What football program is most like SU basketball? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What football program is most like SU basketball?

Since 1998, Michigan has been to 6 BCS games, 1 NC, 5 conference titles.
Since 1998 Kentucky has been to 4 Final Fours, 2 NCs, 10 conference titles.

Michigan football is a top 5 brand in college football Syracuse isn't a top 5 brand in college basketball.

Michigan football is not good. One national title in 60 years. A history of losing the Rose Bowl. Inflated tradition due to a large fanbase and top heavy conference.

To compare it to Kentucky basketball is insulting Kentucky basketball.

Michigan football is not good. One national title in 60 years. A history of losing the Rose Bowl. Inflated tradition due to a large fanbase and top heavy conference.

To compare it to Kentucky basketball is insulting Kentucky basketball.
Football has never had a legitimate way to determine NCs. There is a reason before this upcoming 4 team playoff the NC has been called MNCs.

Basketball has the tournament Kentucky has 1978, 1996, 1998, 2012 NCs in the modern era. Michigan has 1 NC in 1997. However, I think Michigan football is like Kentucky basketball both teams lead their sport in attendance most years, both have crazy expectations. Both are top 5 brands and have the most wins all time in football and basketball.

I would say Michigan. Georgia gets better recruits than we do relative to their sport. They have underachieved more in my opinion. Great question though... maybe Virginia Tech?

No to VATech. Beamer wins lots of games by beating patsies and losing to the big boys. Syracuse hoops beats big boys regularly, very BIG DIFFERENCE! PLaying for several championships and winning one is another major difference.

I would say more Georgia than Clemson. We have turned over too many head coaches and were fairly average from 92-09.

Minus the last 6 years off the top of my head I would have said Tennessee football has more in common with SU bball. I don't see Michigan/Georgia at all. This is an interesting thread. I will have to think about this.

Minus the last 6 years off the top of my head I would have said Tennessee football has more in common with SU bball. I don't see Michigan/Georgia at all. This is an interesting thread. I will have to think about this.

yeah Georgia i do not get at all. Tennessee is an interesting one, and not sure why my Va Tech has been dismissed so easily. Yeah, they beat up on patsies... SO DO WE.

What about USC?

yeah Georgia i do not get at all. Tennessee is an interesting one, and not sure why my Va Tech has been dismissed so easily. Yeah, they beat up on patsies... SO DO WE.

What about USC?
upload_2014-4-3_9-22-13.jpeg

Syracuse basketball is NOT Virginia Tech football. The Hokies have 0 NCs, and always lose games when they have a chance to earn more national respect. The equivalent of Virginia Tech football in college basketball is Texas basketball. Texas has had a lot of talent and has never won a NC even though they have had Ford, Durant, Aldridge in the last 10 years as POYs.

Syracuse basketball is like Georgia Football because we always have good seasons, lose a What game, with all the talent both teams have had should have more rings. If you want to say Tennessee football I disagree because Tennessee was really good under Fulmer for a 16 years and has struggled big time since.

Like Syracuse winning 20 games practically every year under JB since 1997 Georgia has won 8 games every season except the 2010 season. Georgia wins 8 games, Syracuse wins 20 games. Both teams have numerous players go the NFL and NBA, both teams feel they have underachieved nationally, but play in the toughest conference in their sport.

View attachment 10289

Syracuse basketball is NOT Virginia Tech football. The Hokies have 0 NCs, and always lose games when they have a chance to earn more national respect. The equivalent of Virginia Tech football in college basketball is Texas basketball. Texas has had a lot of talent and has never won a NC even though they have had Ford, Durant, Aldridge in the last 10 years as POYs.

Syracuse basketball is like Georgia Football because we always have good seasons, lose a What game, with all the talent both teams have had should have more rings. If you want to say Tennessee football I disagree because Tennessee was really good under Fulmer for a 16 years and has struggled big time since.

Like Syracuse winning 20 games practically every year under JB since 1997 Georgia has won 8 games every season except the 2010 season. Georgia wins 8 games, Syracuse wins 20 games. Both teams have numerous players go the NFL and NBA, both teams feel they have underachieved nationally, but play in the toughest conference in their sport.

You obviously feel Georgia is the answer, some do not. That is ok. This is all opinion. I am willing to bet that Georgia has many man more guys in the NFL than we do in the NBA. They get better recruits than us. Its really not close.

If you took our one NC away in hoops, we would be dead ringers for the Hokies. Just because we rode Melo to one title, doesnt erase all the similarities. I would put Michigan, Tenn and Va Tech ahead of Georgia for apt comparisons.

You obviously feel Georgia is the answer, some do not. That is ok. This is all opinion. I am willing to bet that Georgia has many man more guys in the NFL than we do in the NBA. They get better recruits than us. Its really not close.

If you took our one NC away in hoops, we would be dead ringers for the Hokies. Just because we rode Melo to one title, doesnt erase all the similarities. I would put Michigan, Tenn and Va Tech ahead of Georgia for apt comparisons.
I am okay with different opinions, but comparing SU basketball to VPI football is an insult to SU basketball. VPI never wins big games when their big boy pants are on. SU basketball wins plenty of big games when the lights are on we just don't have as many NCs as we should have. SU has played for a NC in 3 consecutive decades 80's, 90's 00's. Virginia Tech has played for 1 NC.
I remember this VPI-LSU game like it was yesterday. I was lucky enough to be at the game. LSU destroyed VPI and when at the end of the season VPI had 1 loss and LSU had 2 losses even though VPI had won the ACC title they didn't get a sniff for the NC game even though Ohio State lost, USC lost, and LSU had 2 losses because of the beatdown VPI took from this game.

