What Football Video Games did you grow up with | Syracusefan.com

What Football Video Games did you grow up with

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
This may show some peoples ages, but was curious. When I wasn't playing football with friends, or at school, I was playing football on my Nintendo. What football games did you grow up playing? For those of you that grew up before the Atari Football game in 1978, you may include that vibrating shock hazard football game if you'd like. ;)
I played mostly Tecmo Bowl on the original Nintendo. Once Madden 94 vame along on the Super Nintendo though...it was all over. I remember thinking that there was no way the graphics could ever get better than this:

I also remember being addicted to Bill Walsh College Football 95. Syracuse's option attack was unstopable by the way.
Bill Walsh College Football 95

Mattel-Football.jpg

Super Tecmo Bowl was an all time favorite. More plays than Tecmo Bowl, it actually kept stats for you, the pre-cursor to all football games after it. Specifically the Madden series. Developers realized people want to play with the teams that they love, and try to make it to the Super Bowl through a football season. Really an amazing leap from Tecmo Bowl. I loved playing with Kansas City. Christian Okoye and Barry Word were bad men.

In college, it was College Football '98, and then the College Football's after that. Got to play with Syracuse and win national championships. Great game. Way too many hours playing in dorm tournaments.

Also loved Ten Yard Fight on the Nintendo.

I grew up with Atari and then advanced to the peak of technology, the Nintendo Gameboy. Don't remember playing any football games though.

Super Tecmo Bowl was an all time favorite. More plays than Tecmo Bowl, it actually kept stats for you, the pre-cursor to all football games after it. Specifically the Madden series. Developers realized people want to play with the teams that they love, and try to make it to the Super Bowl through a football season. Really an amazing leap from Tecmo Bowl. I loved playing with Kansas City. Christian Okoye and Barry Word were bad men.

In college, it was College Football '98, and then the College Football's after that. Got to play with Syracuse and win national championships. Great game. Way too many hours playing in dorm tournaments.

Also loved Ten Yard Fight on the Nintendo.
How do you not mention Bo Jackson on those Tecmo Bowl Games? He was by far, the single greatest video game athlete ever. Abolutely unstoppable. So was Barry Sanders. I remember to save your season back then, you had to write down about a 20 digit alphanumeric code. I also remember the frustration of trying to enter the code to resume your season, only to find out you wrote down the code wrong.

How do you not mention Bo Jackson on those Tecmo Bowl Games? He was by far, the single greatest video game athlete ever. Abolutely unstoppable. So was Barry Sanders. I remember to save your season back then, you had to write down about a 20 digit alphanumeric code. I also remember the frustration of trying to enter the code to resume your season, only to find out you wrote down the code wrong.
Ha! I kept copious notes with those codes written down. My parents probably still have them in their house. Everyone knew about Bo and Barry. I liked playing with some of the slightly lesser known teams and players, because with Bo it was almost too easy.

There was a college game on the Genesis that was great. It was during our good years. We had the one S logo that didn't last long.

I also want to say I played a lot of Joe Montana football.

My favorite all time though was Mutant League Football.

Tecmo Bowl, all of the Maddens series, all of the NCAA football series.

Ha! I kept copious notes with those codes written down. My parents probably still have them in their house. Everyone knew about Bo and Barry. I liked playing with some of the slightly lesser known teams and players, because with Bo it was almost too easy.
I remember that we didn't allow anyone to use the 49'ers...it was basically cheating.

Original Tecmo Bowl was an interception fest.

Super Tecmo Bowl was a game changer.

Absolutely.

Later years, Sega's Mutant League football.(already mentioned). For those that never played... You could call an audible for superspeed, super strength, electrocution. Bribe the refs(spitting penalty), and throw bombs... Actual bombs to the other team, to take out their player. Limited cheating, so you needed to strategize when you would...

Besides Super Tecmo Bowl and the Maddens, the one that stuck out to me was Super Play Action Football for snes. The only game with a diagonal field and you could also play NFL, college, or even make a high school team

I can't remember the name, but I think it was on Sega Genesis. You actually chose a player to "be" during a play, and you had a first person view through the helmet for the entire play. It made it really hard to run, or run after the catch, because it was like you were wearing blinders. You had absolutely no peripheral vision.

I think it was Madden 95 where if you kept hitting hurdle you couldn't be tackled as a RB.

I forget which year it was, but if you had Dorsey Levens, and hit the spin move, you absolutely couldn't be tackled.

Also, the Fake Punt was pretty much good for a TD every time you ran the play.
(It was Riley Dixon before he even existed)

Was never allowed any gaming systems as a kid but one of my friends gave me his NCAA Football '99 PC game. My parents thought I was up late finishing book reports but little did they know I was running the option with McNabb/McIntosh/Konrad & wreaking havoc on opposing offenses with Keith Bulluck A-gap blitzes.

There was a college game on the Genesis that was great. It was during our good years. We had the one S logo that didn't last long.

I also want to say I played a lot of Joe Montana football.

My favorite all time though was Mutant League Football.
I'll have you know that bringing Mutant League up, and reviving those memories, I picked it up off eBay today. Lol, smh.

I have a game room with Nintendo, Sega, Ps-1, 2, 3 & 4 hooked up with a video game library. I'd completely forgotten how much I'd liked the game, had to add it.

The worst part is, the room gets used maybe 5 times a year, mainly when we're entertaining and people want to try out VR.

I forget which year it was, but if you had Dorsey Levens, and hit the spin move, you absolutely couldn't be tackled.

Also, the Fake Punt was pretty much good for a TD every time you ran the play.
(It was Riley Dixon before he even existed)
Fake Punt Run, right?!