What football program is most like SU basketball? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What football program is most like SU basketball?

I agree with Michigan football being like Syracuse basketball. I think it's way better than the Georgia comparison.

Largest venue in sport
Little post season success
Ridiculously good all-time winning percentage
Strong national brand
Multiple crappy titles in the early 1900's
One modern title
Went through murderer's row to get to that title

Reactions: cto
Now what Basketball program is most like Syracuse football? My top 3 are Michigan (take away the last 2 seasons), Arkansas, Maryland
Certainly not the rich tradition, but how about UNLV? Have seen some rough times lately, but program is going to gain traction soon...

money3189 said:
Now what Basketball program is most like Syracuse football? My top 3 are Michigan (take away the last 2 seasons), Arkansas, Maryland

St. John's. We had our first golden age in the 50s and 60s. They had theirs a long time ago as well. Dropped off a bit and then picked up in the 80s with one magical year where we could taste a championship. Lost our kind of crazy/awesome coaches around the same time. We kept it going in the 90s a bit better than they did but they still had great teams in 99 and 00 (similar to our 01 football team that finished 14 in the BCS).

Struggled to maintain and slid to mediocrity (low end bowls for us and their 03 NIT) before the bottom finally fell out. Seemed hopeless for too long, but we are both slowly managing to dig our way back and each seem on the verge of getting back to where we want to be.

Some other comps I was thinking about. Michigan Football seems like Kentucky basketball IMO.

Kentucky Basketball = Michigan Football (top 3 brands in each sport. Duke/Kentucky fanbases hate each other like Michigan-Notre Dame fanbases)
Louisville Basketball = Ohio State Football (Pitino/Tressel-Meyer)
Kansas Basketball = Texas Football (Midwest powers who are big dogs in their leagues)
Michigan State Basketball = Florida State Football (contenders a lot, but don't always win NCs)

Georgia Football is a top 10 brand and Syracuse Basketball is a top 10 brand as well.

Kentucky actually wins, Michigan does not.

Kentucky actually wins, Michigan does not.
Since 1998, Michigan has been to 6 BCS games, 1 NC, 5 conference titles.
Since 1998 Kentucky has been to 4 Final Fours, 2 NCs, 10 conference titles.

Michigan football is a top 5 brand in college football Syracuse isn't a top 5 brand in college basketball.

Have to have more players arrested if the SU basketball program has any notion of keeping up with Georgia.

I'm thinking Florida. Never leaves the state for an OOC game (media never notices this though) and is orange and blue plus only one title and is in a hotbed for talent state wise.

Florida has 3 NCs, 1996, 2006, 2008. We aren't Florida Football we only have 1 NC.

Florida has 3 NCs, 1996, 2006, 2008. We aren't Florida Football we only have 1 NC.

Dang...you're right. For some reason I was thinking they had 1.

That does remind me of something though, I wonder how many times SU would have played for the championship if only 2 teams were selected like in football or if basketball had a bowl system tie in like before the BCS.

Comparing Syracuse Basketball to Georgia Football isn't an insult to either program. Both programs expect to be national contenders each season, both are top 10 brands in their sports, both have 1 NC led by phenom Freshman, both should have more titles with their talent, both have competed in the toughest conference Big East/ACC basketball, SEC football, both have great recruiting bases.

Georgia Football = Syracuse Basketball. Its easy IMO. Michigan Football is a pillar of college football. They have first or second most all time wins. We aren't a pillar of college basketball we are a top 10 brand, but I don't see Syracuse as a top 3 brand in basketball like I do Michigan football.

You do know there is a difference between brand and success, don't you? Brand encompasses things like fan base, venue, media coverage, etc. Syracuse hoops is a GREAT brand, and it's because of the Brand that we are in the ACC and UCONN is not.

You do know there is a difference between brand and success, don't you? Brand encompasses things like fan base, venue, media coverage, etc. Syracuse hoops is a GREAT brand, and it's because of the Brand that we are in the ACC and UCONN is not.

What has Tony have to do with this?

Agreed. Michigan and Georgia do have a great brand in football.

We are in the ACC because we played nice in 2003 and never burned any bridges. The ACC always liked us and we fit their profile as private university with elite hoops, and up ticking football. I never said our brand is poor and I realize we have a national top 10 brand in basketball. However, if calling our brand top 10 is an insult to you then we agree to disagree. ESPN magazine didn't a study of all the basketball and football programs and created an ultimate rankings. Syracuse finished in the top 20 because of basketball, but our basketball ranking was 7th. Our brand was elite, but it wasn't the best of the best which is why I say we are a top 10 brand and I am damn happy with that. 1 or 2 more NCs and we are in the elite of the elite club.

Last edited:
Reactions: cto
I think it's important to note that Michigan has the most wins all time of any football program. I wouldn't quite put Syracuse basketball there.

This is a good point. When it comes to national titles won. Michigan Football is not top. Teams like Bama, USC, ND, Miami, Florida St, Oklahoma, Ohio st. comes to mind. When I think of brand I think of Penn St, UCLA, Michigan, Nebraska and now Oregon. Cuse basketball have been in 3 titles games and final 4's. How often has Michigan been in the title game?