We can agree to disagree, but SU BB is not VPI FB IMO.

vpi in comparison to Syracuse basketball is an insult, is right.

its not even in the same universe.

one could argue michigan football is Syracuse basketball (i did) but at the end of the day, the BRAND of michigan football trumps SU hoop.

both are apples...one is a shiny, glossy big red picturesque one. the other is a fine apple, but people most likely will make a great pie out of it instead of deciding to never eat another fruit again.

al's top 12 lists were pretty spot on.

vpi in comparison to Syracuse basketball is an insult, is right.

its not even in the same universe.

one could argue michigan football is Syracuse basketball (i did) but at the end of the day, the BRAND of michigan football trumps SU hoop.

both are apples...one is a shiny, glossy big red picturesque one. the other is a fine apple, but people most likely will make a great pie out of it instead of deciding to never eat another fruit again.

al's top 12 lists were pretty spot on.

Hmmm... a coach who is the program, a bit of a gimmick (specials and D / zone), always pretty good, a rep for not playing the big road game...pack the big stadiums near campus...just saying...

Hmmm... a coach who is the program, a bit of a gimmick (specials and D / zone), always pretty good, a rep for not playing the big road game...pack the big stadiums near campus...just saying...

Yeah, but they're .

I do think VT has shed the big road game reputation. They've played @ LSU, aTm, Nebraska, two Atlanta games against Bama, and have upcoming games @ Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State. That doesn't even include the Tennessee race track game, but that's equal distance from each school.

Again though, and I can't stress this enough, .

Yeah, but they're .

I do think VT has shed the big road game reputation. They've played @ LSU, aTm, Nebraska, two Atlanta games against Bama, and have upcoming games @ Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State. That doesn't even include the Tennessee race track game, but that's equal distance from each school.

Yeah, but people (here) still throw the schedule at them, sounds kinda familiar...and go to the Blarney before an MSG game and tell me you want to talk to half of that crowd...just saying...

Yeah, but people (here) still throw the schedule at them, sounds kinda familiar...and go to the Blarney before an MSG game and tell me you want to talk to half of that crowd...just saying...

Are you trying to say there are a-hole SU fans? The hell you say.

I listed out that schedule of road games specifically for the people here.

VT still blows goats though.

Are you trying to say there are a-hole SU fans? The hell you say.

I listed out that schedule of road games specifically for the people here.

VT still blows goats though.
when unc played the Orange in the Garden, i thought id be throwing hands v Orange fans for the 1st time since school, but bayside diplomatically diffused the situation effortlessly.

i was still in...'let me take a big swig of my beer because once i put it down ill never see it again and will likely be banned from the blarney forever....wait, its over??? wow, nice job'-mode.

we should send him to russia.

when unc played the Orange in the Garden, i thought id be throwing hands v Orange fans for the 1st time since school, but bayside diplomatically diffused the situation effortlessly.

i was still in...'let me take a big swig of my beer because once i put it down ill never see it again and will likely be banned from the blarney forever...wait, its over??? wow, nice job'-mode.

we should send him to russia.

Ha - those 2 meatheads finally shut up when I pointed to CTO and said that lady will make it that you 2 bookends were never born.

Reactions: cto
Yeah, but they're .

I think the big issue with Beamer is that he does not win big games. Sure, after three decades he has a couple but not nearly enough to warrant being an elite coach. Many coaches listed after him have more significant wins and a better win percentage in big games.

And the mandated rule limiting teams to one FCS opponent per season is due to his scheduling philosophy.

If not being impressed with beating patsies, avoiding the big boys and failing to beat them when forces to play them makes me a butthole, so be it. Sounds more Rutgeresque than elite.

When he regularly beats top teams I may be impressed but waiting three decades has kind of worn thin.

Dare I say it? Clemson?

I don't think Clemson has nearly the history that their fans think they have. Or the history that our hoops program has. I mean, we had something like 13 conference titles in the Big East (regular season + tournament). Clemson hasn't done anything comparable in the ACC.

I think it's important to note that Michigan has the most wins all time of any football program. I wouldn't quite put Syracuse basketball there.

We're 5th all time in hoops. That's not that far off.

One half of a title in
not bad.

georgia's NC was so damn long ago though. but close enough.

if you throw out all Michigans claimed titles, they have 2. one from 1948 and another from 97.

to this generation...its Michigan imo. the Orange were the lead dog in the BE and are a lead dog in the ACC. georgia is a little bit of a 2nd banana.

One-half of a title for for the Skunkbears in 1997

We're 5th all time in hoops. That's not that far off.
Yeah true. Whether it's fair or not, most people regard Michigan football more highly than Syracuse basketball in each of their sports.

I don't think Clemson has nearly the history that their fans think they have. Or the history that our hoops program has. I mean, we had something like 13 conference titles in the Big East (regular season + tournament). Clemson hasn't done anything comparable in the ACC.

Clemson has 14 ACC football championships.

su basketball is like ND football