What Football Video Games did you grow up with | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What Football Video Games did you grow up with

I'll have you know that bringing Mutant League up, and reviving those memories, I picked it up off eBay today. Lol, smh.

I have a game room with Nintendo, Sega, Ps-1, 2, 3 & 4 hooked up with a video game library. I'd completely forgotten how much I'd liked the game, had to add it.

The worst part is, the room gets used maybe 5 times a year, mainly when we're entertaining and people want to try out VR.
Awesome!
I think I just found the MAME ROM for it.. Woot. Kids will have a laugh. I forgot that the lineman had a tendency to fart. Only a 5yd penalty for killing the QB.

New pc version out, that is supposed to be coming to console. Be a super bonus, if they included the original.

Last edited:
The ones you put your players on a playing field board that vibrates them around and you used cotton as a fb. Ask you grandpa about those.
In addition to this game we use to flip cards. Back in the day, all football player cards had a play on the back along with player stats.

Last edited:
NES_Play_Action_Football_Cover.jpg

This was my first one I played. Of Tecmo Bowl took over pretty quickly lol.

imgres

TV Football. Board game. You bet chips on run/pass, left/middle/right, short/med/long. If the next play would get a first down. Defense may have had a couple options.

Mutant League was so great, played that a lot in college on the Sega Genesis.

The upside of having divorced parents was getting game consoles and computers at each house. Had both Atari football and Intellivision football as a kid (Intellivision was much better). Also has a great game called Touchdown Football (I think) for the Commodore 64. Played entire seasons of Super Tecmo Bowl during all-nighters in college. Unfortunately my Pats were atrocious back then so it was impossible to win with them.

Tecmo Super Bowl for Nintendo might be my favorite game of all time. I remember having the crazy idea that “what if they make a game where you could make trades and sign free agents like real football so the rosters change every year!?” Once Madden started doing that, it was over. I also loved the Madden where the ambulance would come out and usually run players over. Lol, so ridiculous. I still have video game Pat Summeral’s “oh no! There’s a man down.” Pop into my head on occasion.

I loved Dynasty Mode on PS2 for all the NCAA games too.

Mutant League was so great, played that a lot in college on the Sega Genesis.

The upside of having divorced parents was getting game consoles and computers at each house. Had both Atari football and Intellivision football as a kid (Intellivision was much better). Also has a great game called Touchdown Football (I think) for the Commodore 64. Played entire seasons of Super Tecmo Bowl during all-nighters in college. Unfortunately my Pats were atrocious back then so it was impossible to win with them.
Since you mentioned the Commodore64, Sporting News Baseball on that computer was crazy ahead of it's time.

This was also my school bus go-to, along with the basketball one. You can buy them brand new currently. Must be a throw back revival happening. I was very jealous of the friends that had the “head to head” version of this.

Instead of madden I always only bought the college version by EA, “NCAA Football (year). But my first one to hook me hard was “NCAA Gamebreaker” on PS1.

I guess I’m a bit younger than most on here, my first football game was NFL Blitz 2001. I was 8 and remember being so entertained by the trash talking and hitting after the play that were featured in that particular game. I played that for a couple years, until I got a PS2, at which point I got NCAA Football 03 and have gotten every NCAA game since. I get Madden every 3-4 years, but NCAA is my favorite.

Being a Cuse football fan in the post McNabb-Harrison-Freeney era has meant our teams aren’t very good in most of these games, obviously. So I have taken to really enjoying “rebuilding” teams in Dynasty mode. My favorite is taking a school like Wyoming or UMass and turn them into the Alabama of college football. It’s a ton of fun even at 25 if I’m being honest.

Started with Madden '92 for Sega Genesis and moved to NCAA (Bill Walsh College Football 95) as soon as it came out.

My favorite play on Madden '92 was where I would use Randall Cunningham to role out and run with him or throw to the RB going out to the flat because it was the closest thing to running the option, haha.

In Bill Walsh, I would take that sick Colorado team and run the option all day with Cordell Steward and Rashaan Salaam.

That was my school bus, and math class video game. I didn't do very well in math. If I had a dime for every teachers desk drawer this thing ended up in.
If you had done better in math, maybe you would.;)

Last edited:
I believe this might have been the slowest game ever created. Literally took 2 minutes to “run” down the field

It was and I was only allowed to play for 30 minutes a day, so it was frustrating lol.

VCR Quarterback was literally a video game but not really - that was in the rotation too

Reactions: CIL
Had this one that was similar to it. Used to play on bus on away games for basketball games. My teammates would love to fight over this game.
s-l1600.jpg
they make retro style games like this. thought about getting it for me son but he'd either think it was stupid or never put it down - there'd be no middle ground

edit - "me son"?

View attachment 119613

This was my first one I played. Of Tecmo Bowl took over pretty quickly lol.
THIS! To all you Tecmo fans out there, this game was far superior. Don't care if it was 'slower'. Original Tecmo gave you the choice of 4 plays. This had an entire playbook including option plays. Tecmo Super Bowl was the ultimate when it finally came out but original Tecmo was like playing arcade football. NES Play Action was the first real football sim in my book and was the pre-cursor to Madden.

NFL 2K5 is the greatest football game of all time. Over a decade later and there are mechanics that EA still hasn't gotten down.