This is a good point. When it comes to national titles won. Michigan Football is not top. Teams like Bama, USC, ND, Miami, Florida St, Oklahoma, Ohio st. comes to mind. When I think of brand I think of Penn St, UCLA, Michigan, Nebraska and now Oregon. Cuse basketball have been in 3 titles games and final 4's. How often has Michigan been in the title game?
Michigan has the most wins all-time in College Football History and is a top 5 program all-time. If you want to say Syracuse Basketball is like Oklahoma Football rather than Georgia Football fine. Oklahoma has 1 NC since the BCS started in 2000 and played for 3 other BCS titles in 2003 against LSU, 2004 against USC, and 2008 against Florida and lost all of those NC title games a la SU in 1987 and 1996.

I just think Oklahoma Football has more titles than Syracuse Basketball thus we aren't the same and Georgia with its 1 NC is the perfect comparison. However, our basketball brand is NOT on Michigan's football brands level as Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville, and Indiana have better basketball brands than Syracuse as they travel everywhere like we do and they have had more success in the form of NCs. Since 1985 the 64 team modern NCAA tournament Syracuse basketball has as many Final Four seasons(4) as we do NIT seasons(4) we are not Michigan Football.

Michigan has the most wins all-time in College Football History and is a top 5 program all-time. If you want to say Syracuse Basketball is like Oklahoma Football rather than Georgia Football fine. Oklahoma has 1 NC since the BCS started in 2000 and played for 3 other BCS titles in 2003 against LSU, 2004 against USC, and 2008 against Florida and lost all of those NC title games a la SU in 1987 and 1996.

I just think Oklahoma Football has more titles than Syracuse Basketball thus we aren't the same and Georgia with its 1 NC is the perfect comparison. However, our basketball brand is NOT on Michigan's football brands level as Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville, and Indiana have better basketball brands than Syracuse as they travel everywhere like we do and they have had more success in the form of NCs. Since 1985 the 64 team modern NCAA tournament Syracuse basketball has as many Final Four seasons(4) as we do NIT seasons(4) we are not Michigan Football.
I didnt say anything about all time wins. We all know michigan has been winning games since the 1800's. I said titles. they dont win enough national titles. Michigan is actually my second favorite team. I lived in detriot when I was young so I love them. The perfection everyone has is that they are a top 5 team but they really arent these days. Their helmets stands out more than anything. they just dont win enough championships

Last edited:
I didnt say about all time wins. We all know michigan has been winning game since the 1800's. I said titles. they dont when enough national titles.

Michigan doesn't have the NC titles I agree. However, I just don't think our basketball brand is as strong as Michigan's football brand. Michigan's football brand IMO is top 5 and our basketball brand is top 10. I don't think the comparison is completely off base as you, and the others comparing SU BB to Michigan FB because they have the Big House like we have the Dome, and they are always typically good like we are.

I just think Georgia FB or Oklahoma FB are closer to SU BB because I see UGA or OU FB as a top 10 brands like I see SU BB.

Georgia or Michigan to SU basketball works for me

I liked the St. John's compariosn to SU football. Maybe Minnesota.

I would say Michigan. Georgia gets better recruits than we do relative to their sport. They have underachieved more in my opinion. Great question though... maybe Virginia Tech?

Michigan doesn't have the NC titles I agree. However, I just don't think our basketball brand is as strong as Michigan's football brand. Michigan's football brand IMO is top 5 and our basketball brand is top 10. I don't think the comparison is completely off base as you, and the others comparing SU BB to Michigan FB because they have the Big House like we have the Dome, and they are always typically good like we are.

I just think Georgia FB or Oklahoma FB are closer to SU BB because I see UGA or OU FB as a top 10 brands like I see SU BB.
good points and I actually agree with you now.

St. John's. We had our first golden age in the 50s and 60s. They had theirs a long time ago as well. Dropped off a bit and then picked up in the 80s with one magical year where we could taste a championship. Lost our kind of crazy/awesome coaches around the same time. We kept it going in the 90s a bit better than they did but they still had great teams in 99 and 00 (similar to our 01 football team that finished 14 in the BCS).

Struggled to maintain and slid to mediocrity (low end bowls for us and their 03 NIT) before the bottom finally fell out. Seemed hopeless for too long, but we are both slowly managing to dig our way back and each seem on the verge of getting back to where we want to be.

I agree - I started a thread once on that very topic...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/are-we-the-st-johns-of-college-football.59010/

good points and I actually agree with you now.

I don't think the Michigan comparison is too far off I just think Michigan FB is slightly higher than SU BB.

I would say Michigan. Georgia gets better recruits than we do relative to their sport. They have underachieved more in my opinion. Great question though... maybe Virginia Tech?

Georgia has been stuck behind Florida that is their problem. Also, 2 years ago that 2012 SEC title game aka the de facto NC game against Alabama UGA was really close to winning. They have underachieved, but they have done well in the regular season except against Florida.

I don't think the Michigan comparison is too far off I just think Michigan FB is slightly higher than SU BB.

Georgia has been stuck behind Florida that is their problem. Also, 2 years ago that 2012 SEC title game aka the de facto NC game against Alabama UGA was really close to winning. They have underachieved, but they have done well in the regular season except against Florida.

Hey, i would love for SU football to ever become what Georgia has been lately They win every year in the hardest league around.