What football program is most like SU basketball? | Syracusefan.com

What football program is most like SU basketball?

Eric15

Living Legend
What college football program would you say is most similar to the SU basketball program in terms of success?

I would say it's Michigan. Each play in enormous venues, have won one national title in over the past few decades, and are almost always in contention, but not quite the elite of the elite. Or potentially Auburn, as well.

Georgia Football = Syracuse Basketball.
NY state products elite basketball prospects each season, like Georgia HS football produces. SU and UGA keep most of them at home. UGA has 1 NC led by a phenom freshman Hershel Walker. Syracuse has 1 NC led by phenom freshman Carmelo Anthony.

Both are very talented and contenders each season. However, both fanbases want more titles for all the talent. Both will be dominate in their sport because of their facilities, conference, and recruiting in their region.

other comparisons
Alabama Football = North Carolina Basketball biggest blue blood in each sport.
Auburn Football = more successful NC State basketball
LSU Football = UConn Basketball, multiple NC for each. Neither will ever be the lead dog in the conference, but both win when the lights are on.
Florida Football = Florida Basketball. Multiple NC for each.
Notre Dame Football = Duke Basketball. National universal dislike except by their alums or bandwagon fans.

Last edited:
Georgia Football = Syracuse Basketball.
NY state products elite basketball prospects each season, like Georgia HS football produces. SU and UGA keep most of them at home. UGA has 1 NC led by a phenom freshman Hershel Walker. Syracuse has 1 NC led by phenom freshman Carmelo Anthony.

Both are very talented and contenders each season. However, both fanbases want more titles for all the talent. Both will be dominate in their sport because of their facilities, conference, and recruiting in their region.

other comparisons
Alabama Football = North Carolina Basketball biggest blue blood in each sport.
Auburn Football = more successful NC State basketball
LSU Football = UConn Basketball, multiple NC for each. Neither will ever be the lead dog in the conference, but both win when the lights are on.
Florida Football = Florida Basketball. Multiple NC for each.
Notre Dame Football = Duke Basketball. National universal dislike except by their alums or bandwagon fans.
not bad.

georgia's NC was so damn long ago though. but close enough.

if you throw out all Michigans claimed titles, they have 2. one from 1948 and another from 97.

to this generation...its Michigan imo. the Orange were the lead dog in the BE and are a lead dog in the ACC. georgia is a little bit of a 2nd banana.

Some other comps I was thinking about. Michigan Football seems like Kentucky basketball IMO.

Kentucky Basketball = Michigan Football (top 3 brands in each sport. Duke/Kentucky fanbases hate each other like Michigan-Notre Dame fanbases)
Louisville Basketball = Ohio State Football (Pitino/Tressel-Meyer)
Kansas Basketball = Texas Football (Midwest powers who are big dogs in their leagues)
Michigan State Basketball = Florida State Football (contenders a lot, but don't always win NCs)

Georgia Football is a top 10 brand and Syracuse Basketball is a top 10 brand as well.

Michigan. Great fan support, national brand, recognizable brand (us with our Orange, then with their helmets). Always good to very good but with with just 1 title to show for it.

Some other comps I was thinking about. Michigan Football seems like Kentucky basketball IMO.

Kentucky Basketball = Michigan Football (top 3 brands in each sport. Duke/Kentucky fanbases hate each other like Michigan-Notre Dame fanbases)
Louisville Basketball = Ohio State Football (Pitino/Tressel-Meyer)
Kansas Basketball = Texas Football (Midwest powers who are big dogs in their leagues)
Michigan State Basketball = Florida State Football (contenders a lot, but don't always win NCs)

Georgia Football is a top 10 brand and Syracuse Basketball is a top 10 brand as well.
I like these comps. Another one I can think of:
Gonzaga basketball = Boise State football (upstarts from non power conferences who have sustained success).

This one may not quite hit on all aspects, but it is fun to toss out there:
UCLA basketball = USC football (both have rich histories of success, both had a surge in the 2000's before a more recent downturn)

edit: For what it's worth, when I saw the title I immediately thought of Georgia. I'm on board with that comp, for the reasons already stated.

Dare I say it? Clemson?

Sounds pretty accurate to me. Won one national title, perpetually very good, and elite every now and then. Rabid orange-clad following.

Is this a nice way of saying we're not elite?

I can see Clemson for sure. The one difference I see is our hoops program being top 5 in all time wins and I think Clemson is around 20. They are both in similar situations in the last 30 years for sure.

Speaking of Clemson, some of you guys think they have nice fans. Wait to we beat them this year. They can be pretty damn arrogant. I lived in SC for a year and I got into hating Clemson lol

I will say michigan first, Oklahoma is a close second.

I was debating between Georgia and Clemson. Since I didn't want to cop out and name 2 I went with UGA, but I think Clemson is just as good of a comparison.

My top 12 football brands
1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Texas
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Florida
7. Southern California
8. Florida State
9. Oklahoma
10. LSU
11. Georgia
12. Nebraska

My top 12 basketball brands
1. Duke
2. North Carolina
3. Kentucky
4. Kansas
5. UCLA
6. Louisville
7. Indiana
8. UConn
9. Florida
10. Michigan State
11. Syracuse
12. Arizona

This just my opinion and not to be taken as a fact.

Now what Basketball program is most like Syracuse football? My top 3 are Michigan (take away the last 2 seasons), Arkansas, Maryland