what happens when the merry-go-round stops | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

what happens when the merry-go-round stops

the market will adjust but if it becomes even more heavy to the top 10-20 teams and fan interest in the other 50 teams starts to die the TV money goes away.. Fans want a chance to win the current model gave them a slight hope, this model if it swings too far does not.
College fandom largely comes from alumni and locals, people cheer for D-3 schools, and passive fandom out of the “what should we do on a Saturday” will the keep the game going across major sports.

It's one of my greatest concerns for the expanded playoff. You are not asking fans to travel to 3 rounds of neutral site games (not including a potential first-round game), in a city where there are often minimum stays (e.g. CFP championship is a 3 night room block if you buy an official package thru your school). Who is going to go to all of those games?

You’re watering down the product and I’m curious how this plays out. I completely agree with the 3, even a team potentially playing 2 games. The average fan maybe can justify paying for one for a historic game, once in a lifetime game. But paying for 2 or 3. So then even if they fill up the stadium, which I think is still possible. Who are those “people”. They’re not die hard fans of either team, largely. They’re “event” fans. It really changes the college atmosphere IMO. CFB will never be what we grew up with IMO.

Every school is limited on the number of players, talent is going to spread out. And reality is going to set in and volitility and compensation levels are going to settle in.
eventually there will be rampant collusion between schools, i bet

Every school is limited on the number of players, talent is going to spread out. And reality is going to set in and volitility and compensation levels are going to settle in.
it's an interesting question. I was chatting with someone about this recently and i think it depends on how much the school wants to, and can, push the donors/boosters.

if the schools tell them, "hey, to get the access you want (e.g. tickets, perks, etc.), you have to donate $xx a year to the NIL (in addition to facilities, etc), then it might be more sustainable than people think.

i dont think anyone has an idea on when and at what levels it settles out at right now, and it will vary drastically by school.

Last edited:
eventually there will be rampant collusion between schools, i bet
there will be a pricing model that develops and teams can decide how they want to allocate resources. Players are going to have a wide range of motivations. For some its the league, some its the degree, some are serious and mature, some are knuckleheads.

SU is going to have to create a non cash value proposition that helps retain and attract kids and use NIL as the closer.

For example SU has resources that other school might not in sports marketing and communications. Be a leader in helping players monetize their brand.

You don’t think that the coaching staffs dictate to the NIL collectives and other donors what recruits should be prioritized? The schools are up to their necks in this.
I never said otherwise. Tell me, what can the NCAA do about it?

I do not believe there is any legal precedent mandating or condoning pay for play in college sports. The NCAA can regulate that, including sham NIL deals. The reason they don’t, IMHO, is that they don’t want to take on the SEC and the BiG. That’s of a piece with the way marquee teams from those and other conferences are treated in sanctions investigations.
There are ways to control or put limits on the current chaos, and when and if the top 25-30 programs start to be significantly affected we’ll see them implemented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom