on some short lists for the Heisman for next season,

You almost have to start on those lists from day one of the season to have a good chance to be a finalist. That or your team needs to have a tremendous season (and you have to be the clear star leading it).
disagree, if he put up those numbers we have a good chance of finishing 8-4 and those numbers would be crazy . just too big to ignore. In fact you could cut some of them and still get in the room. I would agree its a long shot because it is.

I agree it is highly unlikely he gets invited, but, and I'm saying this without looking it up, I believe there were QBs putting up crazy numbers those years. The top QBs this year seem to be a bit down compared to then. RBs are getting talked about more this year.

He's also unlikely to rush for over 2k is my point. It's a winning + qb award for the most part. MSU is going to likely finish with 0-1 losses. KWIII is the sexier RB right now due to his performance against Michigan

disagree, if he put up those numbers we have a good chance of finishing 8-4 and those numbers would be crazy . just too big to ignore. In fact you could cut some of them and still get in the room. I would agree its a long shot because it is.
Well, I hope he puts those numbers up, we do finish 8-4 and get to see what happens. That would be awesome, even if it is a 1000/1 shot.

Two likely games against ranked opponents should give Sean some of the best exposure he has gotten all season.

My understanding is that the Heisman committee decides who to invite based on the votes they have received to date from the voting panel. If/when there is a noticeable gap in votes, they draw the line and end invitations.

He doesn't appear to be in almost anyone's top 15 right now. Not saying this is right but from my research, I think it is a fact. Somebody like Hartman, who is having a really good season for a team having a terrific season, can sneak into the discussion a lot easier than Tucker. People have at least been mentioning him for months.

Passing so many so late in the season is going to be very tough. I hope like hell Sean is able to do it.

He's also unlikely to rush for over 2k is my point. It's a winning + qb award for the most part. MSU is going to likely finish with 0-1 losses. KWIII is the s e xier RB right now due to his performance against Michigan
most people think MSU loses 2 down the stretch.. results way better than the team has really played.

1636133474621.gif

Well, I hope he puts those numbers up, we do finish 8-4 and get to see what happens. That would be awesome, even if it is a 1000/1 shot.

Two likely games against ranked opponents should give Sean some of the best exposure he has gotten all season.

My understanding is that the Heisman committee decides who to invite based on the votes they have received to date from the voting panel. If/when there is a noticeable gap in votes, they draw the line and end invitations.

He doesn't appear to be in almost anyone's top 15 right now. Not saying this is right but from my research, I think it is a fact. Somebody like Hartman, who is having a really good season for a team having a terrific season, can sneak into the discussion a lot easier than Tucker. People have at least been mentioning him for months.

Passing so many so late in the season is going to be very tough. I hope like hell Sean is able to do it.
All true, the thing with Tucker is that he has emerged out of nowhere on the national scene. Even heard the Childres and Neuheisel bring his name up on their show Thursday on sirius and I never hear them mention SU. So a really big game could launch him up the list even further . Kenneth Walker is the front runner on many lists now and that happened after 5 TDs against Mich. Its unlikely but not unfathomable .

Last edited:
Tucker would have to hit 2,000 yards rushing to be in the top 5.

Tucker would have to hit 2,000 yards rushing to be in the top 5.
Quite possibly, or an onslaught of recieving yards tacked on ( and TDs )

He would have to have an all time game Something nuts like >350 yards and 6 TDs. He'd have to eclipse 2,000 yards, we would have to win out and the other finalists would have to falter significantly.

Doak Walker legit shot this year. Heisman next year.

McNabb never even got an invite.

Tucker isn't getting one this year. And probably isn't next year, unless our team wins 10 games. Which might be possible next year?

Shoot for the Doak Walker. Winning out would help him. Two man race with the kid at MSU but they're 8-0.
And to top it off, MSU’s Walker might be related to Doak Walker. Dammit!

McNabb never even got an invite.

Tucker isn't getting one this year. And probably isn't next year, unless our team wins 10 games. Which might be possible next year?
I disagree,That's a sweeping statement. Next year he will be a candidate from day one , that alone will be a big boost. Whole lot of variables involved making it impossible to predict.

It’s a numbers and wins and perception thing

Would giving him 44 boosted perception?
What if we won all 3, 3pt losses?

All true, the thing with Tucker is that he has emerged out of nowhere on the national scene. Even heard the Childres and Neuheisel bring his name up on their show Thursday on sirius and I never hear them mention SU. So a really big game could launch him up the list even further . Kenneth Walker is the front runner on many lists now and that happened after 5 TDs against Mich. Its unlikely but not unfathomable .

He's a fantastic talent. I think we vastly underrate him as a fanbase. Stay healthy and he has 10-year pro potential, which is nearly impossible for a RB.

The last RB to win the Heisman was Derrick Henry in 2015.
Here's his line:

Derrick Henry*AlabamaJRRB3782771441832395 Att, 2219 Yds, 5.6 Avg, 28 TD

Plus, he played for Alabama.

He's probably going to need at least 2000 just to get some third place votes.

He's also unlikely to rush for over 2k is my point. It's a winning + qb award for the most part. MSU is going to likely finish with 0-1 losses. KWIII is the s e xier RB right now due to his performance against Michigan
And, if we're being objective, his numbers are just a bit better.

Regardless of what happens, Tucker is having an alltime great season. Maybe one of the top 3-5 in SU RB history. It should set him up for some great pre/early season recognition next year.

It’s sad that even if he beats out walker he still would not get an invite. It is clearly not about the best player in college football anymore. It’s about the team you play for. You cannot make me believe any of those qbs are the best players in America. You put them on other teams SU for example and they would not even be in the conversation. Even walker. He was a good running back at wake but you place him on mich st. With a different Oline and skill players and look at his numbers. Tucker is on a team where the Oline is improved greatly and has a good qb but Where the offense still has limitations. He is clearly the number 1 option and teams can still not stop him. He is one of the best players in the country at this point and should get an invite if his numbers per game remain similar but unfortunately it won’t happen. Maybe if the school would have given him 44 it would have generated buzz but that is not going to happen.
Re: Walker--
I don't know for a fact, but I would guess one of the main reasons he transferred from Wake to MSU was that he wanted to be the featured back. Clawson likes to go RB by committee. This season, Wake has used 3 RB's. They have carried the ball 97, 71, and 64 times respectively. Plus the QB has 50 carries. A running back is not going to get a lot of individual recognition in that system.

SU wins out and he plays the same. Mich St. gets an L or two and Walker stinks it up. Not great odds but that would do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom